Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Patent urachus
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu May 02, 2013 09:18 PM

Zachary is seeing a pediatric urologist on Tuesday to diagnose if he has patent urachus. For the non-medical people, it's a birth defect, where there is an open tube between his bladder and his belly button.

Yes, my kid may be peeing out his belly button.

It isn't horrible, but his belly button hasn't dried up yet, and there is still discharge every day at 12 weeks. On my third visit to the doctor about this, I finally got one to say "Yeah, that's not quite right."

If it is a patent urachus, he'll have to have surgery at some point, likely about 6 months.

I'm keeping to the positive side right now, but we'll see how things look after our appointment on Tuesday.

8 Replies to Patent urachus

re: Patent urachus
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu May 02, 2013 09:32 PM
I have no knowledge or advice on this condition, but I wish you all the best and hope he gets proper treatment, soon.

Hugs, kk~
By dancemomtoo Comments: 2643, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 PM
Altho no surgery is routine when its your child , it seems like this corrective procedure is pretty well established. Hopefully he will be able to avoid surgery, but if he has it think what a mortifying story you can threaten him with when he is in middle school and gets too sassy.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Fri May 03, 2013 05:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear that surgery is a possibility. This is the first time I've heard of this. Please keep us updated! I hope for the best.

And maybe this is just me, but I don't think that threatening to mortify a child in the future is funny or helpful at all.
I know the comment was made innocently but I can't be the only one this doesn't sit well with?
Anyway we are all hoping for the best for little Zachary! And hope things go as easy and as stress free as possible! *hug*
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri May 03, 2013 06:51 AM
Same this is the first time I have ever heard of this...

Fingers crosses they figure out what is going on.
By ShandaLeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2645, member since Sat Nov 30, 2002
On Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 AM
I have never heard of this either. Hopefully they figure out what's up. Keep us updated! Best of luck!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Wed May 08, 2013 09:42 PM
We had the appointment, and it was rather unsatisfying. It started with an ultrasound, which found no connection between the bladder and belly button or cyst, which is good.
However, the urologist says that the symptoms can't really be caused by anything else, so there is either a very small connection, or that tube, which is supposed to collapse and scar over is closed at one end, but still open on the other.

So, we're in a waiting game. So long as there is no sign of infection, we go back to the urologist when Zachary is 6 months old, and they would do surgery at that point. Until then, I just have to do more laundry, keep an eye on things, and just wait.

The tough thing is that while he's not in any discomfort, the skin on the edge of his belly button is very fragile. The ultrasound tech wiped off the goo with a towel that was rough, and it totally irritated the skin and made some areas raw. It's looking better today with using some anti-biotic ointment on it, so I think I just need to periodically treat the area. It makes sense though- it's always slightly damp, and being rubbed by clothing or the edge of his diaper.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Sat May 11, 2013 02:54 AM
Oh, I'm sorry that you didn't get definite answers :( Hopefully something shows up at 6 months.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat May 11, 2013 09:49 AM
Poor little guy. :( You'll have to keep a very sharp eye on that area, mom. Stay vigilant.

Hugs, kk~

ReplySendWatch