Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
Time for some soul searching
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:42 PM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-04-19 12:44:42
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-04-19 12:51:58

Re. the thread where I got into trouble:

Actually I even violated my own creed. “Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow,” and there I was rubbing people’s noses in yesterday.

The OP wanted validation for her chosen course of taking a boyfriend and building her own life. She also wanted her siblings to be free to build their lives, and she certainly did not want any recurrence, for any member of her extended family, of any of the obstacles that she previously had to face – including the parental restrictions. I should have just asked her what she could have done to lessen the chance of such recurrence. Nobody would have considered it blame if I had kept her attention on the future.

And yes, as one poster on that thread pointed out, a Google search would help one find ways of predicting human behavior and thus helping the entire family avoid such bad apples in the future. But why confine that search to what my own group has to offer? Why not search for all available help on predicting human behavior? www.google.com . . .
23 million results.

Another poster on that thread pointed out that one can become deeply entrenched in one’s own religious community, and that is not the half of it. One also can become entrenched in one’s own career field – or studies of any kind and thereby forget what one used to find offensive or even threatening.

Example: Back in grade school we all sometimes were implicated on a “but for” criterion

(“if you had not done such-and-such, the calamity would not have occurred”, or even “if so-and-so had taught you such-and such, the calamity would not have occurred”).

For want of a nail, Spoiler: Show
...the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
For want of a horse, the message was lost.
For want of a message, the battle was lost.
For want of a battle, the war was lost.
Now are you going to charge that blacksmith with losing the entire war because he failed to fasten that one last nail securely?

From legal training, I learned that the “but for” criterion is so absurd that I subsequently never have thought that anyone making a “but for” statement was blaming anybody.

And I don’t want anyone, on DDN or elsewhere, ever to consider any “but for” statement as blame.

Nevertheless, my posts on that thread should have been concerned solely with the future.

As for the flowers, if you had been in my shoes, would you have expected anyone to read anything but the shortest of messages? Please consider that before taking insult.

And if any of my posts anywhere were taken as attempts to recruit, please consider this: We never expect anyone to accept anything on faith.
What is true for you is what you have observed for yourself, and when you lose that, you have lost everything.

I personally consider that our most fundamental doctrine, but I don’t expect anyone to accept even that unless he or she has observed it personally.

But I am dismayed when someone does not look – or worse, attempt to dissuade others from looking.

And some quotes from the religion of my childhood are in order. NOTE: These are altered only enough to correct the male-oriented wording in this part of the original reference, the Talmud.
Who is brave? One who turns an enemy into a friend.

Who is wise? One who learns from everyone.

I hope I measure up.

I don’t consider that the St Patrick’s Day threads, or the wishes of Merry Christmas, or the use of any buzz words of any religion were attempts to convert me.

----------

The last step in any totally thorough apology would be to petition every member of the group for re-entry, but the number, and scattered locations, of the members make that impractical.

15 Replies to Time for some soul searching

re: Time for some soul searching
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 02:43 PM
Hmmm... What??

Have you and Shadow been comparing notes?
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 03:18 PM
^No Sara, I was unaware of that thread.

Comment #10099356 deleted
Removed by Louise (29559) on 2013-04-19 16:09:19 Total double-post-mare of a situation.

re: Time for some soul searching (karma: 1)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 04:08 PM
Are you ever going to admit that you're a scientologist? Who is "we"? Be upfront for once! Your reluctance to do so means either a) you're ashamed of it or b) you're only here for shady purposes. Or both. So what is it? What is this thread? Your language just smacks of someone trying to sound more intelligent than they are, and that intimidates and fools so many people. Just be who YOU are for once. Actually make an effort to express yourself clearly for once without obsolete sentence structures and complicated prose, without saying "we" and not explaining what "we" is. speak as an individual for once. And after that I'd really like to hear from the mods on why exactly you're still allowed to be here.

Edit to add, I actually meant Linh since I know many mods are just as opposed to you as the rest of us.
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 05:54 PM
Are you ever going to admit that you're a scientologist? Who is "we"?

Why should I state what is common knowledge? And you just stated who "we" are.

