Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Children & Parenting
Teething. OMG, help!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 04:32 AM

M is teething. He has been for what seems like months now, but the past week or so, things have been turned up to eleven.

During the day he's fine - distracted, mostly happy, dribbling like mad - generally what you'd expect. He's asleep in the wrap at the moment, so he is still napping sort-of OK. But the nights? OMG, the nights are like nothing we've ever dealt with so far (and M was really colicky)

He goes to bed at 7:30-8:00, and will sleep until about 11. Then it's on for young and old. Last night, he was screaming and clawing at his face at 11:30, from 12:30 straight through until 2-something, 5-something, and 6:50. Half the time he's still asleep when he starts. :(

Last night, the Long Night of the Teeth, he was inconsolable. Nothing worked, not even bringing him back to our bed. He'd dose off while being held, but as soon as I put him back in his cot, he'd start again. It was so bad, I just cried and cried and cried in the rocker, while M was chewing my hand.

I don't know if I can take another night like that one.

I've tried:
Children's Panadol/paracetamol (dosage: once every 4 hours)
Nurofen/ibuprofen for babies (once every 6 hours)
Bonjela Teething Gel (once every 3 hours)
Hylands Teething Gel (every 15 mins until bubs passes out, according to the box)
and lots of cuddles, rocking, nursing, cold teething toys, damp washcloths, distractions, rusks and pieces of apple during the day etc. He has an amber necklace which he wears during the day, and an anklet which only comes off for baths. I try to use the Panadol and Nurofen sparingly - Nurofen at bedtime because he at least gets a good block of sleep in the evening - and only when he really needs it.

(We do have a bottle of Brauer's homeopathic teething stuff, in case of desperation, but I'd rather not have to use it, despite how popular it is, because I disagree with the use of some of the ingredients)

Still no teeth showing, either.

Does anybody have any other tips, suggestions, war stories and commiserations, or rays of hope to share?

(Oh, and I'm taking him to the doc for his imms this afternoon, so will bring it up with them as well)

26 Replies to Teething. OMG, help!

re: Teething. OMG, help! (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 04:53 AM
Freeze a wash cloth. Not until it's frozen solid, just until it's good and stiff. They make teething ring toys that you can freeze and let them chomp on, but I was always a little too nervous to just let James have at those.

Are his gums red, or anything? Because this seems like a pretty steep level of reaction.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 PM
Edited by Tunie (138112) on 2013-04-02 22:58:52
The only thing I can think of is Camilia. Is it available where you are and have you tried it? I don't know if it's any different than the Hyland's gel you tried.

camiliateething.com

Poor M. :( I really hope he feels better soon.

EDIT: Just read this on the Camilia website:

"Use a clean finger, moistened gauze pad or damp washcloth to massage your baby’s gums. The pressure can ease your baby’s discomfort."
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 05:22 AM
I used to let my baby daughter teeth on my finger. That seemed to work the best. Until she actually cut a couple of teeth and then I had to be careful or she'd bite me, lol. She had a really strong bite. She could chew the nipple right off of pacifiers and bottles. She got her teeth really early. When it was really bad, I put just a tiny dot of baby orajel on my finger and rubbed her gums pretty firm and let her gum away at my finger.

And the good thing of course, is that this time does pass. A few short years from now, he'll be losing those baby teeth and you'll be playing tooth fairy. Hang in there!

kk~
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 05:26 AM
Popsicles. You can make your own natural ones with banana or slushed up mango or other fruits, etc. Or make them out of fruit juice or even water for an ice cube on a stick.

A gigantic piece of carrot that is ice cold, make it too big to fit all at once in the mouth. As long as he doesn't have both bottom and top that have already come through then this is safe. Ice cold celery is also good.

An ice cube wrapped in cheese cloth.

Spoon feed slushed ice.

Frozen breast milk into ice cubes.

Frozen pacifier.

Frozen banana. You can leave the peel on a portion it so it can be held or wrap a towel around it.

A wooden spoon. They are food safe and can be gnawed on.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:23 AM
Don't waste time on homeopathy (Hylands, Camila, etc).

No personal experience, but my mom friends swear by frozen washcloths.
re: Teething. OMG, help!
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:12 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

T, his gums are swollen/thick and white where the teeth are pushing behind, but otherwise normal coloured. I agree it's an insane reaction, and I kind of hope this is going to be multiple eruptions at once to explain how painful it is for him. Interestingly his gums are also white where the molars will eventually be, and he seems to be concentrating a lot of his gnawing efforts back there, as well as at the front where you'd expect. There are no bumpy teeth to feel yet, though. :(

I never thought of a frozen washcloth! I've let him gnaw on damp ones, but didn't think of a frozen one. It's not too cold? I did try ice once (crushed and in one of those mesh feeding bag thingies), but he hated it, so I haven't tried it since. I'll make up some breastmilk iceblocks and give it another go.

I'm not sure if Camilia or Orajel are sold over here, but I'll keep an eye out for them. I suspect Orajel will be similar to Bonjela, and take the edge off, but but it doesn't seem to last long enough some times.

Kekoa, I'm not a fan of homeopathic remedies (and even though it's 0.0000 -something% diluted, I'm still uneasy about using stuff like belladonna, particularly in kids), especially if, like the Brauers stuff, it's not TGA-approved. :?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 PM
Orajel is even worse for them than the homeopathic stuff and Camilla has similar ingredients totthe stuff that you already have (Bauer's).

Camilla worked really well for us.

Is panadol ibuprofen or acetaminophen? Ibuprofen was all that worked for us as far as teething went.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 02:00 PM
The washcloth isn't too cold, because you don't let it get all the way frozen. Soak it in water, and freeze it until it's good and stiff, but still pliable, and let them have a go at it. Keep multiples on hand, LOL...

