Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

What makes a dancer not able to do pointe?
By Irish4life
On Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 AM

My class is being evaluated for starting pointe work in the fall, and my teacher told us that some people just can't do pointe. Is this due to foot structure/lack of arch/toe length? Or is it for some other reason that some dancers are never allowed en pointe?

5 Replies to What makes a dancer not able to do pointe?

re: What makes a dancer not able to do pointe?
By RosePremium member
On Fri May 03, 2013 03:45 PM
"are never allowed to do pointes" is never the case, because there will always be a teacher allowing all her students to go on pointes, and there will be students who will go on pointes without a teachers supervision.
Going on pointes has nothing to do with criminal, illegal actions ;).

Some teachers do not allow certain students to go on pointes and they have several reasons to do so. I can mention some here, but the list is not complete.
- lack of technique
- lack of strength in feet, legs, back
- lack of flexibility in ankle and arch joints
- lack of hardness of the bones (not full grown enough)
- lack of motivation / concentration / matureness to deal with the responsibility that comes with pointes
- some medical, mental, physical conditions can be a reason not to do pointes, but most of them are individual decided (some students with condition X can do pointes, some other students with condition X can not do pointes).
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 03, 2013 04:06 PM
It sounds from the list Rose gave that except for a very few cases, almost everyone can eventually go en pointe, with enough time, hard work and motivation.
By Irish4life
On Fri May 03, 2013 04:15 PM
Rose- Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't sure before about the limitations of pointe. It's much clearer now.

Greenpumpkin- It does seem that way, which is great to hear because being able to go en pointe has been my dream since I was five.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 03, 2013 05:15 PM
Rose wrote:

Some teachers do not allow certain students to go on pointes and they have several reasons to do so. I can mention some here, but the list is not complete.
- lack of technique
- lack of strength in feet, legs, back
- lack of flexibility in ankle and arch joints
- lack of hardness of the bones (not full grown enough)
- lack of motivation / concentration / matureness to deal with the responsibility that comes with pointes
- some medical, mental, physical conditions can be a reason not to do pointes, but most of them are individual decided (some students with condition X can do pointes, some other students with condition X can not do pointes).

I agree with this. Also, balance is key. If you can't balance on demi on one foot for a certain amount of time, it might deter you.
By Elindranythmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 04, 2013 06:22 AM
I feel like teachers say that to remind girls that they should try to be realistic with their goals, rather than just assume "because i am in ballet, i will get to dance in pointe shoes". Yes, there are legitimate reasons why some girls can't do pointe, but more often the reason is that they can't do it /yet/. If you are concerned, talk to your teacher about what she thinks you need to work on between now and then. There's a lot of stretching and strengthening that needs to happen before a girl can start pointe, and asking "what should I work on" and then working on it can help show your dedication, which can sometimes be just as important as your ability.

ReplySendWatch