Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Politics & Current Affairs
Everyone in Texas ok?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 09:35 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-17 21:37:48

I saw that there was a huge power plant explosion ( fertilizer plant? )in West Texas and possible people trapped and multiple injuries.

I know several people on Ddn are in Texas.

23 Replies to Everyone in Texas ok?

re: Everyone in Texas ok?
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 09:46 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2013-04-17 21:48:48
I am fine! It's a fertilizer plant in the town of West, just north of Waco. I'm about an hour west of there. My friends and I are all on fb talking about. It's really, really bad. A four block area destroyed, a nursing home damaged and evacuated, the middle school is burning, the triage center which was set up at the football filed has been evacuated due to fears of more explosions, 60 to 70 are estimated dead, hundreds more injured. It's horrifying. :(

EDIT: We are now hearing reports the entire town is being evacuated, about 2500 people. The town is gripped in gridlock with people trying to get out and emergency workers trying to get in.

kk~
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 09:57 PM
KK, I'm glad you're okay! Hopefully the rest of our DDN family is safe.

This whole week has been disaster after disaster. Geez.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 PM
If anyone hears of any ways to help out, please let us know.
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 PM
They have put out a call for blood donations. I'm sure I'll be hearing tomorrow about other donations being needed. I have a bag of clothing I was about to take to Goodwill but I'll be giving it to the West survivors instead as soon as I find a group organizing donations. Possibly there will be kitchens to help in. They have let school out til Monday.

kk~
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 PM
DH and I live in the Austin area, which is about 2 hours south of the Waco area. So we are fine. :) Thank you for your concern, it's nice to see people we've never met care if we hear about something bad happening in another state.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 PM
Is Baylor University being evacuated?
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:34 PM
Ally wrote:

Is Baylor University being evacuated?

More than likely, they're evacuating the entire area because they think there will be another explosion. So, it wouldn't surprise me if most of Waco is evacuated. I know they have told everyone to leave the town of West where the explosion actually was.
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2013-04-17 22:57:17
They are telling people in the surrounding communities to stay inside because the air is not safe.

I'm not finding anything about Baylor evacuating. They are a good 20 minutes away.

kk~
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Thu Apr 18, 2013 09:00 AM
We're okay, although I'm heartbroken over the whole thing. I travel to several competitions in Texas, and the Czech Stop (a family-owned bakery in West that sells kolaches) is a necessary pit stop on the way to wherever we're headed. The news said that they're treating it as a criminal case unless they find evidence otherwise.

Several firefighters who were there trying to put out the fire before the explosion have remained unaccounted for as well.
On Thu Apr 18, 2013 09:09 AM
Treating it as a crime scene early on is pretty common in this cases. It doesn't necessarily mean that a crime occurred. That designation is about securring the area, search and rescue, recovery, etc. They believe it is going to be found to be a tragic accident. That plant does not have a very good track record for safety. OSHA cited them twice in recent years.

kk~
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:42 AM
So, so sad! I didn't hear about til this morning. Too many tragedies. Austin is far enough away to not be effected by it directly, hopefully the environmental reports are true and we won't get an ammonia cloud headed our way. Much love to residents and those who are caught directly in this.
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 09:34 PM
UPDATE:

14 people have now been confirmed dead, among them eight volunteer firefighters. Dozens more are still listed as missing, 200 injured, 50 homes destroyed. The search and rescue operation is complete, efforts are now search and recovery and securing the area while residents begin cleaning up areas that are open to them. The part of town nearest the blast site is still under evacuation orders as the investigation continues. HazMat teams are on site working to contain and clean up remaining amonium nitrate and other materials.

The remains of the deceased fire fighters are being returned to their families tonight as the entire town stands watch.

kk~
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 PM
I am so, so, sad for everyone near this disaster.

I saw a man being interviewed on television who was asked, "How many of the victims did you know?" He hesitated, got all choked up and answered, "All of them".

Close communities can be such a blessing for many, but when this amount of heartache strikes... ugh....just so awful.

I hope peace comes to everyone soon.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 AM
Everything is fine where I live here in San Antonio. The incident happened too far away from me to even notice it. This is very sad. I do not know anyone in the town of West, Texas but I have driven right past it numerous times. Very small town so I hope the folks their will band together to overcome such a tragedey. All things point right now point to it being an industrial accident, however, it appears the company was storing materials in much greater quantities then it was licensed for at the time.
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 06:22 PM
A 15th victim has perished. This person had been in the hospital and died of their injuries. A memorial service for all the victims is set for Thursday at Baylor University in Waco. The President and First Lady (who are in Texas for the opening of the new Bush Library in Dallas) are to attend. Westboro Baptist Church has said they will picket, but the locals and neighboring towns are planning a blockade.

It has been heartwarming to watch how much help the people of West are receiving and to be a part of the efforts.

kk~
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/922756_610258625669049_39539428_n.png'

Oh, Texas...

Documents reviewed by The Huffington Post indicate that the last time regulators performed a full safety inspection of the facility was nearly 28 years ago. The entity with primary authority to ensure workplace safety, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, last visited in 1985, according to OSHA records.

www.huffingtonpost.com . . .

I do keep the victims in my thoughts though. I'm in San Antonio, far away from West but I know it's a pretty small community that will require some rebuilding. It's sad to see people go through this.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 PM
kandykane wrote:

Westboro Baptist Church has said they will picket

WHY???
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 PM
I was referring to private aid, not federal aid. I shudder to think that Rick Perry, Ted Cruz and their cronies are Texans.

And yes, it's awful that plant was so poorly regulated. Many companies like this hide under the radar in small towns. I hope this puts a spotlight on that issue.

As far as WBC... who knows what these people are thinking? Just attention grabbers for their agenda, I suppose. But from what I hear they will find themselves greatly outnumbered and up against a wall.

kk~
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 06:23 AM
Tunie wrote:

kandykane wrote:

Westboro Baptist Church has said they will picket

WHY???

Because all they want is attention. If we ignored them, they'd go away.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39 PM
They also said they were going to Newtown and Boston Marathon funerals and that hasn't happened. Anytime there are disasters they say they will go, and people get all ready to block them and then they don't come. It's pretty pathetic (though I'm glad they often don't follow through)
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 05:08 PM
The McLennan county sheriff has made an announcement that anyone who attempts to disrupt any of the memorial services will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The DA has announced his support for this measure. With the secret service also in attendance, hopefully, this will discourage any WBC efforts.

kk~
On Wed May 01, 2013 09:21 PM
The sheriff made good on his threat. WBC showed up to picket the memorial service and the sheriff arrested them all and tossed them into a holding cell for 24 hours. No charges were filed and they were released the next day, but that was plenty of time for the service to be held with no disruption.

kk~
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Wed May 01, 2013 09:29 PM
kandykane wrote:

The sheriff made good on his threat. WBC showed up to picket the memorial service and the sheriff arrested them all and tossed them into a holding cell for 24 hours. No charges were filed and they were released the next day, but that was plenty of time for the service to be held with no disruption.

kk~
I hadn't read about that. Three cheers for that sheriff!

ReplySendWatch