Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

crying & passing out
By LiveLoveDance5
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 02:51 AM

I was wondering if it's normal for someone to cry/be on the verge of tears before passing out?

Basically, I only ate a croissant for breakfast this morning because I thought I'd have time to stop and grab a quick bite to eat for lunch. I had a doctor's appt. that ran late, consequently my commute back to school was later than planned. I also had to register for classes today, but a mishap in the system meant that I had to go to the registrar to do so. Long story short, it was a domino effect - first late thing made me late to everything else, and I simply didn't have time to go get a meal or a snack. One of my classes was a dance class, so I was basically running on no food.

I went to dinner, but because I hadn't eaten in so long, I physically couldn't eat. I had bad gas pains from my stomach being empty, and while I managed to eat most of the meal, I was very uncomfortable.

I had a mandatory 4-hour dance rehearsal tonight, and I guess the food hadn't quite settled yet and gotten into my system, so my body still thought I hadn't eaten. I started feeling very stressed out and I was totally on the verge of tears. I obviously told my choreographer that I needed to sit before I passed out, which was fine. I didn't wind up passing out, but I was definitely on my way to doing so.

I'm just wondering if it's normal for the body to become stressed like that if you're going to pass out. I saw the same thing happen to a friend a few years ago, and she was really close to passing out, but she also was crying uncontrollably before she reached that almost passing out point.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

(I know, I know, it's not good to go without food for that long. I've got another one of these types of days on Friday, so I'm going to prepare myself and plan ahead with snacks and stuff so I don't show up to our design run and pass out. Need to listen to my body more...)

2 Replies to crying & passing out

re: crying & passing out
By RinceorNosretep
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 05:26 PM
I would associate the tears with low blood sugar than the actual passing out feeling. They're all a result of not feeding your body enough nutrition. I myself get very weepy and emotional when my blood sugar is low and when I'm stressed, both singly and especially together. So I would say they're just symptoms of the same problem that manifest for you in a specific order.

Definitely be sure to plan ahead like you said you were going to so you don't have to experience this again. I usually make sure I carry a granola bar or two with me if I know I'm going to be out and about, even if I'm planning on having a full-on meal; I've experienced too many unforseen delays/mishaps/what-have-you that resulted in me getting sick and often emotional due to not eating frequently enough.
re: crying & passing out
By buckeye2
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 06:11 PM
Crying is the body's reaction to let you know you need to address something - whether mentally or physically. I would imagine in your case that being late and having a stressful day caused your body to react in a way that expressed a feeling of being overwhelmed with stress. You knew what you needed to do (eat) but were unable to do so due to other circumstances. Passing out is our body's way of "restarting" so to speak. Things are out of wack and it just needs to reboot. Often if we are very stressed and haven't eaten, our minds go into shutdown mode and passing out is a way to get our body what it needs to do.

Be sure to take the previous posters advice and carry some snacks with you just in case it happens again.

ReplySendWatch