Balancing Dance and Driver's Ed... is it even possible?
By dancinbabii16
On 04/09/2013 14:12:06
so its like 6 months until my 17th birthday and i STILL dont have my driver's permit. I find it totally impossible to find a driver's ed class that does not interfere with my dance schedule. Ugh anyone else having this problem?
re: Balancing Dance and Driver's Ed... is it even possible?
By KeepOnSingin
On 04/09/2013 16:29:06
I didn't get my permit until I was 18, and here you can get them at 16. I'm now 22, and I still only have my permit. Where I live, driver's ed is not a common thing to do at all (to give you an idea of how uncommon it is, I only know 3 people that did it, and they were all siblings -- twins, with a brother 2 years younger). What do you have to do to get a permit where you live? Here, it's simple. You bring in your birth certificate, pay a bunch of money, and then take a written, multiple choice test and then they'll tell you right after if you pass or fail. Most people I know learned to drive from their parents. They would do things like drive to school or the grocery store. I know a few people that did private lessons, but most only did a few. I personally have taken 2 private lessons, and they're really helpful (but very expensive). Is that an option for you?
By dancinbabii16
On 04/09/2013 17:36:14
Driver's ed is required in order to get your permit if you are under 18. I really do not want to wait till im 18 to get my license and i would love to take it during the summer but my studio does a huge summer intensive camp for its company basically all summer plus i will be in Miami for a couple of weeks
By buckeye2
On 04/09/2013 18:04:34
Sounds like you have to look at your options. We have a drivers ed school in town that meets just on Sundays. But if you are not able to find one that meets your schedule - then you are going to have to make a sacrefice - either dance or driving. If you have to sacrefice dance, pick the best time possible that will be the least amount of conflict (so don't pick the week before a big performance), then give your instructor plenty of notice. It often takes months to get into a driver's ed class around here. You could also discuss this with your dance teacher. You are most likely not the first student to experience this issue. They may be able to give you some insite on how it has worked out in the past.
By Firebird
On 04/09/2013 18:18:46
Can you do it online? I got my permit when I was 17. I was able to take an online Driver's Ed course, then go to the DMV, take my test, and I got a permit. After that, I did a few lessons with a driving instructor in a car, and then fulfilled the rest of the required hours driving with my parents. This is how most people I know did it - the online courses were way more common than the in-person ones. I don't actually know anyone who didn't do it online. Anyway, this is in CA, but I figure it is similar elsewhere...
By KeepOnSingin
On 04/09/2013 21:49:43
Driver's ed is required in order to get your permit if you are under 18. I really do not want to wait till im 18 to get my license and i would love to take it during the summer but my studio does a huge summer intensive camp for its company basically all summer plus i will be in Miami for a couple of weeks
May I ask where you live? I'm just curious because I've never heard of driver's ed before getting your permit. Here, you can't take it until after you already have your permit.
By LlamaLlamaDuck
On 04/09/2013 23:14:37
Something always has to give. You either need to find a weekend course, an online course, or skip a few dance classes here and there. you can't always have your cake and eat it too.
By Kettricken
On 04/10/2013 12:01:25
I took mine over the summer through AAA. You need someone who is a member to sign you up for it, but my clases were in the mornings of the summer.
By dancinbabii16
On 04/10/2013 14:03:01
im from Rhode Island
By Sarahdncr
On 04/13/2013 16:33:34
In New York State where I grew up, Driver's Ed (a H.S. class for credit) was always filled up with Senior's who got first dibs on it. So, I never took it. NYS only required, at the time that a person apply for a lerner's permit, take only a 4-hr safety class (possibly longer now--it's been 30 yrs this summer), and then the road test once they felt confident enough intheir skills. My grandfather was the one who taught me how to drive.....on the roads in a city park. When I turned 16. I just took the road-test, - passed, and that was it. Check with your state or local drivers licensing office to see what their minimum requirements are. I do not believe any US state can mandate that a person pay for commercial driving school lessons or take drivers ed in school.
By majere
On 04/13/2013 17:16:54
It's interesting to see how it is different in every state. Here, you take drivers ed as a class in high school. It's one semester, and towards the end you take the written test. My high school had simulators and two student driver cars (with a chicken brake). You got to sign up for times to drive yourself to or from school with the teacher. But I agree with llama, just miss a few dance classes if you have to. or do a weekend course.
By KeepOnSingin
On 04/13/2013 19:28:38
In New York State where I grew up, Driver's Ed (a H.S. class for credit) was always filled up with Senior's who got first dibs on it. So, I never took it. NYS only required, at the time that a person apply for a lerner's permit, take only a 4-hr safety class (possibly longer now--it's been 30 yrs this summer), and then the road test once they felt confident enough intheir skills. My grandfather was the one who taught me how to drive.....on the roads in a city park. When I turned 16. I just took the road-test, - passed, and that was it. Check with your state or local drivers licensing office to see what their minimum requirements are. I do not believe any US state can mandate that a person pay for commercial driving school lessons or take drivers ed in school.
It's a 5 hour now (though they usually only last 3-4 hours), and if you are under 18, you have to have your permit for 6 months before you can take the test and have to have a documented number of hours (not sure what it is since I got my permit when I was almost 18 anyway and that was before the change).

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 08/20/2022 04:47:46