Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Unusually gassy?... will try not to be too TMI
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 01:05 PM
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2013-04-04 13:05:33

Ok, so I don't normally post questions on Health and Nutrition because if I have a question about health, I usually just see my doctor.

BUT.

The last 72 hours (and no sign of stopping so far), I have been incredibly gassy. Not to be too descriptive, but ever since Monday evening, I have had a crampy, gassy, bloaty tummy.

TMI warning:
Spoiler: Show
I have, though, had one bowel movement each day, as usual

So, of course I'm going to see the doctor if this continues for a few more days. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? It's not unusual for me to have a bout of gassiness, but for it to last more than 2-6 hours is definitely uncommon. This has been 3 days straight, and I'm feeling more than a little fed up. I haven't changed my eating habits (I eat the exact same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, and nothing unusual lately for supper).

Any guesses as to what the heck is up with my GI tract? :)

8 Replies to Unusually gassy?... will try not to be too TMI

re: Unusually gassy?... will try not to be too TMI
By imadanseurPremium member
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 07:23 PM
Eating too fast can increase gas...carbonated beverages don't help, nor do some gums especially the sugar free versions. Do you eat protein bars with sugar alcohols?

In general the gas that you are describing and the length it is lasting sounds like your digestive tract is having a difficult time processing carbs. It is something to be concerned about especially if you are bloating. I would definitely create a food log for your doctor because hat would help.
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 08:02 PM
imadanseur wrote:

Eating too fast can increase gas...carbonated beverages don't help, nor do some gums especially the sugar free versions. Do you eat protein bars with sugar alcohols?

I probably eat a little faster than I should (although that hasn't changed in the past three days)... I don't drink carbonated beverages, don't chew gum, and don't eat protein bars.

The food diary is a good idea - I remember pretty much everything I've eaten the past three days, so I'll start a log. I really can't think of anything out of the ordinary - it's so odd!
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 09:09 PM
I'm not saying that this is true, but you could be developing some sort of food sensitivity/intolerance.

Over the past year and a half or so, I developed first a sensitivity, and then intolerance to gluten. It only started getting really bad towards the end of last year too, and I've been eating gluten my entire life, like most people, and haven't made any significant diet changes other than stopping eating some foods since I was about 11 and I went vegetarian for a month or two. So I know it wasn't that I was eating something new or funny because I'm the last person ever to try anything new (though since going gluten free I've had to out of necessity or else I wouldn't really eat anything but chicken, rice, yogurt, Pirate's Booty, fruits and vegetables).

Definitely do a food diary and write down everything you eat along with how it made you feel. That's how you'll see trends and see if there is one thing that is causing your symptoms.
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 05, 2013 01:28 AM
Have you tried taking something like gas-x or Simethicone to relieve it at all? Don't drink with a straw and avoid carbonation because those can make the gas worse. Also try exercising or at least walking which can help you get rid of it.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 05, 2013 09:01 AM
A little out there: could you be pregnant? Increase in gas is often a fun little side symptom.

Helen
On Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 AM
oz_helen wrote:

A little out there: could you be pregnant?

Nope - took a test yesterday, because the same thought crossed my mind... progesterone has a way of acting weirdly on my digestive tract, but this time it seems it's just a weird GI thing.

Woke up this morning and felt, if not fine, MUCH better than the last 3 days. Hoping I will be back to normal for the weekend! :)
By hyehokismember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 06, 2013 04:26 PM
Could be a little bug? I sometimes have bouts with gas and it annoys the heck out of me. Have you tried a probiotic?

Po
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 AM
You say you haven't had any changes in your eating pattern, but have you maybe not been drinking as much water? Alternatively, have you been more active than usual, but drinking the same amount? Has the weather gotten drastically warmer, without you increasing your water intake?

I really recommend having some pure mint or ginger tea, to see if that helps calm the digestive tract. Get the pure, fresh, real stuff from the produce section if you can. Works like a charm every time for me, whether or not I know why my tummy is acting up. Go ahead and message me if you aren't sure how to prepare the tea. :)

Feel better soon! :)

ReplySendWatch