Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Fat around belly button area? Stress Related?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 08:18 PM

I know that you can't spot reduce, but I was wondering if you had ANY type of advice for me?

I have really been toning up all around my body, but I still have this pooch JUST around my belly button area. You can see the top 4 upper abs, but then it pooches into a fat pouch around my belly button. I even have those "side abs" by my hip bones.
It isn't bloating althought I do have some gluten intolerance. I do get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, so it isn't related to the lack of sleep.

Could this be stress related or maybe even insulin related? I've heard that excessive abdominal fat might be related to other things then diet and working out.

10 Replies to Fat around belly button area? Stress Related?

re: Fat around belly button area? Stress Related? (karma: 1)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 08:27 PM
My doctor told me that that some women can't get rid of that pooch because your body stores fat there in case you get pregnant. Even at my most most most fit with 6 pack abs and very low percentage body fat, I STILL had that pooch. You may just have to learn to embrace it. My boyfriend really likes mine, for whatever reason.
re: Fat around belly button area? Stress Related?
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 08:34 PM
Ok, thats good to know.

I mean it isn' the end of the world, but I was just confused on WHY I have that pooch even after I toned up and slimmed down. I should probably go to the doc just to get my insulin levels checked, but I'm glad to know I am not the only one.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:05 PM
I have it too. I'm currently trying to drop my BMI right down to 18.5 and cut my body fat % well down into the athlete range so see if that helps. Right now I'm pretty much smack in the middle of my healthy BMI, at about 21, but I have a small frame so I'm going to see if that will finally get rid of the stupid pooch.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:41 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2013-04-11 15:43:04
I have it and hate it, too. Even at my smallest, when I had an eating disorder, I had that pooch. From what I've observed, it's more prominent in certain body shapes. It's part of your maternal fat stores (or "just in case you have a baby in a famine" fat).
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:58 PM
I can see how it might relate to having a baby. My bf has gone on a diet and he easily gets a six pack in no time. Me on the other hand? FORGET IT!!!

I even had that pooch with a BMI of 17.2, so I guess it is something that I have to come to terms with. I shall lovingly start calling it my baby kangaroo pouch.
By TuniePremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 PM
That fat is SUPPOSED to be there, to protect your reproductive organs. I know, I know, you have no intention of using them lol, but your body doesn't care, it is designed to have that fat there. You are meant to have a little bit of fat on your body to protect things, and it is okay, I promise, you do not have to lose every single drop of fat on your body lol. You KNOW you are already skinny as a rail.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 PM
Your weight or BMI has nothing to do with it. You could be technically underweight and still have very little muscle with a high percentage of body fat and be flabby with love handles. I think you should INCREASE your calories for a while and try to do a lean gain to build more muscle and then a cut before summer to reduce your body fat percentage. You could do the cut first, technically, but I think giving your muscles a little boost would be more rewarding once the BF% goes down.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 PM
You KNOW you are already skinny as a rail.

How is this any different from me calling an overweight person as big as a house?
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 04:26 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-11 16:31:21
I'm actually pretty muscular right now. When I mean tone, I didn't mean to lose weight, but more like gain muscles and get rid of excess fat.

Our cheerleading costumes are TINY and our director has all been pushing for us to tone our stomach area. Considering that it may be genetic, I would have to come to terms that I may not have that absolute flat stomach that they are pushing me towards.
I can stop beating myself up over it.
It seems like no matter how toned and thin everyone gets, it is never enough for our directors. Stressful to say the least! It seems like ALL the girls have this weird stomach pouch ( except for like the 18 year olds) so at least we are supportive of each other. Plus it seems like women on DDN are supportive of this "issue" too.

It isn't a jiggling pooch so I am ok in not getting fired or anything. I was just curious if other thin women had this wierd looking pooch on them and if that is common. I am almost to say it is excessive skin.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 05:46 PM
I have it too... even though I have the top half of a six pack and visible obliques, the little layer around my belly button sticks around.

ReplySendWatch