Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Setting up a youth company within an established dance school
By ambitions
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 03:38 PM

Hi all,
I was just looking for some ideas or any advice on offer really.
I run Ambitions, we've been going for 6 years now, we cover a wide range of styles and I do like to have 'experimental' lessons when we don't have much to work towards, that's not very often but when I can, I do.
I've found that from around age 12 upwards, my dancers seem to respond really well to modern/contemporary, it's not something they do very often but they enjoy the creativity and expression of it all.
For a while I've wanted to set up a small youth company within the school, there are always plenty of local performance opportunities so that's not an issue but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to go about it.
My ideas were that;
Obviously, you have to be a member of Ambitions, taking part in class/es each week- would you think advertising externally in schools etc would help? I know that in this case I'd need to make this policy perfectly clear.
Audition children to take part or work on the basis of inclusion- not elitism?
Funding for costumes/transport etc- I've applied for it in the early days of the school, do you think it's viable to do such a thing as it's a new project that may benefit the cultural diversity of the kids?

I've got tonnes of other ideas but they're all swiming around in my head right now. I'm going to get them down on paper tonight.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou
Tisha xxxx

1 Replies to Setting up a youth company within an established dance school

re: Setting up a youth company within an established dance school
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 PM
Have you made any progress?

ReplySendWatch