My aunt also used to freeze bagels to feed James, that might be worth something too. They get to gnaw away, and they get the pressure on their gums. And typically by the time they can gum it enough to get any food off of it, it's a pretty small bite.

His molars back there might be shifting in to place, but even early, he's not due for those for a couple years yet. The 6 year molars were the only teeth that actually bothered James at all, go figure.
re: Teething. OMG, help! (karma: 2)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 02:21 PM
So this isn't advice however it is a true story, so I'm telling you anyway, lol. Apparently what my mom did for my sister and I was to take a baby sock, fill it with sugar, briefly soak it in whiskey, and freeze it. So essentially the same concept as the frozen washcloth, but it was sweet and boozy and after nawing on it for a bit, we'd sleeee p. In completely unrelated news, both my sister and I are neither of us alcoholics though we do prefer whiskey as our hard liquor of choice. So no real advice, just hopefully got to make a semi-horrified laugh and I'm sending lots of love to you and your little one.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 03:21 PM
Kekoa wrote:

Don't waste time on homeopathy (Hylands, Camila, etc).

These work for plenty of people, so why the hate?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 03:48 PM
We typically use homeopathic when we can. The Camilla did work as well for us as the advil.

Comment #10093645 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-04-03 12:07:06 double post

On Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 AM
Edited by Tunie (138112) on 2013-04-03 11:47:58
I just remembered that Hyland's also makes teething tablets. But then I looked them up, and they have belladonna. So does the Hyland's Teething Gel.

EDIT: TEETHING BISCUITS.

Also, I keep reading how children under two years of age should not be given benzocaine products.

The other thing I keep reading is to make sure not to give the baby anything frozen SOLID. It can do more harm than good.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 05:40 PM
Many homeopathic remedies are not FDA approved, which I am guessing TGA is an equivilant. And just because a product says "all natural ingedients" does not necessarily make it safe. But perhaps this a topic for another thread.

kk~
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 05:48 PM
^^It's not hate, it's just pointing out the facts. :) Homeopathy has absolutely no basis in science. At best, positive effects of homeopathic remedies can be attributed to the placebo effect.

nccam.nih.gov . . .
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:48 AM
Edited by Kekoa (69553) on 2013-04-03 12:37:06
Edited by Kekoa (69553) on 2013-04-03 12:39:04 fixed picture
I hate on homeopathy because you're spending money on what are literally sugar tablets. There's none of the actual substance in it anymore, they're literally selling you "water with a memory."

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/homeopathy_full_of_crap_zps2704f951.jpg'

Study after study shows that homeopathy has none of the substance it boasts. If it "works", it's coincidence or placebo effect (if I were a teething baby, some sugar pills would distract me for awhile).

Most people have no idea what homeopathy actually is. They think it's the same as any herbal remedy. And that's not true. There are actual herbal remedies that work. The image above is a bit crude, but it's true...if water had a "memory", there's a lot more in it than belladona or arnica, and most of the "memory" will be taken up by poop.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:28 PM
How can something frozen solid harm a baby if you are controlling the contact of hand to the cold and mouth to the cold so that you don't frostbite him/her? As long as it is too big to swallow it's going to melt in the mouth and it's just liquid at that point.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:41 PM
^ Because it is so hard it can harm the baby's gums and cause them even more pain.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:59 PM
Yea I think the adult would have to be in control so that the hard block doesn't get slammed into the mouth.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:10 PM
The way I'm understanding it, they aren't concerned about the kid getting slammed with it. Even just chewing on it can be bad and they claim it can bruise the gums and cause the child more discomfort. I'm merely stating what I've read. Although chewing/gnawing on something solid doesn't seem like a good plan for anyone, regardless of age. Dentist try to discourage patients from chewing ice, for example.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution. We could all sit here all day and point out reasons why this solution won't work and that solution won't work and go on and on.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:32 AM
Things that helped M....

hylands gel and tablets... yes,yes i know...but Id rather use that then Ora gel. ;)

cool wash cloth.

and

AMBER TEETHING NECKLACE!
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 09:44 AM
Thanks again, everyone. :) I know there is no way he is cutting his molars first, but the way he keeps rubbing those gums they're definitely shuffling around in there. I was worried the frozen cloth/milk cubes/etc might hurt him because they're so cold: like putting ice directly onto a bruise, it's not exactly pleasant. :? I didn't need to try the frozen remedy today, but I have some stuff stashed (and teething rings in the fridge) just in case.

Last night he only woke twice - at 2 (for feed and change) and at 5 (screaming). I don't know if it was because he was wrecked from having his 6mth imms, or because I left the amber necklace on (usually I take it off overnight and leave the anklet on), or it was just luck.

I didn't bother with the Hylands stuff last night because it doesn't seem to do anything. And every 15 mins until he passes out at stupid o'clock is not my idea of a restful night.

I found a few good reviews for Infants Friend in relation to teething, so tried some of that earlier today instead of reaching for the Panadol. That stuff should not work so fast. Seriously. (It may still be a homeopathic treatment, but it's TGA approved and I'm much more comfortable with the ingredients than the Brauers). He's just gone down now, so fingers crossed we have another quiet night. :?
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 AM
Homeopathic remedies have zero basis in actual science, and poor-to-nonexistant supporting data of their efficacy. That being said, if a patient wants to try a "homeopathic remedy", I don't discourage them. If the placebo effect works, who's to argue with that? It's a shame that they had to spend so much money for like two molecules of the active ingredient in a bottle full of filler, but hey, it's their money and not mine. :)
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:23 PM
A funny result of this thread - I had looked up Camila to see what it was and now every where I go online, facebook, etc. I get an add for Camila. Lol.

kk~
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch