Boston Marathon Explosion
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 01:42 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-04-15 13:48:14 added other news source
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-04-15 13:54:41

www.cnn.com . . .
usnews.nbcnews.com . . .
www.foxnews.com . . .

First off, everyone in Boston okay? Thoughts with you guys and everyone involved.

*edit
So, so tragic, three reported dead. :(

65 Replies to Boston Marathon Explosion

re: Boston Marathon Explosion
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 07:45 PM
Its scary. I hope its an isolated incident.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 01:55 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2013-04-15 14:00:45
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2013-04-15 14:04:29
Looks like you and I posted the same thread. I just posted one in General. I'll go lock it.

ETA: This reminds me of the 1996 Olympic bombing. Not many casualties, but enough to make people scared.

Fox is reporting 3 dead, 10 pts at MA General with limbs missing with more casualties coming in. They're searching all the trash cans and surrounding neighborhoods.

So far, it appears to be 2 home made bombs made with ball bearings.

ETA again: Apparently the bomber wasn't targeting the first finishers, but the ones who would come along later in the afternoon, in order to kill as many as possible. That's what I've been hearing on the news. They also found another device apparently, so they'll be disposing of that one.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 07:57 PM
This is awful. Absolutely horrific. Sending good thoughts to all those injured and uplifting thoughts to the families of those who lost their lives. I hope they figure out who is behind it.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:01 PM
Hmm.. MSNBC isn't reporting any deaths, just the 4 patients confirmed at Mass General.

So awful. We had our big marathon here two weeks ago. I can't even imagine... Just goes to show that we aren't safe anywhere. Not even running a marathon.

Those who have friends and family in Boston, TEXT them, don't call.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:05 PM
SaraTheGrouch wrote:

Just wondering, why?
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 02:10 PM
Edited by SaraTheGrouch (63195) on 2013-04-15 14:57:43
MSNBC just stated 2 people have been confirmed dead.

^ To answer that, cell phones can be used as bomb detonators. And texts use less bandwidth.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:12 PM
Tunie wrote:

SaraTheGrouch wrote:

Just wondering, why?

They've shut it down from what I've heard, plus, people would be calling their friends/family to make sure they're ok. You wouldn't be able to get through.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:17 PM
Awful, awful news. Thoughts going out to all in Boston today.

We were in Boston just the other week and I have seen the hotel that we stayed in on a few of the news reports which is a bit scary, so I'm hoping those awesome people there are all safe and well.

Claire.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:19 PM
What is wrong with people?! What kind of sick X($&* thinks that's okay?! There's a special place in hell for people like that.

On the positive side, EMTs & cops are fixtures at marathons for safety reasons, so at least there wasn't a delay with the first responders. Hopefully that saved some lives which otherwise might have been lost.
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:32 PM
The latest news is 2 more explosive devices have been found and are being dismantled.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:48 PM
news says another explosion at JFK library.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 08:56 PM
I'm watching Canadian news because CNN doesn't work up here.

Still reporting 2 deaths... I really wonder about the world we live in.

Comment #10097881 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-04-16 07:40:38 Double post.

On Mon Apr 15, 2013 09:07 PM
Now I'm hearing they have a suspect and they're being guarded at the hospital.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 06:29 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-04-15 18:33:35 typo
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2013-04-15 18:54:57 Some people were finding the image a little upsetting
Image from today:

Spoiler: Show

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/163567_10200983009158938_2021283984_n.jpg'

I just spoke with my sister. Her husband and sons were at mile 18 so they are safe. One of their friends, a 25 year old teacher, was at the finish line when the explosion happened. He has a head injury and a punctured ear drum but the rest of him is intact. He saw people who had lost body parts. It is just horrible.

I am heartbroken for the entire city of Boston and all the many surrounding communities. Patriot's Day (today)en.wikipedia.org . . . is a big deal there. All the schools are closed, everyone celebrates. There will never be another Patriot's Day for any of them that will not be tinged with the horrible memories of this hateful day.

It feels like September 11th all over again. These two nephews lived right outside of NYC when they were small and lost 6 neighbors in the attacks. My sister and her husband had friends who were on the Boston flight that hit the WTC. I can't begin to imagine the flash backs they are experiencing right now. On one hand, they are so grateful to be safe at home. On the other... they know what the days to come will hold. Sadness, fear, doubt... another part of their kids' childhood has been stolen.

I send my very best wishes for strength and courage to everyone who lives in the area. In an odd kind of way, I felt that the days that followed 9/11 were some of the most loved filled days of goodwill for everyone. I hope everyone in Massachusetts experiences this kind of comfort and support from the rest of the nation in the days to come.

Hugs to all
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 06:43 PM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2013-04-15 18:47:16
I heard earlier on the news that there may some radical groups responsible. I wonder if there may be some radical group using the Boston Marathon as a venue to protest about the gun control debate.

Much love to everyone in Boston.
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 AM
maureensiobhan wrote:

I heard earlier on the news that there may some radical groups responsible. I wonder if there may be some radical group using the Boston Marathon as a venue to protest about the gun control debate.

I highly doubt it's a protest on gun control. A homemade ball bearing bomb has NOTHING to do with gun control. Bombs are insanely easy to make and there are books that tell you how.

This temporarily restores my faith in humanity and warms my cold black heart: docs.google.com . . .
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 02:29 AM
maureensiobhan wrote:

I don't think there is any thing other than pure evil behind this. The cowards who committed this crime may believe there was a "reason" but there could be none. Tim McVeigh had a whole load of stupid stuff he spewed, too, but he killed how many children sleeping in their cribs? en.wikipedia.org . . . Sadly,part of the marathon was dedicated to the children who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. dailycaller.com . . .

This is just so horrible.

Keep On Dancing*
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 PM
Truly awful, as anything of this nature always is. :(
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 03:07 AM
For people looking to find missing friends or loved ones: Google Person Finder

Love and light to everyone in Boston.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 04:34 AM
In an emergency situation like this, try to use wifi to email or try to get to a computer and email or facebook your loved ones. When cell phone service goes down, many people can forget that email is a viable communication tool. Also, Yahoo chat has a text to phone option. Or try to find a landline phone. This is one reason I still keep my landline, even though some months I feel like I'm wasting my money.

I cannot fathom what would motivate someone to do something like this. :(

kk~
re: Boston Marathon Explosion (karma: 2)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 07:08 AM
My loved ones in Boston are okay, thank the gods. I can't begin to fathom what drives people to do things like this.

I do want to say a couple of things though, and I'm SO not trying to turn this into a rant, but I'm seeing these things all over. One, try not to speculate too much. Right now, the most important thing is making sure Boston has the support it needs. Donate to the red cross. If you can't, take a moment to sit quietly and pray or meditate or send out good energy to Boston. I truly believe in the power of good thought. There are professionals, well-trained in these things, that are working hard to get to the bottom of this. Saying it's this or that is just stirring up negativity and not helping anyone.

Two, try to avoid slacktivism. Again, donate to the red cross. Actually take a moment to reflect and pray. Join a vigil at your church, if that's what feels right to you. Keep following the news in Boston and in your community to see what volunteer efforts there are that you might be able to get involved in. Begin training for the next Boston Marathon! At the least, take a moment to appreciate life and how tenuous it is, and tell your loved ones you love them. I'm sorry, but posting a facebook status about how sad you are (especially, as is the case with my newsfeed, when you post a picture an hour later of the milkshake you're drinking...)isn't actually going to help anyone, and it's one of my GREATEST pet peeves.

/soapboxrant
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 07:41 AM
I've just heard that that 2 of the injured and one of the deceased were part of the Irish dancing family. His sister lost one or both of her legs, mom had a serious head injury and little martin was killed.

Senseless crap like this doesn't need to happen to children. They were there to cheer on their father. It was to be a happy moment.

I really question the world that we live in.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 07:45 AM
Posting on facebook is a normal response to something like this. I'm GLAD that there is a forum (ha like this one) that my friends and I can post about our sorrow. I think it would be really strange if my feed was completely devoid of comments on Boston.

I just read the story of the little boy who was killed and what happened to his family. Am heartbroken. :(
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch