Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Naps?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:29 PM

When did your child stop napping? This question stems from another message board where a mom is basically trying to find ways to force her 4 year old to nap. I think 4 is getting to the point where if they have had a busy day and are tired, fine nap... but if not maybe they don't need it.

I think the mom is nuts in the head, but we all parent our own ways. I think quiet time is good enough.

Teresa will be 3 in July and hasn't napped in a while. I think it's been about 8 or 9 months since her last regular nap. She sleeps 12 or so hours most nights, and is up from 9-9 every day. Occasionally she will nap, but honestly we are talking like once a month or so.

So when did your child stop napping... all kids are different I understand that, but I can't find the infrmation this woman was talking about regarding brain development and naps. All I'm finding is that most kids cut out their naps on their own by 3 or 4.

12 Replies to Naps?

re: Naps?
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:58 PM
I am not a parent so I don't know if I'm allowed to reply.

As a child, I never napped. My parents tried to make me nap but it never worked. When I went to kindergarten (3 years old) and it was nap time, I just laid on my back and stared at the ceiling for 30 minutes. It was so boring and frustrating. I think at this age you know if you need to nap or not.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 07:20 PM
James was 18 months, at the MOST. He cut out the napping real early. And still, he just can't - he tries, and it's just an exercise in frustration for him, he just can't shut his brain off for that long. Even in regards to bedtime, he HAS to go until he's just about to fall over, he can't just lay down, relax and fall asleep. He gets 10 hours sleep on the average day, and most days is usually so ready to get going, that he's laying there wide awake when I come in to wake him up for school! (I'm hoping that one day, he'll catch on that it's perfectly acceptable to get up and begin getting dressed, but so far, no dice...)

I used to get so jealous when I would take him to playgroups and the moms would talk about all the stuff they do while their kids are taking these marathon naps every afternoon, lol...I just don't have a kid that's wired that way!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 09:01 PM
Josiane wrote:

I am not a parent so I don't know if I'm allowed to reply.

As a child, I never napped. My parents tried to make me nap but it never worked. When I went to kindergarten (3 years old) and it was nap time, I just laid on my back and stared at the ceiling for 30 minutes. It was so boring and frustrating. I think at this age you know if you need to nap or not.

I was the same way in pre-school (3-4). Though, the teacher caught on and let me play with some toys while everyone else napped.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 09:39 PM
Apparently I stopped napping around 2 as well.

This woman was seriously nuts in the head... she was nothing in comparasin to some of the idiot n00bs on ddn. OMG. I've never seen anything like her.

Apparently nap time wasn't up for negotiation and she felt that it was appropriate to keep her kid up later because she got home from work late.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:40 AM
We used to dance with a mom that did that - it was nothing to hear her tell tale of being out shopping, with more than one kid, after midnight. And only one of the four wasn't school aged!

We used to just let James sleep and wake up as he pleased. His preschool didn't start until noon, I stay at home with him, so we didn't have anything that we were doing that required we be up early, so we just kind of went "Live and let live" on the bedtimes. But now, since he's in school, and has somewhere to be in the morning, he's got to go to bed. And even still, he goes to bed later than most - one of the girls he dances with is apparently "insufferable" if she's not in bed by 8. If I put James to bed at 8, he'd be up, and ready for the day, at like 3 in the morning. He just doesn't need sleep the same way she does.
By Babygirl84 Comments: 2, member since Wed Mar 20, 2013
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 AM
My daughter cut out her naps not long after she turned 3 shes now nearly 5 although I do find some days after pre school she'd be very tired and nearly want to lie down and have a nap if I let her!!
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 AM
I also stopped napping VERY early on. Less than two years old. Several pre-k's basically forced me to nap anyway. (We also had a sitter that tried to force me to nap. "Babies take naps." She was fired promptly when my parents were informed by my older siblings.) What would happen most days is I would lay on my cot bored and frustrated, fall asleep toward the end of nap time, wake up groggy because I didn't get a proper amount of sleep, then have trouble sleeping later that night because I shouldn't have been sleeping during the day anyway. Repeat the next day. And the next. It was pretty disastrous. Would it have killed them to have one teacher take the non-napping kids to a separate room??
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 02:20 AM
my nephews cut out regular naps at 4-5. Alexander still is going strong, but he's turning 2 next month.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 AM
E stopped regular day naps sometime after the age of two, but he still had the occasional one. Even now that he's almost seven, we make him nap if he's cranky, has been up too late the night before, or will be up late that night. But it isn't every day, and not even every week. I don't have a problem with naps - I often take them myself!

Helen
By punkgirl59 Comments: 4805, member since Wed Feb 13, 2002
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 04:07 PM
Reagan was probably around 2 and a half when she stopped napping permanently. For about 4-6 months prior to that, it was pretty hit or miss.

She'll be 3 in less than a month and it's very rare that she wants to take a nap. Sometimes if she gets up super early (she usually sleeps in until 9 or 10, so anything earlier than 7:30 is extremely early for her), she'll crash for an hour in the early afternoon. Other days she'll fall asleep in the car while driving to the grocery store or something, but that 5-10 minutes seems to be enough to keep her going until bedtime. I wish she'd still nap, cause heaven knows I could use a nap every day too.

There's a girl on my Facebook who always posts about how she's afraid that her little boy is going to stop napping soon. He's almost 4 and a half and he still takes a 2-3 hour nap EVERY. DAY. If only...
By millysmommy Comments: 847, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 05:10 PM
Both my daughters stopped napping around 9 months. I thought I was in heaven when my son napped until age 2.

Mine are alot like Theresas kid. Will not sleep until worn out until their end no matter what I try. Because of that, and the fact both me and my husband work evenings, and that I homeschool so they don't have to be up early they live on very odd schedules. But they seem to be thriving just fine.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 04:33 AM
I forgot to mention something in my previous post.

I have a theory that a person's sleep schedule is established early on in life. When I was a baby, my father stayed home with me during the day and worked nights. He would let me sleep for HOURS on him while he napped too. Then I would keep my mom up all night. Oops. Then I stopped needing naps. Cue the nap issue in pre-k. I can remember having sleep issues at a very young age; I remember being about 5-7 years old, and literally laying awake in my bed all night. I remember many nights of not being able to fall asleep for such a long time. I think that these situations set me up for life long sleep trouble, because I still have major sleep issues and always have. Chances are if you have a child with sleep issues, they may always have sleep issues. Try to establish good sleep patterns as early in life as possible, even if you don't have a reason to have your child on a schedule.

ReplySendWatch