Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Hungry all. the. time.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 PM
Edited by djchara (219250) on 2013-04-23 22:20:16

So for the last few weeks I've been noticing more and more that I am hungry what seems like all the time. Even sometimes when my stomach is full I still sometimes feel the hungry feeling if that makes sense. And when it goes away, it's usually back an hour or two after I eat, even a big meal.

I don't track calories really, but I would guess I probably eat between 2000 and 2400 any given day. Not trying to lose weight. I eat a pretty huge amount of food but it's mostly whole/ healthy/ not very calorie-dense stuff. When I googled, I found it can be because I'm not drinking enough water, but I drink at least 80 oz. a day easily so I'm not sure it's that.

Exercise-wise I run about 20 miles a week, plus elliptical cross-training 2x/week and walking around campus which is probably 2 miles a day.

Do I just need to eat more? I just did a whole bunch of online calorie calculators and got a pretty wide range of numbers and I'm not sure which one to follow. I also realllllly hate counting calories because I have a bad history with that (although counting them to try and eat more would probably be less of an issue than trying to restrict). Any other ideas?

7 Replies to Hungry all. the. time.

re: Hungry all. the. time.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 PM
It is probably too hard to say. It could be what you are eating or it could be something else. How long has this been going on? Are you more tired lately as well? My hormones make me hungry sometimes right before I get my period. Also, if your blood sugar is low you might feel hungry. Think about tracking what you eat and your symptoms. If it doesn't get better and you can't sense a trend, you might want to see a doctor.
By Spiorad
On Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 PM
Are you getting enough protein in your diet? I know when I am lacking in protein I get REALLY hungry very quickly.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:15 AM
I agree, protein and good fats are the way forward! How do you manage your food intake around exercise? After you run, try to make sure you get some protein to help with recovery - depending on how far you run at a time, chocolate milk can be a really good recovery choice.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I feel like it's been happening for a while but I really have noticed it the past few weeks. I guess it makes sense though- I never really thought about it but I've been increasing the amount that I run per week a little at a time from the beginning of the year and I'm eating about the same as I did at the beginning of the year. I'm definitely not more tired though! I have had so much energy lately too! Even on days that I've had a hard workout already I still sometimes have that feeling where I could happily go for a run, and I have to make myself take days off. I don't want to overdo it or increase my mileage too much week to week because slow and steady increase has worked well so far, but energy-level wise I could happily be running a lot more. It's awesome to not be tired but it's kind of weird, to the point where sometimes it'll be midnight and I can't fall asleep and I just want to run, haha.

Maybe I should keep track of protein for a few days. I think I eat a fair amount but like with the calories, I don't specifically keep track and the info I've found about how much I need is all over the place. I should make more of an effort to have protein after working out though. Like, I know it's a good idea but I don't always do that specifically so I should start paying more attention to it.

Thanks again!!
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 PM
To calculate how much you need to eat each day, I really recommend using a TDEE calculator. It will take into account your gender, age, height, weight, and how much you exercise each week. I use this one: iifym.com . . . I really like it because you can stop at just how many calories to eat, or break it down into what your macro levels should be, which would help give you an idea of at least how much protein you're aiming to consume each day. It's also not just for weight loss (which some TDEE calculators are) so if gives you lots of different options.

I know counting calories is a pain but it could help you just to know how much more you can eat each day to keep you from feeling hungry.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:58 PM
I don't track calories really, but I would guess I probably eat between 2000 and 2400

Track them. Underweight people always say, "I eat sooooo much I never gain weight!" and then it turns out they eat under their TDEE and overweight people are always saying, "I don't really eat that much, though." yet, they are overweight and must eat over their TDEE (yes, VERY few people have conditions that prove otherwise.)

Track your eating and see how it compares to your TDEE. :)
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 08:23 PM
Well according to that my TDEE is 2542 so even if I eat the high end of my estimate I'm under that. I'm gonna suck it up and keep track then haha. Thanks again for the info!

ReplySendWatch