Forum: General / Homework Help

Homework Help
see any problems in this spanish essay?
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9967, member since Sat Aug 03, 2002
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 08:03 AM

8 Replies to see any problems in this spanish essay?

re: see any problems in this spanish essay?
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:39 AM
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 AM
^Agree with all those. The title should also be "El derecho a..." instead of "El derecho para". Also, what's the title meant to be in English? "El Derecho (o Mal) Para Portar Armas" translates to "The right (or bad) for carry arms," but somehow I doubt you meant that, hah. It's mostly the "mal" part that's confusing to me--what do you mean by "mal" there?
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9967, member since Sat Aug 03, 2002
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:23 AM
I wanted the title to say The Right (Or Wrong) To Bear Arms, I wasn't sure about the Mal part either, but when I looked it up on wordreference.com, it basically gave a bunch of uses for the word "mal" and "wrong" was one of them ... any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated .. on top of the ones you already gave! Thanks very much for reading my essay and helping me out! This is my last Spanish essay for my last week of my last semester of college, and I really need a good grade!

peace out
sh'naynay
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:27 AM
Oh just one question ... when you say that it should be "prohibito del uso" instead of "el uso"... should it also be "controlar del uso", etc? Would it always be del instead of el?

peace out
sh'naynay
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 08:56 PM
I know derecho means right as in directions, but are you sure it also means right as in correct or like constitutional rights? Something to look into.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 PM
^^No because in the sentence I mentioned you're saying "prohibited from the use of arms" (right?) whereas the other case you're saying controlling the use/ eliminating the right and there's no "from" in there... Does that make sense?
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 08:13 PM
^^Tunie, in Spanish, "derecho" means both "right" as in directions and "right" as in a constitutional or civil right. ("Right" as in "correct" is "tener razón.")

Shnaynay, I don't know if the title will translate well into Spanish. Because the word for "correct" and "constitutional right" is the same in English, the phrase "right (or wrong)" works as word play. But in Spanish, the words are different, so it doesn't translate the same way. I do like the clever title, but I think it might be better to pick something else. :?
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 09:14 PM
^ Thank you! We never really covered that in any of my classes, and I know sometimes (a lot of the time actually lol), there is a word in English that has multiple meanings, but in Spanish, there is a separate word for each meaning.... if that makes any sense. I've gotten points taken off for stuff like that.

ReplySendWatch