Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe Shoe Help
By KaydeeJayde
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:59 AM

Hello!

I was just wondering if I could get a bit of advice from the more experienced members here.

I think I posted a thread a little while ago on here just after I got fitted for demi-pointe shoes. The fitter told me something about a disappearing heel, which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: When I flex my foot, my heel is pretty normal, but when I point my foot, it's kind of like my heel disappears under my foot. I'll try and post photos soon, but I need to salute first.

The problem that this presents is that with all of the pointes I tried in the store, when I was on flat, they were perfect, but when I was en pointe, they bagged at the heel like crazy. I'm currently in a pair of Bloch Balance Europeans in a size 7XXX I think. I tried the 6.5 and they were way too tight on flat, but I think if I have to get the BE's next time, I'll go with the 6.5 because I didn't realise how much the satin would give once the shoes break in.

I like the way that the shoes are breaking in, and I feel quite secure in them, for the most part, and like that they have a little padding in the end in-built, however, does anyone have any shoe suggestions for me for the next pair I get? I don't think the Blochs that I have now are the shoe for me, but I'm not sure where to go next. I know it's hard to tell without seeing photos of my feet, but any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, guys :)

4 Replies to Pointe Shoe Help

re: Pointe Shoe Help
By balletbones
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 PM
STORY OF MY LIFE. Unfortunately having a tiny heel makes finding a pointe shoe that fits extremely difficult. I'm currently in Balance Europeans also, but they are a too wide really. I have the added bonus of square toes that are compressible, just to make it an extra mission. In my experience shoes that say they taper towards the heel just don't. You just need to play with as many shoes that might fit as you can in a fitting. I'm currently looking at Grishko fouettes, they are much smoother around the heel than the balance europeans. Waiting for my size in the shank I need to come in though, so unfortunately I can't report what they are like to dance in yet. But they do feel much more supportive.
By KaydeeJayde
On Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 AM
Aw man, thank you so much for the reply. I was thinking, it'd be nice if they made a shoe with a stretchy fabric at the heel, that'd be nice, haha! I guess I'll have to look at just trying more and more to see what works for me. Thanks again!
By PrimaB193
On Sun Apr 28, 2013 05:00 AM
If you tack your elastic on either side at the inside back of the shoe, behind your ankle, almost touching each other you will eliminate some of that bunching. It will pull it some when you go up. You should try a shoe like a Freed, Grishko or Russian that has a narrow lower line...that could help too. I remember they had heel savers for those with very narrow feet. Good luck!
By KaydeeJayde
On Sun Apr 28, 2013 06:16 AM
Oooh, that would help, wouldn't it? I'm going to try that, thank you for the elastic suggestion.

Are those shoes okay for wide metatarsals, but narrow heels? I'll try those out next time I'm fitted!

Thank you again!

ReplySendWatch