Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Can I nap after a workout?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:49 PM

So , I took the plunge and signed up for morning boot camps at 5:45. That is SUCH an ungodly hour to be awake, and I don't technically need to be out of bed until 10:30 am. I have no issues sleeping after working out.

Can I come back and sleep for an extra 3 hours after my workout? I will try to get 8 hours if sleep the night before, but in reality I can see only getting 6 hours of sleep with my work schedule.

Can I break up my sleep in 6 hours and 3 hour patterns? Any other tips for ungodly hour bootcamps? I can't eat early in the morning. How do you guys deal with per workout eating that early in the morning?

8 Replies to Can I nap after a workout?

re: Can I nap after a workout?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 AM
I do that all the time. Seriously, for years, I've done.
By xBallet_babex
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:54 AM
I think it depends on you and how you feel when you get broken up sleep. I never feel as good if I get interrupted sleep. I just don't feel as rested and then I have a hard time getting motivated to do anything. It also seems like it takes my muscles longer to get over soreness and fatigue if I'm not sleeping well. Naps mess with my sleep schedule at night, so I generally don't take them unless I'm really tired and I try to keep them short. Other people don't have these problems so if you can get away with it without negative consequences, why not? If it were me, I would do things differently because I know how I am, so you'll have to make a judgement call based on how you feel.

Do you have to eat before your workout? If it's that early, I probably wouldn't or I would just eat something really small and light. I never eat before a workout because I get horrible side aches.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 AM
I don't see a problem with it as long as your body adjusts well. I have done the same thing before, as long as I get back in bed before like 8am, I can usually sleep for a few more hours. I used to do a kickboxing class at 6am, I don't know what I was thinking, and I would often take a shower and a nap afterwards. I don't like to eat really early either, but I found that I could get a protein shake down pretty easily.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:37 PM
Napping is one of THE best things you can do easily to improve your health. When you sleep, your body releases hormones that combat cortisol (the nasty stress hormone) which means your stress levels reduce, your body processed food better, your memory and alertness goes up. Napping is excellent for you and I need to learn to nap more when my body tells me it needs sleep.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 04:34 PM
I always go back to sleep if I do an early morning workout and don't have anywhere to be for another 3 hours. I DO usually do an extra good stretch right after class and then stretch a bit more after waking up.

I struggle with the eating before early morning workouts too (I do a boot camp style class too). I usually eat a banana when my alarm goes off and drink a decent amount of water at that time too (otherwise I get really bad dry mouth when I start class). I don't like to work out on a full stomach (does anyone?) so a banana or granola bar (even though they make me super thirsty!!!!) is about the best I can do at that hour.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 09:52 PM
I used to do that all the time in high school although I didn't have time to nap so long in the morning. But I loved doing that! When I felt like I was dying in a class, having a nice nap to look forward to was awesome :)

About eating, I would have a cup of green tea and either a small greek yogurt or a piece of fruit. The one time I didn't eat anything before I ended up getting dizzy and throwing up afterward so I always eat haha :P

I don't do the super early classes anymore so I don't do the going back to sleep thing, but when I work out before class, I still do fruit and tea before and then a big breakfast when I come back.
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:43 AM
I usually collapse into bed after rehearsal, and it always makes me feel great. I can't imagine it being bad for you.
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 AM
You definitely can nap after working out! I do a 5 am boot camp and will often nap afterwards. I also do not eat before I work out, especially not an intense boot camp workout. (I will either be nauseated the whole time or will actually throw up.) If you need to eat before you work out, have something small as others have suggested.

Even if you have a small something or other before you go, definitely still eat right after. Even if I take a nap after my workout, I will eat before I go back to sleep. Try to have something will a good amount of protein, of course, to help your muscles repair.

ReplySendWatch