Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
a post Boston attack repease
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:20 AM

Like everyone this week I was glued to the television after the events in Boston this past Monday. As a human I found myself to be making supplications for those who were injured and killed and for my friends who attend Boston area colleges to remain safe while the manhunt for the suspects was going on, but as a Muslimah, my heart was screaming "please don't be Muslims that committed this act of incredible hatred." Because I knew, even though I am a fair skinned American woman, the scarf on my head would be fodder for the Islamophobes looking to voice their opinion of a religion that is oft misunderstood.

Today, as I was doing my normal errands, picking up a special order at the book store, having some soup at Panera. I felt more stares than I normally did, because honestly, a young white woman in a hijab does draw some looks, but today they felt more intense, like they were watching me to make sure I wasn't going to do anything.

I wish people could see that these extremists are not TRUE practitioners of Islam, but rather people who TWIST the word of God to suit their agenda. They do not practice Islam the way the Prophet Muhammad (Salalahu Alayhi Wa Salam) had practiced. Which is the way that Muslims strive to practice.

I just pray that one day, people will understand, not all Muslims are terrorists, the majority of us are peaceful, normal human beings that just want to go about our lives.

10 Replies to a post Boston attack repease

re: a post Boston attack repease
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 06:05 AM
I have nothing but respect for the religion that succeeded in civilizing Eleventh Century Spain. That would require an enormous amount of tolerance and compassion.
re: a post Boston attack repease (karma: 1)
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:48 AM
I am a Bostonian and proud to be one. I'm also proud to be not just tolerant of diversity but embracing of it. I saw a friends recent FB meme that I loved- it said "Saying terrorists are representative of all Muslims is like saying Westboro Baptist church is representative of all Christians".
There are good and bad people in every town in every city in every country who may or may not twist, bend and distort religion to their misguided use.
Acts such as this are never representative of the greater whole and I'm confident that here in Boston we will see that.
By teenydanseur Comments: 513, member since Mon Nov 23, 2009
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:52 AM
I basically find it absurd that people treat Muslims differently following attacks and I'm sorry you are being treated that way. The men responsible for Newton and Aurora were white American, probably Christian men , and none of us went around looking at that group more suspiciously. So everyone keep that in mind. I honestly don't understand this American Muslim fear. Mental illness, nihilism cause these attacks. We'd be better off fearing our friends with rabid incoherent agendas they believe everyone else needs to fall in line with.

I worry more about homegrown terrorists than I do about people moving to America. And also the likelihood of being in a terrorist attack in America is so low, why live your life in that fear?

I hope you get relief from the ignorance of others.
By SoClassy Comments: 316, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 01:18 PM
"Saying all Muslims are terrorists is like saying all Catholics are pedophiles: they're not."

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. As a Christian and more specifically a Catholic, my heart aches whenever I hear of people claiming my faith yet doing horrible things such as raping children or killing Protestants. Just as I believe those people weren't truly Christians, I simply cannot believe the horrid men who set the bombs or flew into the Twin Towers were really Muslim.

Prayers to all those affected by the bombings.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 08:06 PM
I would hate it if Muslims, or Buddhists, or Jews, or Atheists, assumed that all Christians (my group) are like members of the Westboro Baptist Church. It is unfair when the actions of a few bring innocents harm to their good name or reputation. I do think it would help if certain religious communities and their leaders were more openly critical of their own "Lunatic Fringe".... and every group has them.

I am just sickened by the state of the human race. Can't we do better than this?

Keep On Dancing*
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:09 PM
I am just curious are there any passages of the Koran that can be skewed that badly to justify those types of actions as religious based?

Funny enough I pictured the bomber as a young white man who did it because society pissed him off.

I didn't assume terrorist action.

I feel like something is missing from the story.

There are extremists in all religions that don't represent that religion at all. I don't assume Muslims to be terrorists as I have never met any that would lead me to that. Most have been very much the opposite and I don't mind speaking religion with them because they don't try to convert me. I may not agree with aspects of the religion but I respect it.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:04 PM
There was a Muslim girl in my class when I took religion, and this was how she explained it:

Part of the faith is a concept called 'jihad', which some fundamentalist groups interpret as 'a holy war'. When Muslims commit acts of terror in the name of their religion, they think they are carrying out jihad.

What jihad literally means is 'struggle'. Most Muslims see this as a personal struggle. For example, fasting can be considered a jihad. The point is that it strengthens the individual person's faith. The concept of a holy war is a complete misunderstanding of what the the Koran actually says.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 01:56 AM
It is telling that when the uncle of these young men was located, he made an appeal to the younger man to turn himself in and ask forgiveness for his actions. The rest of his remarks were equally humane, balanced, and admirable. It is so, so, unfair to attribute any of the actions of evil individuals to any group with whom they share a religious or cultural identity. His own family (the uncle) found these actions shameful.

Keep On Dancing*
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 03:25 PM
^Correct. I believe their uncle was saying that this was not how his brother raised them and not how Islam taught them. He full out called them fools.
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:25 PM
novicedancer you're absolutely correct, "jihad" is the term they use as a "holy war" against those who the fundamentalists consider enemies. What jihad really is is an internal struggle. For example, my biggest jihad was deciding to wear hijab full-time knowing my parents didn't really approve of it now, though my mom now appreciates that I do wear it, because she does't feel "silly" being the only one of us wearing a scarf when we go out (she's battling breast cancer and has just started losing her hair...but I digress)

As far as verses from the Quran that can be skewed easily, I haven't read the Quran from cover to cover as of yet, so I'm not an authority on the Quran at all

ReplySendWatch