Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

I can't seem to get used to contacts
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:16 PM

I got contacts a week ago, and I have been wearing them daily since, but my eyes just can't seem to adjust to them. I can constantly feel them in my eyes, and they rotate all the time which in turns makes things blurry since I have astigmatism. I'm going back tomorrow to get them checked, and hopefully get a new type of contacts. But in the meantime, any tips to get used to them?

24 Replies to I can't seem to get used to contacts

re: I can't seem to get used to contacts
By teenydanseur
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:26 PM
It takes awhile to get used to contacts normally, and the astigmatism may be making that process more difficult. See what your eye doctor says (bring up all the concerns you mentioned here) but outside of that I can't say there's really a trick to getting used to them outside of time and just trying not to think about them. You could try contact specific eye drops, but it doesn't sound like your eyes are feeling dry?
By TuniePremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:30 PM
When I got contacts, I was only supposed to wear them for one hour the first day, then add an hour each day. Then I was only supposed to wear them for a maximum of eight hours a day for the first month or so. Did your eye doctor have you do this?

The contacts didn't last very long, I gave them up after a month or so. I just really did not like them, and I really don't mind my glasses at all. They definitely aren't for everybody, and that's okay.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:36 PM
My eyes are drier in the contacts than they ever have been without. I've tried drops, and while they help to some extent, they obviously don't change the rotation and general discomfort.

I was given the following wearing schedule:

Day 1: Up to 4 hours
Day 2: Up to 6 hours
Day 3: Up to 8 hours
Day 4: Up to 10 hours
Day 5: Up to 12 hours

I'm on Day 8 and I still can't get more than 6 hours even though I've been wearing them every single day.

I hate glasses, and am determined to find contacts that work for me.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:39 PM
The first year I suffered thriugh bad contacts thinking they were supposed to be uncomfortable. If I closed my eyes for a nap they wpuld hurt so bad I would wake up ( not recommending you ever sleep on contacts)

They tried a different size and it solved my issue. Contacts feel a bit weird at first but they shouldn't be painful like mine were.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:47 PM
I think I'm over the weirdness of the feel, and to be honest, they're just straight up uncomfortable.
By TuniePremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:57 PM
Well it sounds like you are taking the best possible step - visiting your eye doctor to have them checked and try a different kind. Hopefully that will help.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 02:06 PM
You shouldn't be able to feel them. Go back and get re-fitted.

Mine only get dry or uncomfortable when I'm going Bikram yoga, it's 105'F and sometimes humid (I can't wear my glasses because they would fall off and I can't go with out because my vision is so bad). Otherwise I'm go to go for 8 or more hours.

Mine are Acuvue Oasys. I'll be going to the eye doctor in a few weeks for a new prescription and to order more, I may or may not get the same kind.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 02:42 PM
Daily disposables.... I'm telling you try them.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 03:26 PM
^ I would love to, but they are so much more expensive...literally twice over a year as regular contacts! Even with my massively awesome bargain hunting skills.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 03:54 PM
Again, it takes time to adjust. A week is not time!

Try a different brand. They vary a ton in terms of comfort. My color contacts are quite uncomfortable and hard to see in, but my regular ones I don't even notice.

Also, are you sure you're putting them in the right way. Contacts DO have a right side and an inside-out side. If you have them in backwards, theyre going to bother the hell out of you.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 04:01 PM
Edited by KeepOnSingin (116683) on 2013-04-25 16:10:26
In contact time, a week is time. That's why they have you trial lenses for a week before your prescription is validated and you can go out and buy lenses. If you look all over online, it says most people get used to contacts in 1-2 weeks.

Oh I'm absolutely positive I've got them in the right way. I put one in inside out once, and it was not just uncomfortable, but also PAINFUL until I took it out. I could barely even open my eye.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 04:18 PM
She's not saying it takes a week to adjust to a new type of contacts, but that it takes more than a week to adjust when you first start wearing contacts. My roommate got contacts a month ago and still has problems adjusting to having something in her eye from time to time. I've been wearing contacts off and on (mostly on) for over 12 years and sometimes I can feel them or they rotate and go blurry from my astigmatism and I just have to move it around a little bit.

If they are rotating a lot and giving you major problems then this might not be the right lens for your eyes. You only have a day before you go find out whether you need a different lens or not and if not you'll be able to get some good advice from a doctor about your concerns...don't really know what tips to give. Wear glasses for a day?
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 04:21 PM
I'm saying if you read online stuff, you'll find things like "most people adjust to wearing contacts within 1-2 weeks" in reference to first time contact wearers. I'm really not trying to argue here, just stating facts.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 04:40 PM
On the websites I've looked at they all say it varies from person to person but for soft lenses it usually takes 1-2 weeks on average. You've had them the minimum of that times and that is an average, meaning it is not the same for everyone.

You're talking to people who wear contacts and who know people who wear contacts. The majority of my friends and family wear them, it is not abnormal to not be adjusted to how it feels having a contact in your eyeball after a week.

