Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
How to cut a large shirt into this kind of tank top?
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Thu May 02, 2013 03:39 PM

So, i have a large crew neck band tee shirt I bought from hot topic, and it's "slim fit" so, it's not very baggy, though it is really stretchy. I'd love to have it look like the pic above, but not as deep in the back and armholes... does anyone know of a good video or written tutorial on how to do this? I've searched youtube and there are tons of results but not for this style!

tips? advice? I want to wear it for a concert in about a week!
Thanks!

4 Replies to How to cut a large shirt into this kind of tank top?

re: How to cut a large shirt into this kind of tank top?
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu May 02, 2013 04:29 PM
Honestly, if the shirt already fits, then I think you just... cut. Just go for it. Start small - take out little pieces at a time, and give yourself plenty of space around the edges. Try it on again after every single cut to see if it's doing what you want it to do. You can always cut more out, but putting it back in is much harder. ;)
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Thu May 02, 2013 06:32 PM
^What she said. If it's not a super baggy shirt, you could probably get a similar look just by cutting the appropriate shapes out.

Do you have a sewing machine or do you want to sew by hand? I've been sewing tonight so I'm all in sewing mode, haha. You could almost definitely cut the sleeves, leaving enough for an allowance to hem the openings. Probably also the back, though it'd depend on just how the shirt fits. I love HT's slim fit t-shirts as they are and I also love cutting them apart and sewing them into whatever. ;)
By cathydharris Comments: 14, member since Mon Mar 27, 2006
On Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 PM
check on pinterest. There are tons of cut-out shirts DIY
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Tue May 21, 2013 08:12 AM
Yup, you're basically gonna just cut.
First put it on, and get a general idea of how deep you want the arm/back holes to go. Like mentioned above though, you can always cut away more, but once you've taken something off you won't be able to add back.
So put on the shirt, and maybe use pieces of masking tape or something to mark about where you want the wholes to go. Not the whole outline, just about the lowest/widest points.
Fold the shirt by matching up the side seams, and pin it together like that so that you can cut both sides of the back at the same time, otherwise you'll never keep it symmetrical.
Do the arms the same too, cutting both sides at once.

ReplySendWatch