Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: Boston Marathon Explosion
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 AM
Christine wrote:

Kekoa wrote:

I really hope Red Cross expands their blood drives over the next week or two. There's NOTHING until May here. I may end up having to drive an hour to the nearest donation center.

I know things are different everywhere, but here, when responding to any disaster local organizations often work with the Red Cross to organize drives at churches, firehouses, community centers, and such. The Red Cross assists other fraternal organizations and faith communities to hold smaller drives, usually at different times of day and days of the week to hope to dip into the entire pool of available donors. Could you call your Red Cross Blood bank and see if they can direct you to any new postings? You might be surprised.

Keep On Dancing*

I've been checking! There are two donor centers in the next biggest city, so I'm thinking that if Red Cross doesn't update any drives near me, I'll time my next trip there to when the center is open.
re: Boston Marathon Explosion (karma: 5)
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 PM
I found an interesting quote by Roger Ebert on glorifying the killer or killers and what influences people to do such a thing. This deal with Columbine, but can be applied to any incident like it.

“Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking soundbites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, ‘that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about ‘The Basketball Diaries’?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machinegun?”
The obscure 1995 Leonardo DiCaprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. Kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, “The NBC Nightly News” and other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them.

The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.”
re: Boston Marathon Explosion (karma: 1)
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 05:09 PM
My daughter had an appointment at MGH today so I set up an appointment to donate blood while I was there. Most hospitals have a blood donor center and you don't need to wait for a Red Cross drive. And even if they don't need full blood donations they will often take platelets.
And after our appointments we went for a walk along the Charles and waved to the Duck boats. It's vacation week here and a beautiful Spring day but there were hardly any families out. It was sad and surreal. And then the coast guard helicopters moved in and sirens started blaring and we found out there was a bomb scare at the courthouse.
I left the city with a heavy heart but a determined head.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 08:13 PM
Didn't go down to Finish Line like I'd planned. Was yacking with a friend when a mutual friend of ours came into the room where we were and turned on the television. We were both in states of shock and horror. Dumbfounded that someone could do such a thing.

Latest update on the bombings:
www1.whdh.com . . .

also:
boston.cbslocal.com . . .

more: www1.whdh.com

The FBI was supposed to release a statement, which was postponed:
www1.whdh.com . . .
" BOSTON (WHDH) -- The press conference at 8 p.m. Wednesday regarding the update of the Boston Marathon explosions has been canceled.

The press conference was postponed due to a bomb threat at the Moakley Federal Court House in South Boston Wednesday afternoon. The courthouse was evacuated but employees and other personnel were allowed back into the building after a Code Red had been lifted.

The courthouse was later closed down for the day.

According to the Associated Press, authorities have obtained a picture of a potential suspect but do not have the person’s name.

Read more: www1.whdh.com . . .
"

more:
www1.whdh.com . . .

I've spread flowers out in my area in lieu of the tragedy.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 AM
FYI: off of the Mass dot gov website:
massgov.blogs.mass.gov . . .
The Boston Marathon Tragedy
"The Boston Marathon tragedy has put the city, state, country and world on alert. Anyone affected by the blasts, whether trying to locate loved ones or figuring out how to navigate the city today will find the resources below a helpful guide. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has released an official statement; our thoughts go out to all.

The City of Boston resource and information center for marathoners has been moved from the Castle at Park Plaza to the City Year Building at 287 Columbus Avenue, where:

· Members of the public can come in for information on counseling services

· Displaced residents can receive information on sheltering services.

· Runners can pick up their belongings that were left behind.

· Runners can re-connect with friends and family.

The City of Boston’s Business Assistance Center has opened in the lobby of the Boston Park Plaza Hotel to respond to any business, employee, or vendor inquiry. This satellite office will be open from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday.

Resources for families trying to reach loved ones:

Call the Mayor’s Hotline 617-635-4500

Red Cross Safe and Well - 1-800-REDCROSS or redcross.org/safeandwell

Person Finder – Boston Marathon

For crisis counseling:

Call 1-800-985-5990

Visit the American Red Cross website

A Grief and Counseling Center has been opened today on the Ground Floor of 287 Columbus Avenue in Boston (City Year) for information and counseling services for families and counselors. The center will be open from 9am to 5pm. The American Red Cross, Boston Commission of Youth and Families, Salvation Army, and MEMA are present

How to help:

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino
announced the formation of The One Fund Boston, the purpose of which is
to raise money to help those families most affected by the tragic events that
unfolded during Monday’s Boston Marathon. Visit onefundboston.org to donate.

Traffic and Commuter Information:

Expect delays and increased law enforcement presence throughout the city and the transit system. For additional information visit the Department of Transportation Blog

TRANSPORTATION CLOSURES / RESTRICTIONS

The HOV lane on I-93 Northbound has been reopened.
Logan Airport continues to institute heightened security measures.
10 Park Plaza (State Transportation Building) continues to implement heightened security measures.
The Prudential ramp of I-90 Eastbound Exit 22 is now open. The Copley ramp remains closed.
The MBTA Copley Station (Green Line) remains closed until further notice. All other subway services have returned to normal operations.
The following MBTA bus routes have been modified due to the ongoing law enforcement investigation in the Copley Square area:
Route 9: Buses will be unable to service St. James St; Dartmouth St; Ring Rd; Boylston St. and Copley Station. The route will begin/terminate at Back Bay Station on the Dartmouth St. side.
Route 10: Buses will be unable to service St. James St; Dartmouth St. The route will begin/terminate at Back Bay Station on the Dartmouth St. side.
Route 39: Buses will be unable to service Copley Station, Boylston St; Belvidere St; and Dalton St. Connections can be made on Huntington Ave. at Belvidere St. and at Back Bay Station on the Dartmouth St. side.
Route 55: Buses will be unable to service Copley Station, Boylston St; Huntington Ave; Belvidere St; and Dalton St. The route will begin/terminate at Back Bay Station on the Dartmouth St. side. Connections can be made at Back Bay Station and on Boylston St. at Ipswich St.
Routes 502 & 503: Buses will be unable to service Stuart St, Copley Square, St. James St; and Dartmouth St. The route will begin/terminate on Federal St. at Franklin St.

The following streets in Boston are closed to foot and vehicle traffic until further notice:
Boylston Street from Berkley Street to Massachusetts Avenue.
All side streets along Boylston Street from Huntington Avenue to Newbury Street

MBCR Train 508 (Commuter Rail Framingham) was evacuated due to a suspicious package during the morning commute. Local and MBTA law enforcement have swept and cleared the train to resume normal operations

A crime scene perimeter has been established in Back Bay.

If you have any photos or knowledge of the events or persons involved, please contact the Boston Crime Tips Hotline at 1-800-494-TIPS or the FBI Tip Line at 1-800-CALL-FBI (Prompt #3).

For more information, visit the City of Boston website and be sure to follow organizations listed below on Twitter for real-time updates:

Boston Police - @Boston_Police

Massachusetts State Police - @MassStatePolice

Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency - @MassEMA

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick - @MassGovernor

City of Boston Emergency Notifications and Alerts - @AlertBoston

City of Boston Office of Constituent Engagement - @NotifyBoston

MBTA - @mbtaGM

And utilize the hashtags #BostonMarathon or #BostonHelp to join the Twitter conversation with any information or offers of assistance.

AGENCY ACTIONS

American Red Cross:

The American Red Cross will be conducting canteen operations to support responders in several locations in Boston today. These will include The Public Garden, Arlington Castle, and in the vicinity of the crime scene perimeter.
ARC is working with DPH and the Dept. of Mental Health to support mental health needs.

Department of Public Health (DPH):

DPH is working with The Dept. of Mental Health, Boston Public Health Commission, and US Dept. of Health and Human Services to coordinate resources and needs for crisis counselors.

Salvation Army:

Salvation Army canteens were positioned at various sites throughout the city, including the Unified Command Post, the Family Assistance Center, and Kenmore Square. An additional canteen roved throughout the impacted area supplying food, snacks, and beverages to those in need. As of this morning, 2,380 meals, snacks, and drinks were supplied to the victims, the families, and first responders. The Salvation Army will remain on site at the Family Assistance Center, located at the Park Plaza Castle, as long as support is needed.
"

a message from Mass. Governor D. Patrick:
"

Friends -

First, after yesterday's horrific events, I hope you, your family members and your friends are safe and sound. I know that all of our thoughts and prayers are with those who were injured.

The state will be open for business today, but it will not be business as usual. For those of you taking public transportation to work, you will see an additional police presence - including random searches of packages, bags, and backpacks. When you get to work, you will also see an additional security presence. While key state buildings have been searched and secured, we are increasing security out of an abundance of caution.

Events like yesterday's can trigger overwhelming feelings of anxiety, anger or fear. HRD and your human resource directors will be reaching out with information about counseling resources as the day progresses. Please take advantage of these services if you need them. And keep an eye out for and help co-workers who may as well.

Law enforcement is working around the clock investigating this tragedy. I am in regular contact with federal, state, and local officials, and all agencies are cooperating fully with the investigation, under the FBI's lead.

As always, I thank you for your service to the Commonwealth and ask that you show a little extra support, patience and kindness to your neighbors.

Sincerely,
Governor Deval L. Patrick
"

to find out if a friend/loved one/relative, etc. was near or close during a disaster:
safeandwell.communityos.org . . .

link to the "One Fund" onefundboston.org
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4729, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Thu Apr 18, 2013 08:46 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2013-04-18 09:00:40
I heard on the news just after this explosion happened that there is some speculation that a white supremacist group may be behind the explosions since Hitler's birthday is coming up this weekend. Investigators may never find out for sure exactly who was responsible for this attack.

I saw on the Today show this morning that at the Boston Bruins hockey game, everyone joined in together and sang the national anthem at the game's opening ceremony. I got a lump in my throat to see that solidarity, and I said another prayer for the people in Boston.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 06:43 AM
The suspects are Chechen. One is dead and they think that they have the other one cornered. I hope they catch his sorry terrorist butt alive.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:07 AM
I hope they do but doubt it.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4729, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 06:55 PM
News bulletin: Boston police have just taken the Chechen young man into custody and are arresting him. I still can't understand exactly what motivated him and the other suspect to carry out this attack.

No doubt you heard earlier today that police had put the town of Waterton under a lockdown for a time, as there was an explosive round of gunfire heard in the immediate area.

Still sending lots of love and support to the people of Boston.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:02 PM
He is injured and under arrest by the FBI
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:17 PM
Have been following live all evening. Bless the many forms of law enforcement who helped to make this happen.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6818, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 09:40 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-04-19 21:45:23 clarity
I am just so relieved for all the people in the area.

I'm sure there are still plenty of "bad guys" out there in the world, but I suspect Boston is safe for a while.

It's clear that the cowards who did this weren't appreciative of the last three centuries of "local character" of Massachusetts . From the Salem witch trials, to Bunker Hill, to the anarchists of the last century, to this latest act of terrorism, no one should ever expect to mess around with Boston and expect to advance their own agenda. Cause harm to the citizens or cause civil disorder and they will close down the entire city, or whatever it takes, and hunt you down, and they will not stop until they find you.

I hope the victims find peace and healing. It is just so awful that so many innocents were so harmed by these individuals. Such hatred is something I will never, ever understand.

Hugs to all
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 PM
April is really a terrible month for tragedies. I believe today is also the anniversary of the Waco final assault and the Oklahoma City Bombing. A good point has been brought up elsewhere, due to the bombing and lockdown, Boston has lost a lot of revenue. If you have ever wanted to visit Boston, don't let this deter you! I hope to visit sometime this year.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 PM
I feel so sorry for the 2 young men's parents (and wider family also). They, too, are victims. The parents came here and worked hard to give their kids a chance at a good education and a good life. They thought they had succeeded even though they, growing older, felt a need to move back closer to where they were born.

I can sort of see how the older son could be turned into an amateur terrorist, having spent much more time outside the US and perhaps not feeling totally accepted here. But why, oh why, did he have to drag his younger brother into this? The 19 year old kid had grown up as an American, was idealistic and even anti-violence looking at Twitter (and/or Facebook posts) from during his high-school years. He was so promising! His high school and college friends all stood by him -- even in light of the fact that he was incontrovertibly a mass murderer -- having nothing but praise for the friend he was and the help he had given some of them to achieve more than they thought they could.

Of course the parents are convinced this is all a mistake and there must be a nefarious plot to railroad the kids into taking the fall for someone else's deeds. But the evidence is all too clear.

I'm very glad they were able to capture the younger brother alive as he may be able to give some insight into how all this could come about.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-19 23:44:45 Edit
I am going to sound totally insensitive but need to get this off my chest.

I am SOOOO tired of numerous news stations covered the oppression, the lifestyle, how these bombers grew up, their families, what made them do it blah blah blah. I am so sick and tired of them talking over and over about them like they are some kind of hero.

I wish they would spend the time talking about the heroes and first responders who ran TOWARDS the bombing area to help out. How about the stranger who got covered in blood assisting people? How about the runners who ran to comfort victims. Why aren't THEY the ones on the news channels being talked about over and over?

These pieces of shit aren't worth the airtime that news stations are giving them.

*Edit*

Katie told me to watch NBC. I am in tears right now because of the amazing coverage about the victims and heros.

By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 08:29 AM
I'm glad that they caught him (alive) however I'm REALLY upset with the news coverage.

I had been watching one specific channel ALL day long, obviously accepting their information as facts. Then randomly I changed to another news source and they were telling a whole different story. Basically the only thing these two channels agree on is that he was caught alive, with injuries sustained during a fight earlier that day.

Really, people? How about offering the same coverage all the time? I don't know what to believe now...guess it doesn't really matter because either way he's in custody and will pay for what he did.
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch