Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
$30 for nanny?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 02:55 AM
Locked by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-25 01:00:43 I decided to continue charging $25 an hour. I am going to save money to go get a MBA, and that might allow more doors to open for me if I decide to work for a smaller startup or family own businesses. I got accepted to a MBA program, but I am going to defer for 1 year while I work to save money.

I wanted to get the opinions of moms here.

I currently charge a flat rate of $25 an hour babysitting. I also do house chores such as cooking, laundry, vacuuming when the kids are napping. No one has complained about $25 being too much.

Now that I have graduated college, can I advertise my price as a bit higher for $30 an hour? I would probably continue charging my lower rate to previous families, but I am looking for other part time babysitting jobs to make full time hours.

22 Replies to $30 for nanny?

re: $30 for nanny?
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:24 AM
The fees for services like this are specific to a region. No one here would pay that, but in your city maybe so. Check some local sources to make your decision.

kk~
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:56 AM
You can try upping your price if you want, but how has gradating college made you a better nanny when your degree isn't in education or anything similar? If that is the going rate for nannies where you live, then give it a shot, but I don't see what graduating college with a business degree has to do with this. I know everyone gets paid more in the SF area but wow, when I occasionally babysit for the neighbors I usually make 12-15 an hour for two toddler/pre-schoolers. I have a master's degree and also live in a high cost of living city.
By dancemomtoo Comments: 2643, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:45 PM
Wow- I live in Chicago and 15-20 is absolutely max-where do you live?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 PM
Now Yum yum, I don't know much about being a nanny...but my daughter's 13 year old niece (husband's sister's daughter) just got certified as a soccer referee and she gets $60 per game. Of course you might run a risk of breaking a nail...or losing a diamond. :P Great physical workout as well. I think she does two games each weekend at the moment.

Jon
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 PM
^ Yum yum is a friend of mine (under her real name) and will recognize when I'm pulling her chain!

Jon
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:50 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-20 12:55:34
A lot of my clients tend to want college educated nannies taking care of their kids. I guess they want someone who is educated. I teach the kids piano, ballet, and do housekeeping. I have also been paid to go to Hawaii with the family and they provided all my accommodations.

I guess this job isn't just babysitting but more of joining the family. I would go to weddings, corporate events, and travel with the families. I am almost a personal assistant plus I watch the kids. I've helped the father come up with his sales pitch and helped him with his PowerPoint. I have gone to corporate events with him.

My friend in this area makes $45 an hour, but she works for a famous rich family here. These people that I work with are rich people, not the average joe down the street. For example, my friend received a Prada bag for Christmas.
If a family is bringing home $300,000 a year, paying $25-30 isn't that much for them I guess.

I guess I am not exactly sure what I am. A personal assistant, nanny, babysitter? If I am helping the family with their financial stuff, I feel like my business degree comes into play. I didn't go to college to be only making $20 an hour.
$25 an hour was alright as a student, but I feel that as a college graduate I should get paid more.

I guess the kind part of me feels bad charging $30 an hour, but there is a demand for me and people may be willing to pay that price. I don't want to be getting underpaid but at the same time, I don't want to be greedy and blow my chances.

There are full time nanny service businesses that charge $22 minimum for one child.( the nanny keeps that fee, plus the family pays the agency that amount) In order to even apply, you need to be bilingual, have a college GPA of 3.0 +, and have 5 + years of paid experience. I got my first job through them, but since I have a huge pool of families who demand my time, I feel like I MAY be able to raise my prices to $30. I just wanted a second opinion and run it by DDN
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 01:03 PM
Here is an example of a nanny service that is the direct competitor of my agency. ( I'm not comfortable giving mine away)

www.spnannies.com . . .
The pay rate is $18-$25 an hour, but for full time it is $3500-$5000 a month.

This place only needs 3 years of experience and they don't have a minimum gpa or education level. Obviously these nannies are going to be paid a bit less then our agency which has more rigorous standards.

I may try to make it $27 an hour and see what my current families say. Moms, would you be upset if your babysitter brought up a possible raise? I don't want to upset these families but at the same time, I was taught that if you don't ever negotiatiate you never get anywhere.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 04:27 PM
Wow, I honestly don't know what to say. If that is the norm and there is demand then up your price. In DC, in the professional world, it seems no matter what type of degree you have, without 5 years of full time experience you will be paid very little. I worked for $10/hour while doing my master's and did a stint of interning for free as well. My first salaried job started at 30K a year, minimum 9 hour days, sometimes up to 13 (i did get a bonus though) and I just had a job interview where they were offering $30-35K and this would be an on call all the time type of job, plus 9 hours a day in the office. But different professions and different locations. Unless there are other nannies in the San Francisco area on this board, I'm not sure anyone here can tell you what to do. I think a lot of us are thinking we should move to SF and be nannies! How many hours a week would you say you work with this family? Also, do you think this is something you are going to be more long term? I was under the impression you were looking for a corporate job (though honestly, at $30 an hour you might be better off staying in the nanny/family assistant business). And I thought California was going broke lol.
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 05:25 PM
I moved out of San Francisco although nannies were getting paid well there.
I live in the heart of Silicon Valley and I admit that puts us in a artifical bubble in prices. CAis going broke, but not all the people in CA are, if that makes sense.

I WAS looking for a Corporate job but I figured that I would make a lot more working as a Nanny. Women here are very career minded, and they seem that they would pay any amount of money to prove to the world that they are a career woman. At the same time, a lot of them are making BANK here, so being a career woman is a great idea.

The thing is, there is a huge pool of graduates here because we have Stanford, Berkeley, along with other top colleges. There is fierce competition here for corporate jobs, and I can't find an entry level corporate positions that would allow me to make the same as a nanny. Especially since I am competiting with 4.0 Stanford and Berkeley graduates for these jobs. I am finding that unless I get a MBA, I am not marketable at all here.

I think I want to do this nanny thing long term ( I have 5 years of paid experience) and I am almost tempted to start my own small business. My other plan is to do this for 5 years and then go and get my MBA.

Choices choices in the next few months. I want to work as a ballet teacher in the evenings, so I am thinking about 6-8 hours per day for a family. I sometimes go once a week to each family, because they just want a second babysitter coming in to tutor the children, while they have a full time nanny there.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 08:01 AM
$25 an hour was alright as a student, but I feel that as a college graduate I should get paid more.

But again...this isn't what your degree is in. You took business classes for four years, so I need to pay you more to play the piano with my kid? You keep sticking to that argument, but it really doesn't make any sense.

I've not priced a nanny, so I don't know what they go for around here, but we do pretty well for our area, and I'd have a next to impossible time floating a $30 an hour babysitter past my husband.
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 AM
^ I see what you are saying. On the other hand, having any type of college degree vs the high school degree really makes you a lot more marketable in the nanny agencies in this area.

For example, even in minimum wage jobs, someone with a college degree would get paid more automatically for having that degree. Regardless of the degree.

I am also currently taking early childhood education classes so by the end of the year, I will have an A.A degree in childhood education.

Thanks everyone for letting me play out all these scenarios and " what ifs". It really helps brainstorming on here and having people take a look at things.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 AM
I can't comment on the price levels but if a "good" corporate job is what you're aiming for in the future, don't you think future employers would rather take someone who's worked in the field rather than someone who's worked as a nanny for the same amount of time?

Just something to ponder. I can totally see why you would choose the nanny route with that kind of pay though.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 AM
I think that when you get your edu degree upping your prices would be fair, but before doesn't really seem to me to be unless that is the regular rate where you live. Here, if you advertised yourself as a nanny and asked for more than $20/hour, you would never get hired, so forget $30!
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-22 11:22:49
Good point about the good corporate job in the future.

Right now, I am so torn on what I want to do. I really need the money of the nanny job but I need the experience of a corporate job.

I am shifting a bit on the idea of the whole corporate job. I feel that as a female, there still is a bit of prejudice against female CEOs and bosses. Even if I became an amazing business woman, I'm not sure if I can climb to the absolute top.

I am great at my ballet teaching job and I am good at being a nanny. I wanted to go into the corporate job because of the money, but I am finding that money isn't the most important thing in the world.

I really enjoy being a ballet teacher and I would have to give that up if I got a 9-5 corporate job.

I am really hitting a fork in the road, but I guess that is normal for someone who is 22. I am super excited about this new chapter in my life, but it is scary at the same time!
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 AM
Are you interested in the corporate world? Ok, it's huge but in general? What type of jobs/companies are you interested in working for? I think you need to get a bit more of an idea than just a "corporate job" especially when you're making a big decision such as this.

I'm not saying it's going to be impossible to switch from nannying to something different, but the competition is huuuge right now.

Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that yes, money is one of the reasons I study business instead of something fun like religious studies, teaching or whatnot, but I do enjoy it, especially the higher level strategy courses I've taken and it's something that I definitely can see myself working with.

I see your point about the glass ceiling, and it applies to me and all other women as well. I'm not aiming to be the CEO of a MNC though, but I know it will stiff affect me. One of the reasons I'm so very involved and interested in feminism.
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-22 11:45:16
I live in Silicon Valley where there are a bunch of Fortune 500 companies. I would have wanted to work for something like Yahoo, Adobe, Google etc.
My dream was to be making at least six figures in a year. After talking to several friends in these companies, they are easily working 75 hour weeks! Their whole life is the company and they don't have any time for their families or a social life.

Sure I loved my higher management classes and my supply chain classes, but do I want to do that for 75 hours a week?!