Do you yourself believe the rest of your post?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 06:21 PM
How did you find DDN and what made you decide to join? I am curious because I love hearing how people find us.

There are plenty of non dancers on this website and I am curious if you have any dance experience?

Yes, so it is common knowledge that you are a scientologist. The thing is, with things like Merry Christmas, it isn't really giving advice. If someone was using Christianity as an excuse for being stupid, I am sure people will jump on them too. Just because you are a scientologist doesn't give you the excuse to give stupid advice or to act like a fool.
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:23 PM
^Yes, I have made some stupid posts, but who has not acted the fool at some time or other?
But for the most part, not everyone finds my posts stupid. It is all too easy to shoot down advice by posting secondhand material instead of the original material.

I joined DDN because of the "Folk" board, and for years that is where I did most of my posting. I worked for years (and in vain) to liven up that board - posting links to events and to both performance videos and instructional videos.

To quote a previous post:
Yes, I do dance. I am too old for ballet or jazz, but our folk group did 13 performance gigs last Oktoberfest season and 14 the previous season.

Our group does Austrian, German, and Swiss dances. Our founder is totally Austrian (he used to sing with the Vienna Boys' Choir)

And yes, I do schuhplattler, even though I prefer the Austrian dances that try to tie me in knots.

Recreationally I do just about any type of international folk dance. I still do this one at age 72.
youtube.com . . .

In addition, there are dancers in my family, so I have an interest there as well.

The purpose of this thread is an apology, so I won't say any more. I don't want to turn this thread into a debate.
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:45 PM
That's really cool that you do folk dance. Hopefully you are able to get more people on the folk boards and you can stay there and have your folk discussions.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:56 PM
This is an apology?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-04-19 23:03:57 added an apology
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-04-19 23:04:50 sorry
Image hotlink - 'http://effectcheck.com/Content/images/casestudies/ApologiesGoDaddy30WordMovingWindow.jpg'

If I thought about this for too long, I'd be as confused as this graph.

I've had a dense day, and I may actually try to get some sleep, but before I do, my imaginary best friend Pollyanna is flashing some cue cards, for my brain to record before I go off to dream land. Perhaps my brain can sort them out while it rests.

Image hotlink - 'http://a121.g.akamai.net/7/121/21164/20080918162211/content.fromyouflowers.com/images/corporate/business-apologies-image.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://favim.com/orig/201105/02/Favim.com-31907.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://www.dreamstime.com/girl-refusing-apologies-from-boyfriend-thumb20360074.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://www.aledlewis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Apologies.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://heartgoddessart.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/apolgies.jpg?w=500'
Image hotlink - 'http://img.wrongcards.com/card/apologies-sincere.png'

I'm too tired to even attempt to comment with words.

One of the old people at the Senior Citizen Center where I volunteer smacked me today saying, "Stop hopping around. Just calm down and listen to the music and count." Apparently, when she asked me to do The Lindy with her, she didn't mean The Lindy HOP! My day went down hill from there.

Words escape me.

Keep On Dancing*

*EDIT*
ps. It seems I may own the smack down senior lady AN APOLOGY!

This clip is more "glide" than "hop". I hope she will forgive my exuberance.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 AM
I'm confused. What is all this about?
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 05:48 AM
^I made an ass of myself on the Anonymous board and am very much not welcome on that thread. This is an attempt to set things right.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 06:37 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2013-04-20 06:38:27
Do you yourself believe the rest of your post?

I don't know what that even means.

The purpose of this thread is an apology,

Without actually saying sorry.

so I won't say any more.

Especially not the word sorry.

This is an attempt to set things right.

Without actually saying/being sorry.

The last step in any totally thorough apology would be to petition every member of the group for re-entry, but the number, and scattered locations, of the members make that impractical.

The first step in any apology would be saying the word SORRY and meaning it.
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 02:15 PM
You do have a point. Demonstrating that one is remorseful is incomplete without the proper language of etiquette. I truly am sorry.
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 02:26 PM
I'm glad you were able to admit that. Thank you

ReplySendWatch