Forum: Irish / Good Luck, Congratulations, Thank You

Congratulations to our Dance Drama team!
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:19 PM

The Dance Drama team from my school, the Young School of Irish Dance In Rochester, NY, got second place at Worlds!! I am so proud of them, and wish I could have been on the team. Do they allow adult dancers in the Drama comps? (Not at all questioning the teachers' judgement in this, just curious, I don't know what the rules are for that.)

12 Replies to Congratulations to our Dance Drama team!

re: Congratulations to our Dance Drama team!
By ep_dance
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:23 PM
Hm, it says "over 16", dosn´t it. So I guess it should apply to us dino-dancers as well ;)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:35 PM
If you were to compete on a dance drama team as far as I know it would make you in the & covers after that....
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 PM
Ahh, thank LlamaLlamaDuck, I hadn't that about that part. I was hoping it might be like singing - didn't affect solo dancing "status", but it probably isn't. Rats.
By Joyette78
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:41 PM
The Southern region allows "Any age, may include adult dancers" for dance drama. The only rules for age in the Worlds syllabus are for using younger dancers for an older level. www.clrg.ie . . .

Choreography does not allow adults though. :(

Congrats to your team on the second place!!
By newsockspookymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 01:14 AM
One of the drama teams was a team almost exclusively made up of adults. They were from Brazil! Their routine was quite good and certainly got the crowd going for a while. Heritage's entry also had what seemed like quite a few adults in their drama. I don't actually think dramas affect the level at which you compete as a solo dancer, but I could be wrong.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 03:08 AM
It also depends on if the adults compete as adults or if they compete in the overs.

In the case of the team from Brazil they prob aren't competing so I'm not too sure this would affect them.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 03:17 AM
Dance dramas are open to all dancers, whether Aduls or & Overs. We found this out when worlds was in Philly, because several of us danced who were still adult competitors at the time.

Well done to your school Kirvin! My school's drama took 5th! I would have been there, except for my 8 week old son. Next time :)
By Dresswitch
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 PM
Saw the Dance Drama's on the live comm. and really loved the one your school did! :) Congratulations! :)
By Mariel4444
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 PM
My school has also had adults in dance dramas before
By usnea
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 03:42 PM
Congratulations to your school - great news! I was on our school's dance drama team at Nationals last time it was in San Diego. Our team was all ages and we had 4 adult dancers. It was a fantastic experience. Maybe you'll be part of your dance drama team one day soon!!
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 04:55 PM
Congrats to both of your schools- that's awesome! I think being in a drama would be so much fun!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 06:16 PM
Dance Drama is awsome, as long as you have a team that melds well together and are willing to be a team.
As with any team dance- ceili, figure, or drama, if you aren't working well together with good attitudes, it can be miserable. However, if you are a good group with supportive attitudes, it can be fabulous.
As my TC says, dance drama gives you the chance to act with dancing, use your arms, and focus on a different aspect of your dancing.

ReplySendWatch