Sure the money is nice, but would a woman like me even survive in a cut throat world filled with men? I know several female friends who work at these companies, but there seems to be a bit of bias against them.

I am thinking that maybe I want to work in a small family business or a independent store. I really value family run businesses and what they are doing for the economy. Do I really need to be a career woman at top name companies to be valuable to society? I am starting to change my view on that a bit.

As a business student, I feel like a failure for NOT working in these businesses like a bunch of my friends, but is a 75 hour work week with no time for pleasure worth it? That's kind of going through my head right now.

Maybe I can work part time at a small independent store, then teach ballet, then still be able to dance for a NFL team. I can't see myself having 75 hour weeks and still dancing professionally.
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:11 PM
Fair point. It's why I haven't gone into investment banking or the big counsultancies.
I still remember when I was at a company presentation, I think it was Goldman Sachs, and one of the people who worked in research said that she "only worked from 8-8"...
Truly terrifying compnay cultures.
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 PM
^ that really is a lot of the company culture here. It seems that in order to REALLY succeed to the top, you have to sign over your first born to the company.

I really thought that was the road I wanted to take when I first started college, but I am finding out that I really enjoy other aspects of life too. I like being able to come home to my Bf and have a conversation, I like being able to workout each day, spend time with my neighbors etc.

My friend at google literally sleeps at the office ( they have a room of beds for employees) and she's home maybe 3 days out of the week.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 06:24 PM
For your area I think your price seems about normal.

For this area, you might get that for a full 8 hour day of being a nanny LOL (that's $25 for the entire day, not per hour)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 09:01 PM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

I live in Silicon Valley where there are a bunch of Fortune 500 companies. I would have wanted to work for something like Yahoo, Adobe, Google etc.
My dream was to be making at least six figures in a year. After talking to several friends in these companies, they are easily working 75 hour weeks! Their whole life is the company and they don't have any time for their families or a social life.

Sure I loved my higher management classes and my supply chain classes, but do I want to do that for 75 hours a week?!

Sure the money is nice, but would a woman like me even survive in a cut throat world filled with men? I know several female friends who work at these companies, but there seems to be a bit of bias against them.

I am thinking that maybe I want to work in a small family business or a independent store. I really value family run businesses and what they are doing for the economy. Do I really need to be a career woman at top name companies to be valuable to society? I am starting to change my view on that a bit.

As a business student, I feel like a failure for NOT working in these businesses like a bunch of my friends, but is a 75 hour work week with no time for pleasure worth it? That's kind of going through my head right now.

Maybe I can work part time at a small independent store, then teach ballet, then still be able to dance for a NFL team. I can't see myself having 75 hour weeks and still dancing professionally.

Here is a list of female CEOs I found: en.wikipedia.org . . .

As far as yahoo......They have a woman CEO: en.wikipedia.org . . .
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 09:23 PM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

Sure the money is nice, but would a woman like me even survive in a cut throat world filled with men?
Erm, women are kinda taking over the business side of these tech businesses. I think the key words in your statement are women LIKE YOU. If you go into a Silicon Valley business as an entry-level college grad and you expect to have tons of free time to socialize, hang out with your boyfriend, see your neighbors... then no, YOU will not survive. It has nothing to do with you being female. It's your unrealistic expectations of what it takes to be successful in the Fortunate 500 company and make over $100,000.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-25 00:32:21
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-04-25 00:42:31 Spelled check. Typed that on my phone
^ Thats exactly by what I meant like a woman like me. I enjoy my dance jobs and having a social life. According to my close friends who work for Google, if they want to take some time for family related stuff, the guys tend to look down on that.
If a guy does it, there isn't much of a fuss. There IS a double standard there, and I am not sure if I am the type of person who can handle that. The guys get away with a lot more then females do according to my friends. The guys go golfing, it is considered part of business. If a woman decides to go to a spa, they don't consider that part of business.
It honestly is a different playing field and I know this based on women who get the worse end of the stick. A woman seems to be judged more harshy for their mistakes then one of the boys.

You can replace the word "woman" with someone who values relationships, a creative type,etc.
"Can a creative person who like social time survive in a cut throat business world"? I guess I just strongly identified with being a woman.

I am the type of person( woman in my case) where I value outside relationships and I want to further my dance career. These jobs don't seem like they have much flexability in terms of taking time off etc.

I honestly thought money was the main motive in my life, but recently that thought process has changed. I like staying home and keeping house. I enjoy socializing with my neighbors on my morning jog. I enjoy volunteering my time. I enjoy working part time in the evenings as a dance teacher, because I feel like I change the lives of young students. I enjoy having the flexibility to audition for dance teams and attend dance practices.
I don't want to be constrained to a 70 hour work week in an office. I feel this way now, but I am not sure how I will feel in 5-10 years. I just don't want to screw myself over for 10 years down the line.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed