Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Throwing up all the time.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:40 AM

I am a bit bummed out about my fitness goals at the moment.

I am not an under active person. I take two one hour cardio aerobics classes a week. I also run twice a week (couch to 5 k). Sometimes I swap one of my 30 minute runs for swimming laps or a session at the gym where I spent most of my time on the cross trainer, but also rotate through sit ups, planks and some light weight lifting.

I have accepted a new job teaching pole fitness and will hopefully be taking my first class in two weeks time. I decided to ramp up my fitness regime so I'm in better shape for my classes.

I started with the Jillian Micheal's 30 Day shred DVD. I started the first series, and stuck to the easier/modified moves. I didn't even get halfway through the 20 minutes before I felt that dizzy sick feeling, and had to stop and throw up.

This happens every time I try to step up my regime. In the past I've worked with personal trainers who have tried quick rotations through abs, cardio & strength and it always ends the same: me feeling like hell midway through and vomiting.

Is this something I should just push through until it stops happening? Or should I be looking towards slowing down a bit? Could it possibly be nutrition related?

I'm just scared that my fitness will never improve if I keep sticking to what doesn't really push me. I can do my cardio classes full out and experience very little discomfort. Maybe a little out of breath by the end, but a long way from dizzy and nauseous.

Help?

13 Replies to Throwing up all the time.

re: Throwing up all the time.
By TuniePremium member
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:21 AM
Have you seen a doctor about this yet?? That would be my first step.
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:28 AM
I haven't seen a doctor about it, mainly because I didn't think it was too serious an issue. The trainers who've been supervising me didn't seem too concerned about it so I thought it might have been a common thing, perhaps for people who are unfit (which I don't consider myself, hence the confusion).
re: Throwing up all the time. (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:30 AM
This reminds me of a thread I read on the ZIN forum (Zumba). I can't link it but someone posted this quote

"Exercise induced nausea is a feeling of sickness or vomiting which can occur shortly after exercise has stopped as well as during exercise itself. It may be a symptom of either over exertion during exercise, or from too abruptly ending an exercise session. People engaged in high intensity exercise such as aerobics and bicycling have reported suffering from exercise induced nausea. A study of 20 volunteers conducted at Nagoya University, Japan associated a higher degree of exercise induced nausea after eating. It has been suggested that exercise induced nausea could be caused by increased endorphin levels, which are released while exercising. Endorphins have been associated with nausea and vomiting, so this theory is plausible, but unsupported by evidence."

Exercise-induced nausea is a feeling of sickness or vomiting during or shortly after a workout. While feeling sick during a workout is a common occurrence, it can be frustrating and even worrisome. Determining the cause of exercise-induced nausea is the first step in preventing nausea or vomiting during or after a workout. Causes of Exercise-Induced Nausea There are many reasons why exercise-induced nausea can occur. Some of the more common causes include: •Low blood sugar levels due to working out on an empty stomach •Overexertion •Dehydration •Motion sickness from performing abdominal exercises

Preventing Exercise-Induced Nausea Although exercise-induced nausea can be troublesome, there are ways to prevent feeling sick or vomiting during or after a workout. 1. If exercise-induced nausea is caused by working out on an empty stomach, eating a small meal or snack an hour or so before a workout may prevent nausea and vomiting from occurring. Stick with a high-carb, low fat meal. The carbs from the meal provide the body with the energy needed to make it through a workout. A high carb/low-fat meal or snack digests easily as well and a moderate amount of protein will help to stave off hunger through a workout.

2. Oftentimes exercise-induced nausea will occur during high-intensity workouts. Pushing too hard or performing exercise at a pace above one's fitness level are common causes of exercise-induced nausea. If overexertion is the cause, try scaling back a workout or working up to performing high-intensity workouts.

ANd there was this article: www.examiner.com . . .
By TuniePremium member
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:33 AM
Well I do know that some people throw up when they overexert themselves, whether they are fit or not. It's the fact that it is happening to you so frequently that has me a tiny bit concerned. Majere listed all the other reasons that I could think of that may cause it. My main one was dehydration; are you drinking enough before, during, and after you work out?
re: Throwing up all the time. (karma: 2)
By hummingbird
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:41 AM
I think I would go and see my doctor and see if there were any underlying factors that I should be aware of. Like a heart murmur, for most people this isn't an issue, but it is something that you need to be aware of if you're teaching fitness.
By ballerinatwirler
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 05:49 PM
I agree with everyone else that you should go to the doctor.

The only time I've ever felt sick while working out is when I was over doing it but even then I never threw up.
By girlwithghilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 06:32 PM
I always used to have a problem getting nauseous in yoga classes, and I knew some other people who did as well. One of them asked their teacher one time and she said not to eat before class. That seemed to fix it for everybody. I have always (and still get) nauseous whenever I run, so I just have to avoid it.

However, your situation sounds a little more extreme since you're actually vomiting, and if you're running it doesn't seem like you'd be unfit enough to warrant that reaction. Always best to get things checked out by a doctor, especially if you're in an active career. If the nausea seems at all related to cramping pain in your abdominal muscles, it may be worthwhile to take a look at your magnesium and potassium intake in case you're not getting enough.
By xBallet_babex
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 02:08 AM
I've heard diet can be a factor, but I haven't researched it a lot. If you're eating poorly or the improper foods before working out hard, you can have more issues with this. I think there are a lot of things this could be from just pushing too hard to a blood sugar dip or something else relatively minor. I'd still see a doctor if this is a common thing.

If you can do a cardio class without issues, could it be all the up and down that happens when you mix cardio and strength? I know in the JM DVDs she tends to be on the floor one minute and jumping the next. Dumb question, but you don't close your eyes at all when you workout do you? Some people will do that to concentrate on their moves and make themselves motion sick.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 03:48 AM
How is your hydration?
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:13 AM
Thanks Y'all.

I know in the JM DVDs she tends to be on the floor one minute and jumping the next.

This jumps out at me as the common thread. I don't close my eyes when I work out, but on the other occasions that I've been sick, it has always been during an 'up then down' kind of thing (burpees? No chance in hell. I learned that very quickly). I also threw up for about half an hour after using a high vibration pilates machine once, so I'm wondering if it might even be a motion thing.

I'm generally well hydrated heading into a work out. I drink water like a camel all day every day. Nutrition wise I am a bit all over the place. Yesterday I only had a fruit muesli bar before I got into it, so I guess it could have been low blood sugars. I did get the shakes for about an hour afterwards.

I think I'll go talk to my doctor to see if she can shed any light. In the meantime i guess I'll just stick to what I can do.
By Tishwah
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 09:15 AM
I know motion sickness (like car or sea sickness) is caused by the fluid in your ears sloshing around, maybe that is why the up down up down movements (like Burpees) are getting to you? I remember being told by a doctor thats why some people get motion sickness and some don't.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 09:27 AM
It might have something to do with your balance, like Tishwah says. It reminds me of this: en.wikipedia.org . . . that my mom has.

Basically, crystals in the ear come loose and move around and that makes you really really dizzy.

Since it seems to come when you do certain movements and NOT simply when you're exerting yourself.
By buckeye2
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 05:55 PM
I have trouble with the up and down thing too. Makes me lightheaded and feel sick, but I back off at the first sign so it doesn't get worse and I can finish my workout.

Are you holding your breath a lot?

ReplySendWatch