However, if it is rotating all day long then that is probably a problem with the fitting of the contact and should be discussed with your doctor. There is nothing we can do to help you with the discomfort of that.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 05:52 PM
I think the lenses I have just aren't right for me. I can put them in and take them out just fine and all that, but the constant movement of them is driving me batty, as is the dryness.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 05:55 PM
Great, then go ask your doctor about it.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:00 PM
I never had issues with contacts for like the first 10 years wearing them, my doctor always seemed to get the right ones or something, and I don't think it took me more than a day to adjust. Then I moved and changed doctors and my new doctor couldn't get me the contacts I was using, so he gave me Acuvue 2. I stupidly didn't think it would be a big deal, they felt a little different but I ordered a years worth anyway thinking they would be fine. They weren't. While there was no pain or discomfort, sometimes when I would blink they would slide around just a tiny bit. It was annoying. I finally got another new doctor who asked me why I was wearing Acuvue 2, because they weren't the best for me and he hears that people say they are uncomfortable. I was like WHAT?!?! I was so happy that he said something, because I was starting to think I was crazy. My new doctor put me in Air Optix and they are wonderful. I can tell that they are thinner and they don't dry out or move around. I won't ever want to change.

Try another brand/size. Call your doctor now.
re: I can't seem to get used to contacts (karma: 2)
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:22 PM
Seriously, why are you fighting with me? I've been wearing contacts for 12 years, I think I know a thing or two about them. As I said in another post of yours on the subject matter, it took me nearly a solid YEAR to fully adjust to having contacts in my eyes. Your eyes are not made to have PLASTIC in them! Jeez, you are so difficult about every damn thing. Go to the doctor, switch the brand (that's why they gave you TRIALS), if those don't work, switch again, and if you still don't have luck, go back to your glasses. It really isn't rocket science. I'd hate to be around you when you actually have an important decision to make and have to make it on your own.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:34 PM
SaraTheGrouch wrote:

Seriously, why are you fighting with me? I've been wearing contacts for 12 years, I think I know a thing or two about them. As I said in another post of yours on the subject matter, it took me nearly a solid YEAR to fully adjust to having contacts in my eyes. Your eyes are not made to have PLASTIC in them! Jeez, you are so difficult about every damn thing. Go to the doctor, switch the brand (that's why they gave you TRIALS), if those don't work, switch again, and if you still don't have luck, go back to your glasses. It really isn't rocket science. I'd hate to be around you when you actually have an important decision to make and have to make it on your own.

What the hell is your problem? 1) I'm not fighting. 2) If you don't like me/my posts, don't read or respond to them.

And seriously, if you want to help, then answer my question. THAT'S not rocket science.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:41 PM
Just wear your glasses until you get to the doctor and have explain to him everything you told us.
Contacts can be uncomfortable because of wrong fit, or they can be uncomfortable because your eyes aren't used to them

None of us can really tell you which it is until you go to the doc. Good luck with that.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:45 PM
If you aren't wearing them every day the dailies are ideal.

I found the toric lenses for astigmatism were very floaty inchilly as a my eyes.

There was another brand that worked well for me but all I can remember is it was pro something and the package was yellow with blue writing. It had a very high water content.

I know in a day if a brand works for me but i wore them for 20 years.

I know the toric lenses are weighted and that can make them a bit different.

The dailies are so thin that it makes a huge difference. Like i said its worth it if you dont wear them everyday. With disposables you get 30 days not 30 wears so you still have to toss them at the end kf the month even if you dont wear them
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:46 PM
KeepOnSingin wrote:

^ I would love to, but they are so much more expensive...literally twice over a year as regular contacts! Even with my massively awesome bargain hunting skills.

My optometrist has always been able to get me a coupon or a rebate for the daily disposables. He's just a one guy small business not part of a big chain or anything. Ask if they have anything like yet when you go (for whatever brand you end up settling on). You probably can't find rebates yourself on the internet (and usually I have to pay and then send it in and get some money back. I buy a year's worth at a time) since they are sent straight to the optometrist. Daily disposables are the only type of contact I have ever used and I've never experienced this spinning you are describing. I would say the biggest issue I've had with them is it can be fairly easy to rip them when you take them out and that really hurts. It happens to me every few months. I too balked at the price of them when I knew others were less expensive but my eye doctor highly recommended that these were best for preventing infection and stuff. I haven't had any dryness issues either. Sometimes it's worth paying more for things.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 07:00 PM
I used to be an occasional glasses wearer, but have turned into the all day everyday type.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 07:07 PM
Your question is how do you get used to them, right?

Well, the answer is simple. You don't. If they are moving around that frequently then they aren't fitting right so you go back to the doctor and try a different lens. Wear glasses until the appointment.

Same advice Sara gave...to try a different brand. Which you already seemed to know.

As for when you get new lenses, it's still going to be normal to be able to feel them even if they fit properly. It's just something you have to get used to and over time you won't realize they are there any more...for the most part. I've had mine in for 12 hours so I can definitely feel them. Keep your eyes hydrated with drops throughout the day, make sure they're drops for contacts. That's all you really can do.

ReplySendWatch