Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
Balancing Dance and Driver's Ed... is it even possible?
By dancinbabii16 Comments: 23, member since Thu Mar 14, 2013
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 02:12 PM

so its like 6 months until my 17th birthday and i STILL dont have my driver's permit. I find it totally impossible to find a driver's ed class that does not interfere with my dance schedule. Ugh anyone else having this problem?

15 Replies to Balancing Dance and Driver's Ed... is it even possible?

re: Balancing Dance and Driver's Ed... is it even possible?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 04:21 PM
Is driver's ed required where you live? Even to get a permit? When I got my permit (about 6 years ago), I was able to just study from a book (which was also available online) and then go to the DMV to take the written test. I also didn't have time for driver's ed classes because of dance and cheerleading so I took lessons with a private instructor. For me I think it was better anyway, I would not have felt comfortable driving with other people in the car or riding with an inexperienced driver either. With the private lessons I could set them to my schedule. My parents did have to fire one driving teacher because she wouldn't show up on time and didn't understand I was on a very tight schedule. It was also much easier to find time in the summer. I actually didn't get my license until the summer after my senior year in high school (I was 18, but I got my permit right after my 16th birthday). So I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you won't be able to get to where you need to go without a license in the near future. If you don't have to do a group driver's ed class, (I do know some places require that now), then private lessons are much more accommodating to a busy schedule. Either way, taking divers ed or private lessons in the summer would probably make things less hectic when you aren't balancing school and homework as well.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 04:29 PM
I didn't get my permit until I was 18, and here you can get them at 16. I'm now 22, and I still only have my permit.

Where I live, driver's ed is not a common thing to do at all (to give you an idea of how uncommon it is, I only know 3 people that did it, and they were all siblings -- twins, with a brother 2 years younger).

What do you have to do to get a permit where you live? Here, it's simple. You bring in your birth certificate, pay a bunch of money, and then take a written, multiple choice test and then they'll tell you right after if you pass or fail.

Most people I know learned to drive from their parents. They would do things like drive to school or the grocery store. I know a few people that did private lessons, but most only did a few. I personally have taken 2 private lessons, and they're really helpful (but very expensive). Is that an option for you?
By dancemomtoo Comments: 2643, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 05:22 PM
Can't you take on this summer-thats what my dd did
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 05:36 PM
Driver's ed is required in order to get your permit if you are under 18. I really do not want to wait till im 18 to get my license and i would love to take it during the summer but my studio does a huge summer intensive camp for its company basically all summer plus i will be in Miami for a couple of weeks
By buckeye2 Comments: 3679, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 06:04 PM
Sounds like you have to look at your options. We have a drivers ed school in town that meets just on Sundays. But if you are not able to find one that meets your schedule - then you are going to have to make a sacrefice - either dance or driving. If you have to sacrefice dance, pick the best time possible that will be the least amount of conflict (so don't pick the week before a big performance), then give your instructor plenty of notice. It often takes months to get into a driver's ed class around here.

You could also discuss this with your dance teacher. You are most likely not the first student to experience this issue. They may be able to give you some insite on how it has worked out in the past.
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 06:18 PM
Can you do it online? I got my permit when I was 17. I was able to take an online Driver's Ed course, then go to the DMV, take my test, and I got a permit. After that, I did a few lessons with a driving instructor in a car, and then fulfilled the rest of the required hours driving with my parents. This is how most people I know did it - the online courses were way more common than the in-person ones. I don't actually know anyone who didn't do it online. Anyway, this is in CA, but I figure it is similar elsewhere...
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 09:49 PM
dancinbabii16 wrote:

Driver's ed is required in order to get your permit if you are under 18. I really do not want to wait till im 18 to get my license and i would love to take it during the summer but my studio does a huge summer intensive camp for its company basically all summer plus i will be in Miami for a couple of weeks

May I ask where you live? I'm just curious because I've never heard of driver's ed before getting your permit. Here, you can't take it until after you already have your permit.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 PM
I'm guessing where she lives drivers ed is a classroom experience and not an in-car experience that we are thinking of KoS (we are both from NY and had the same process for permits). My high school offered drivers ed after school so I know quite a few people who did it, I lived 25 miles from the school though and with dance and stuff that didn't work for me. One of the benefits of doing drivers ed, at least in NY is that your insurance is less than it would be for someone under 21 (or maybe even 25) if you graduate from the course.
By LizDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1140, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 PM
I don't know where the OP lives but in North Carolina, where I live, driver's ed is legally required before you are allowed to get your permit (unless you're over 18). They run driver's ed out of the local high schools and it includes both a classroom portion (although I think that part transitioned into being an online class right after I took driver's ed) and a week-long driving portion. NC has one of the strictest graduated licensing programs in the country, but I think I remember hearing some stats once that it's been pretty effective at reducing accidents among new drivers.

It can be pretty difficult scheduling-wise, especially because the waiting list for the driving section is really long & people wait for months to be called. They only call you a few days beforehand and if that doesn't work for your schedule, tough. If you can't do it that week, they put your name back on the bottom of the waiting list & you just have to hope it'll be better timing next time. Since you legally can't go for your permit test until after you've done it, most people just suck it up & find some way to skip out on their activities for that week when their name comes up for the driving section. But then again, I also know a lot of people who didn't get their licenses for years after they were 16, partly for those reasons.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 PM
Something always has to give.

You either need to find a weekend course, an online course, or skip a few dance classes here and there.

you can't always have your cake and eat it too.
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 PM
I took mine over the summer through AAA. You need someone who is a member to sign you up for it, but my clases were in the mornings of the summer.
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 02:03 PM
im from Rhode Island
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 04:33 PM
In New York State where I grew up, Driver's Ed (a H.S. class for credit) was always filled up with Senior's who got first dibs on it. So, I never took it.

NYS only required, at the time that a person apply for a lerner's permit, take only a 4-hr safety class (possibly longer now--it's been 30 yrs this summer), and then the road test once they felt confident enough intheir skills.

My grandfather was the one who taught me how to drive.....on the roads in a city park. When I turned 16. I just took the road-test, - passed, and that was it. Check with your state or local drivers licensing office to see what their minimum requirements are. I do not believe any US state can mandate that a person pay for commercial driving school lessons or take drivers ed in school.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 05:16 PM
It's interesting to see how it is different in every state.

Here, you take drivers ed as a class in high school. It's one semester, and towards the end you take the written test. My high school had simulators and two student driver cars (with a chicken brake). You got to sign up for times to drive yourself to or from school with the teacher.

But I agree with llama, just miss a few dance classes if you have to. or do a weekend course.
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 07:28 PM
Sarahdncr wrote:

In New York State where I grew up, Driver's Ed (a H.S. class for credit) was always filled up with Senior's who got first dibs on it. So, I never took it.

NYS only required, at the time that a person apply for a lerner's permit, take only a 4-hr safety class (possibly longer now--it's been 30 yrs this summer), and then the road test once they felt confident enough intheir skills.

My grandfather was the one who taught me how to drive.....on the roads in a city park. When I turned 16. I just took the road-test, - passed, and that was it. Check with your state or local drivers licensing office to see what their minimum requirements are. I do not believe any US state can mandate that a person pay for commercial driving school lessons or take drivers ed in school.

It's a 5 hour now (though they usually only last 3-4 hours), and if you are under 18, you have to have your permit for 6 months before you can take the test and have to have a documented number of hours (not sure what it is since I got my permit when I was almost 18 anyway and that was before the change).

ReplySendWatch