Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
How to approach Synagogues, Mosques, Temples
By shmcdona Comments: 857, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 09:43 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to approach the various religious institutions about my daughter and I going to experience and gain knowledge of their religion. She is asking a lot of questions and I want to expose her to different faiths. We, my husband and I, are not religious but want her to experience different faiths. Can I just contact the Mosque or Synagogue or Temple and ask if we can come to a service? Would that be considered rude? Any thoughts?

5 Replies to How to approach Synagogues, Mosques, Temples

re: How to approach Synagogues, Mosques, Temples
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 09:59 PM
I can only speak for the synagogue. If you call the office during the week and tell them you'll be visiting, you will be welcomed with open arms. You might even be able to arrange a meeting with the Rabbi to answer any specific questions you may have.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 PM
I remember in 8th grade going to a Mosque as part of my world religions class at my Catholic school. They were very welcoming and we go to sit through a service and then ask questions. It was great!

I would call during the week and let them know that you are interested in attending a service and ask if they have an rules etc. I know that when we went the girls were asked to not wear shorts and a few other things and we had to wear something covering our heads.

I would just call and see what they say.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 AM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-04-22 10:12:57 typo
I would call during the week and let them know that you are interested in attending a service

I would consider this the best approach for visiting any religious institution. I know of no exceptions.
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 PM
I can speak for a visiting the mosque.

Call during the week, and let them know you'd like to attend a service. The typical service is Jummah, which is on Friday afternoon. during the summer would obviously be the best time to do so, since she is school aged.

Just some of my personal tips for attending a mosque: make sure you have an opaque scarf for each of you to cover your hair with, the best attire for a mosque is a maxi dress/long skirt with a cardigan, that way everything is covered, tight fitting clothing is frowned upon, so loose is the best way to go. Most women wear something called an abaya, which is basically just a long sleeved dress that goes down to the feet, or the floor. Also, there are no shoes allowed inside the prayer area, so I recommend wearing a pair of shoes that's easy to get in and out of.

The other women may or may not greet you with Asalaamu Alaikum, if when they do, the proper response is Wa Alaikum Asalaam.
By teenydanseur Comments: 513, member since Mon Nov 23, 2009
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 PM
I think religion gets portrayed in the media as being very exclusive, but ALL religions (that I can think of) are big on trying to figure out how to get more people in the door. The whole idea of most religions is that you spread the word. Call during the week and expect to be welcomed with open arms, regardless of religion. Not rude at all, and how cool for your daughter to see different takes on the idea of God.

ReplySendWatch