Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
Ne****ver contact this company even though Norton calls the sight safe.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu May 02, 2013 06:57 AM

The company is called "Download Provider". I found out too late that Google is loaded with complaints on that company.

I got there by attempting to download a video from another sight, which brought up a box telling me that I had to log in or register.

So I cancelled the box and sought to register for a temporary membership - purportedly $1.99 with card autodebit monthly thereafter unless cancelled - beginning in two days!.

This was bad enough, but the site promptly installed several programs on my computer, none of which had anything to do with downloading the intended video, despite their screen messages. Norton called these programs safe, but delete them anyway. None are necessary.

The site then showed no download links - only links to Hetflix, Hula, and several other commercial download sites, which would have required further subscriptions.

An attempt to cancel my membership to Download Provider, using the site's own procedure, availed me naught. I had to cancel my credit card.

2 Replies to Ne****ver contact this company even though Norton calls the sight safe.

re: Ne****ver contact this company even though Norton calls the sight safe.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu May 02, 2013 07:13 AM
I gauge that any program that can let you illegally download videos isn't going to be on the up and up. You might want to run a malware program because you probably inadvertently downloaded keyloggers and other spyware. I'd be more worried about that than a virus.
re: Ne****ver contact this company even though Norton calls the sight safe.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu May 02, 2013 07:30 AM
Thank you for the warning.

Incidentally, I was not contemplating anything illegal.

ReplySendWatch