Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Boston Marathon Explosion
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 08:04 AM
Edited by Nienna (142754) on 2013-04-16 08:09:43
^I completely understand that, I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't post and share your sorrow on Facebook. I have a lot of younger friends on there that really seem to be just posting just to post, and it always bothers me. I'm probably preaching to the choir here on DDN. I also get really bothered by the media storm around these events, obviously it's a national tragedy and people want to be updated, but I think some news sources, especially the lower-brow ones, just go too far with their sensationalism.

With that said, I could barely sleep last night. It's so eye-opening, how tenuous and not-guaranteed our lives and security are. I can't stop thinking about the three dead and sooo many who are grievously injured, some with lost limbs, lives forever altered. Every day really has to be appreciated in life.
re: Boston Marathon Explosion (karma: 1)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 08:50 AM
Personally, the media is irritating me. I got really annoyed when they were calling them "twin bombings" making a very obvious "twin towers" connection. Nothing has been confirmed yet, this isn't nearly the scale of 9-11, so stop being so sensationalist. *grumbles and shakes cane* I'm not saying this isn't tragic, but it could've been so, so much worse.

I plan on giving blood in a week or so. There's a Red Cross right near my office, so it's not a big deal for me to go over there. I read that it's best to wait a week or so to give blood after an event like this because they'll get an influx initially, but then things will die down. They'll still need blood, but they'll run out of the initial jump in supply. Food for thought.
By Jackrabbit_Dance Comments: 28, member since Thu Jul 07, 2011
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 09:53 AM
What is the story behind the little boy who passed away?

DId anyone see the guy crying over his girlfriend who passed away? He was waiting for her at the finish line to propose. Breaks my heart.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 AM
^ The 8-year-old boy has been confirmed as the brother of an Irish dancer. He was watching the race with his family. He was killed in the second explosion. His younger sister, the Irish dancer, lost a leg. Their mother is in critical condition.

It's heart breaking.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 AM
Edited by UberGoober (93585) on 2013-04-16 10:48:35 Removed the arrow so it doesn't look like I'm replying to dg
it's important to not let sensationalist Facebook photos get in the way and obscure facts. There have been three confirmed deaths, one of which was a little boy. I know the photo you are talking of and the only person has related the story you share was a twitter user. Let's not continue passing along these stories that may or may not be true, because there are many who may still be trying to contact their loved ones at this time. I would be horrified if I was in the photo and was just in shock and was fine, and instead the photo was passed around on Twitter with that unconfirmed story. Be respectful.
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 AM
Edited by DefyingGravity (54553) on 2013-04-16 10:43:51
^ Um, I don't know what the heck you're talking about, but my information is accurate. I haven't seen a tweet or Tumblr (don't even have accounts), and have not seen any photos on Facebook.

Jane dances with the Clifden Academy of Irish dance. Her older brother, Martin, was killed.

www.cbsnews.com . . .
www.facebook.com . . .

Cards for the Richard family can be sent to their Parish -

Saint Ann Parish Neponset
243 Neponset Avenue
Dorchester, Mass. 02122
Phone: 617-825-6180

I have confirmed this information with 3 TCRGs. It has also been confirmed by two parents who know this family through dance and attend the same church on Facebook, and multiple families on the New England ID Message Board. I'm not being a sensationalist or obscuring the facts. This is a member of the ID community.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 AM
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/537226_10151401612887058_1521843348_n.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 AM
I'm planning on sending a card to the little girl and maybe a little Irish dance gift. She may not be able to dance the same way again but it doesn't mean she can't dance. I don't know what someone says to a 6 year old that has lost her brother.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 AM
Edited by UberGoober (93585) on 2013-04-16 10:49:16
Sorry DG! You posted two minutes before me! I was replying to the post above yours with the story about the girlfriend and upcoming proposal. I know the little boy's name has been confirmed and I don't doubt that at all. Sorry to hear they are part of the ID community.
re: Boston Marathon Explosion (karma: 2)
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 AM
I live 30 minutes north of Boston. Words do not do justice to the gravity of my emotions. My closest friend and her neighbors and their children were 1 block away on their way to the finish line when the explosions occurred.

I had so many friends running and cheering and I am so grateful for social media outlets yesterday. I was able to quickly see how many if them posted that they were safe and where they last saw others.

I am sad to see this turned into another gun control debate. There were no guns involved and the hundreds of armed police could do nothing to prevent this. Tens of thousands of people were there carrying backpacks. It would be impossible to single out a person carrying a backpack as suspicious. Runners literally drop them as they run and replace them at specific locations.

But the city of Boston and its citizens are emerging with pride. From the runners who ran straight to the hospital to donate blood, to the government agencies and police who flooded the scene, to the citizens and EMT's who ran toward the scene rather than away, to the strangers who posted their address and opened their homes to those stranded or needing to get out, to the med students and professionals who immediately went in without being called, to the restaurants and museums who are offering free admissions for those seeking respite. Boston is an ordinary city full of extraordinary people.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 AM
I know that all of our dancers spoke quite highly of Boston.

I don't understand peoples thinking...
By Jackrabbit_Dance Comments: 28, member since Thu Jul 07, 2011
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 AM
UG - thanks for pointing out the false photo caption that's is floating around. I didn't think someone would create a fake comment, but I guess that people do make things like that up. I'm glad that you pointed that out - I hadn't looked or even thought about that possibility. I did not mean to seem disrespectful at all. That story tore my heart apart but I understand now the harm it could do to those who haven't heard from their loved ones. Guess you really do have to research before you believe anything you see on the Internet.
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 05:02 PM
**WARNING: THESE PHOTOS ARE VERY, VERY GRAPHIC**

I am a firm believer in not sugar coating the horrible realities of terrorism and war. As humans, we shouldn't look away from the reality of these situations. Unless you work in EMS or emergency medicine, you probably don't understand or comprehend what it means for a bomb to detonate. If you want to understand, click the links below. The first link is more graphic than the second (second comes from a newspaper, and the most graphic photo is censored).

imgur.com . . .
www.theatlantic.com . . .
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 05:23 PM
I don't necessarily believe in sugar coating and in a way I agree these photos should be seen... but so should the "good" moments that came out of that day, like the humanity in people that did exist.

In a way it couldn't have happened in a better place because there were so many medical personnel on site. I think there would have been a lot more tragedy if there hadn't been such a fast response.

I know that there is a long healing period for all that are involved from the uninjured to the medical personnel to the injurued to the mourning even for the American public.

I hope that they catch the *not sure of appropriate DDN friendly word* who committed this act and I really do hope that they are not glorified by the media... his or her name should not be released nor should any details. The more that people who commit these acts are glorified, the more that others want to be like them.

I don't know what goes through someones head when they commit something like this. I wish we knew so that maybe we could try and stop acts like this before they happen.

Surely this person was not right in the head.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 05:43 PM
I know that it is making its rounds on facebook via shares, but I just wanted to share comedian Patton Oswalt's facebook status:

Boston. F****** horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 06:00 PM
I'm so scared we won't find out who did it. We probably will, but what if we don't?

I used to be in the "don't release any information about the attacker" camp, but since taking an abnormal psychology class this semester, I've changed my mind. There's always the risk of it coming off as glorifying the killer, but I've come to feel that as long as more attention is paid to the victims and the killer is firmly condemned (i.e. Anders Breivik) rather than made a celebrity (i.e. Casey Anthony). Giving any attention to an attack is motivation enough for the next wave of killers. My psychology text has several in-depth profiles of high-profile mass murderers, and I found it to be a valuable teaching tool. I absolutely agree though that there needs to be some accountability on how these vile people are discussed, because there IS a fine line between educating the public and glamorizing.

This last fall, I was in class when an alarm sounded and an announcement was made that there was a confirmed armed individual on campus. It was, by far, the most terrifying moment of my life. You never think that these big, public acts of terrorism will happen to you, and the feeling you get when it hits so close is indescribably awful...I'll never forget it as long as I live. Seeing the videos of the people who realized what happened as it was happening was just horrible, because that feeling of "this is it, this is happening" is so clearly etched on their faces.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 07:09 PM
This kind of stuff just makes me sick. I feel like we aren't safe to do anything anymore. It's really, really unsettling.

I just really don't know what to say. What I do know is that when bad things like this happen, I basically shut down and don't leave my house for like a week at a time, especially when my husband is gone. He's on the other side of the country for a couple more months, and man, things like this make me want him back!

Prayers have been going up for the families and people involved; that's about the only thing I can do.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 PM
Krystal wrote:

...when bad things like this happen, I basically shut down and don't leave my house for like a week at a time,...Prayers have been going up for the families and people involved; that's about the only thing I can do.
Nope, that's not the only thing you can do. Up! Out of the house! Off to see the next parade or public event in your community! Of course, if you are in the immediate area of a tragedy and the cops have called for everyone to stay at home that's different. But otherwise get out there! Terrorists, who really have very limited reach, try to scare the wider world into illogical paralysis. Don't let them succeed.
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 PM
I absolutely agree that things should not be sugar coated. Censored like the second link posted did for the faint of heart, but in my opinion things drive closer to home when you see more than an empty street with blood and debris.

LlamaLlamaDuck wrote:

and I really do hope that they are not glorified by the media... his or her name should not be released nor should any details. The more that people who commit these acts are glorified, the more that others want to be like them.

This. Unfortunately people will want to know and the name or names will be released. If it's a single person, there are some sick people out there who actually fetishize these criminals. After the aurora shootings there were girls who were talking about how the shooter was "sexy" and how he was "simply troubled. I would've just stood up and given him a hug, it's all he needed". Or downright defending their actions and claiming they would date them. Same goes for the shooters of Columbine and any other terrorist attack you can think of. It's sickening and a huge slap in the face to the victims and their families.

Criminals should not even get the glory to be mentioned by name and should be metaphorically spit on by refusing their names to be spoken, but unfortunately people will want to know who was the cause of this and see that person, that name, get was they deserve.

My heart goes out to the Muslim community and other PoC. I heard some nasty words spoken today of people jumping to conclusions and targeting Muslims. A friend of mine, her little brother was called a terrorist at school today. I hope for the sake of the Muslim community that this was a domestic attack. They don't need any more hate.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 03:03 AM
PinUpGirl wrote:

I read that it's best to wait a week or so to give blood after an event like this because they'll get an influx initially, but then things will die down. They'll still need blood, but they'll run out of the initial jump in supply. Food for thought.

True. Everyone rushes out to donate in the immediate aftermath of a disaster, and then a week or two after that, the donations drop off (usually because everyone who has donated now can't donate for another 12 weeks). It is very important that the blood service continues to receive donations in the weeks and months following a disaster of some kind, so they can continue to help all the people who usually need blood, as well as all the new people from the disaster.

In your blood, red blood cells can be stored for up to 44 days, but platelets can only be stored for 7 days, so it's very important that the supply of blood remains consistent.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 07:31 AM
Nope, that's not the only thing you can do. Up! Out of the house! Off to see the next parade or public event in your community! Of course, if you are in the immediate area of a tragedy and the cops have called for everyone to stay at home that's different. But otherwise get out there! Terrorists, who really have very limited reach, try to scare the wider world into illogical paralysis. Don't let them succeed.

QFT!!!

THIS is how you fight back. Did you know that violent crime in the U.S. has actually gone DOWN in the last decade by a large margin? Of course you'd never know that. Media overload messes with our perceptions. And then the more singular, extremely violent acts do as well. The whole point of of terrorism is to make people terrified. So fight, fight, fight by living your life well. Your days are not guaranteed to you, and you have no idea how many you will have so don't waste them hiding in your house, don't be the worried well. The best way to say eff you to madness and evil is to smile and be free. The bad guys hate that.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 AM
I really hope Red Cross expands their blood drives over the next week or two. There's NOTHING until May here. I may end up having to drive an hour to the nearest donation center.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:01 AM
I don't get scared, I just get angry.

Eff all you psychos who think this is making a point. I'm not going to change my life. You don't scare me. *inappropriate gestures*
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 AM
I don't think looking for the good in humanity is 'sugar coating' anything. Viewing those horrific images over and over just feeds into our fears. As d4j said, that's how terrorism wins. We HAVE to look for the good, which always outnumbers the bad, in order to win.

kk~
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 AM
Kekoa wrote:

I really hope Red Cross expands their blood drives over the next week or two. There's NOTHING until May here. I may end up having to drive an hour to the nearest donation center.

I know things are different everywhere, but here, when responding to any disaster local organizations often work with the Red Cross to organize drives at churches, firehouses, community centers, and such. The Red Cross assists other fraternal organizations and faith communities to hold smaller drives, usually at different times of day and days of the week to hope to dip into the entire pool of available donors. Could you call your Red Cross Blood bank and see if they can direct you to any new postings? You might be surprised.

Keep On Dancing*
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch