Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Getting trial contacts
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 PM
Locked by KeepOnSingin (116683) on 2013-04-19 09:12:10 Done and done

I went to get checked for contacts today, and because I have astigmatism which is what they really want to correct, they had to order my contacts for me, so it'll be about a week before they're in...but I'm curious how many they usually give you for trials? The woman said 2 months which seems like a lot to me. Is it? Or is that typical?

10 Replies to Getting trial contacts

re: Getting trial contacts
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 PM
KeepOnSingin wrote:

I went to get checked for contacts today, and because I have astigmatism which is what they really want to correct, they had to order my contacts for me, so it'll be about a week before they're in...but I'm curious how many they usually give you for trials? The woman said 2 months which seems like a lot to me. Is it? Or is that typical?

2 months could just be 2 pairs.

When you go in and try out a pair (get a fitting) the pair you use is thinner and rip easier than the actual ones. You should only wear that pair for a day.

I'm sure that all optometrists are different.
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:23 PM
Yeah, but from what I was reading online it seemed most people would get 1 pair for like 2 weeks or whatever and then have to order them for real. I mean, I'm okay with it, just surprised.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:29 PM
KeepOnSingin wrote:

Yeah, but from what I was reading online it seemed most people would get 1 pair for like 2 weeks or whatever and then have to order them for real. I mean, I'm okay with it, just surprised.

It sounds like you optometrist is just awesome. I don't question good deals like that. :)

This reminds me that I'll have to go get re-fitted/examined to order more. It's been more than a year since I've ordered my contacts.
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 01:30 AM
Yeah, I'm not questioning either. Just surprised!!
re: Getting trial contacts (karma: 1)
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 04:49 AM
Depends on the replacement cycles of your contacts.

Regular contacts are usually 2 week disposables and they're easier to fit than astigmatism lenses because you don't have to worry about the axis.

Special-order astigmatism contacts are usually 1 month disposables, so you're probably getting two pairs and your optometrist may adjust the axis and correction after your first pair.
By Polestar
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 06:53 AM
Edited by Polestar (193509) on 2013-04-13 06:54:53
I have monthly contact lenses. The place where I get my lenses has always given me a regular pair that I had to wear for one week to see if they fit, but I could keep using them for another three weeks after that :)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 02:46 PM
Just now reading this, but last time I went to the doctor, he switched me from 2 week contacts to 1 month contacts. He asked me if I wanted to switch and I said "well to be honest, I hate the feel of these (acuvue 2), do you have something better?" and he said that in his opinion the best contacts on the market now are the Air Optix 1 month contacts. They are so much better, I love them! So 2 week contacts are not the "regular" really. So they could have gotten you a couple of those. Or they ordered you 1 box of 2 week lenses, which would last you 2 months (8 lenses in a box = 2 months if you wear the same prescription in both eyes).

Oh, and I have astigmatism in my right eye, but there is no use in getting astigmatism lenses for me, so they just bump the prescription up a fraction and I see fine. I believe a lot of doctors do that depending on your level of astigmatism.
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 03:22 PM
Yeah, my eyes are the same, and since it's mainly astigmatism that needs correction, it makes more sense to get me the lenses for astigmatism.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:29 PM
^depends on the astigmatism... Mine is wonky... I can't wear the contacts for astigmatism because they make my vision worse than even without contacts. I have argued with a few optometrists about it. None believe me till they make me try the same old brands of sample pairs every time.

I have only had success with daily disposables in the last few years. I don't wear them often. I use them for swimming.
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 PM
My correction for distance is minimal, so that is why they are trying me with ones for astigmatism. But of course, if they don't work, I'll try something else.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed