Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Any tips for a new contact wearer?
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 09:12 AM
Edited by KeepOnSingin (116683) on 2013-04-19 10:05:35

So I just got contacts for the first time ever yesterday. It's much easier for me to put in the one for my right eye (probably because I'm right handed), and that's the one that is more comfortable as well.

Any tips for someone new to contacts?

And no, I'm not talking about the basics or whatever that they cover in the "class" they make you go to. I mean actual, real tips from real wearers in the everyday world.

11 Replies to Any tips for a new contact wearer?

re: Any tips for a new contact wearer?
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 09:51 AM
Keep them clean and bring an extra pair when you travel. Didn't you go to a class where they taught you all of this?
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 09:54 AM
You have a foreign object in your eye. It's going to take time to adjust. It will feel funny for awhile. They will be hard to get in for awhile. Like everything else, you'll get better with practice. I've been wearing contacts for 12 years and I still occasionally have trouble getting the lens into my right eye.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 09:56 AM
You just get used to it. I thought mine would always itch and I'd never get used to it, but I did. I still try to keep glasses with me just in case.
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 AM
UberGoober wrote:

Keep them clean and bring an extra pair when you travel. Didn't you go to a class where they taught you all of this?

Well yes, they had me do a class for the very basics of everything...but that's not really what I was going for with this post...
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 AM
I never had a contact lens class.

I found that I just wore disposables till they felt dry and gritty... But that if I used a protein tablet and did a cleaning that way I would get extra time out of them.

Resetting drops... Keep them withyou.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 01:22 PM
KeepOnSingin wrote:

It's much easier for me to put in the one for my right eye (probably because I'm right handed), and that's the one that is more comfortable as well.

Are you using you left hand to put it in you left eye? That's weird. I just use my right hand for both.
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 01:57 PM
majere wrote:

KeepOnSingin wrote:

It's much easier for me to put in the one for my right eye (probably because I'm right handed), and that's the one that is more comfortable as well.

Are you using you left hand to put it in you left eye? That's weird. I just use my right hand for both.

No. I'm using my right hand for both.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 02:03 PM
Practice makes perfect. Take your time and wake up earlier so that you don't feel rushed.

I personally use my left hand for my left eye and my right hand for my right eye! I lift my lid with the other hand and that's it. I also make sure I take them off as soon as I start to feel sleepy. I fell asleep with my contacts on by accident one time and it caused a major infection. I am now only able to wear them 2-3 days a week.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 02:22 PM
KeepOnSingin wrote:

majere wrote:

KeepOnSingin wrote:

No. I'm using my right hand for both.

Here's what I do, I take my left pointer finger(on the top lid) and thumb (on the bottom lid) and hold my left eye open and insert the contact with my right pointer finger. Then I use my pointer and middle finger of my left hand and pull my top lid up of my right eye and use my middle finger on my right hand to pull down my right bottom lid and insert the contact with my right pointer/index finger.

If that made sense. If not I can film myself, if you want to see my method.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 04:56 PM
I use my right hand for my right eye and left had for my left eye when putting them in. But I use my right hand for both eyes when taking them out. I guess it's just personal preference. is there anything specific you are looking for, not getting the hang of, not comfortable with. It's really just a matter of getting used to it. I used to have to all the lights on and go right up to the mirror to get it in, but as I got more familiar with my eyes and what I needed to do it got easier. Just be patient. You may need to get up a couple of minutes earlier in the morning to make sure you have time to get them in properly.
By dance4ballet
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 05:39 AM
There are several ways you can insert your contact lenses. The main thing you want to do is open your eye up REALLY WIDE, you need a LARGE surface. Now, relax. Do not be worked up. I like to use my left index finger to lift up ALL my eyelashes uppp riot my brow bone. With my right middle finger I will pull down my bottom eyelid. Hold your eyelids firm. The contact in on your right index finger. Look straight ahead to aim, and look up at the last second when you are ready to place the lens onto the white part of your eye. The lens should "lay itself" down on your eye if you have a nice fitting lens. Now, look up, down, left and right, and has a slow blink, and voila!

When I first started wearing them, it took me a long time to do, now this process takes me 1 second per eye!

To take the lenses out... Easy! You can do without a mirror if needed. Look into a mirror, or look up. Touch towards the colored part of your eye, and drag down. Drag allll the way down, and pinch the lens out. The issue most people have wi this is they have trouble with the feeling of touching their eye and pulling something out. This just takes practice, and you will get used to it.

My tips? 1. Be patient and relax.

2. The lens can not get stuck in the back of your eye, this is anatomically impossible. The woes place it might become stuck is the corner of your eye or up under your eyelid. If so, take a q tip / cotton swab, lift your eyelids this way and that, run the cotton swab up under the lid and it should come free.

3. DO NOT SLEEP IN LENSES. EVER. You WILL get an infection. I myself have had keratitis due to poor handling of lenses and had to switch back to glasses for 2 weeks. I have seen a girl with a biiiiig white scar across her cornea (very visible) because she slept in her lenses,, got an infection and ripped the lens out of her eye. She now has limited vision in that eye. Another girl had an infection, and would have gone blind if she didn't get to the ER in time. You MUST be responsible with lenses. If you can be responsible, don't wear them!!

4. If you DO accidentally sleep in them, or feel pain, the best thing to do is leave the lenses in. Put some lubricating eye drops in to rehydrate he lens, and head straight to the optometrist or ophthalmologist. This is because, if you DO have a nasty infection, the last thing you want to do is rip a very dry, infectious lens off your cornea and end up with corneal scarring. Leave the lenses in, and the eye doctor will figure out the best way to remove them.

5. Be clean with the lenses. Wash the lenses appropriately. DO NOT use lenses ANY LONGER than the recommended time frame. DO NOT try to "save money" by making a lens last say 2 months instead of 1. The reason: Contact lenses need to be permeable to oxygen. They COVER your cornea, your eye needs oxygen. They lose this permeability over time. At the end of the month, they become quite impermeable to oxygen. Your eye wil not get the oxygen supply it needs. This leads to neovascularisation (the growth of NEW BLOOD VESSELS) as the eye grows new vessels to supply oxygen in the blood to it. Your eyes will appear red, tired, less bright, and the lack of oxygen leads to INFECTION.

6. This leads again to why you shouldn't sleep in lenses. When you close your eyes, the only blood supply to the eyeball is through the blood vessels in your eyelids. When you sleep in a lens, the lens blocks the blood supply from the eyelid. Yes, there are lenses you can "sleep in", but why would you want to decrease the oxygen supply to your eyelid at all? Yes the lens is permeable, but it is still a blocker. You NEED to remow the lens, let your eyes "breathe." We already have reduced oxygen to the eye when we sleep, we do not need to reduce it any more. This lack of oxygen again leads to SERIOUS INFECTION.

7. Clean and disinfect your contact lens case.make sure to throw away solution when it expires. Carry spare lenses, solution, a case and a pair of glasses everywhere you go. Replace your eye makeup mascara and eyeliner every 3 months (they harbour bacteria.) Apply makeup AFTER lenses have been inserted, and then remove makeup BEFORE removing lenses. This minimizes their contact with nasty makeup. Do not swim in the lenses (water has bacteria which can EAT YOUR LENS AND EAT YOUR EYE.)

I am being serious. I have seen shocking and tragic cases of contact lens misuse. Infections are nasty, horrible, they hurt badly. They an be damaging, and even blinding.

If you can use your lenses correctly, you will have a long, wonderful life of contac lens use. They are wonderful things to use, and the vision is great.

If you misuse them despite all this advice, it can be disastrous.

ReplySendWatch