Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
I Feel Sure This Number Is A Scam
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon May 06, 2013 08:18 PM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2013-05-06 20:38:36
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2013-05-06 20:40:11

We got a call today from a debt collection agency. It was the third call from the same agency. It was a robomessage from this agency that told us to call 1-800-304-8919 amd ask for John. I looked in the phone book under banking, credit, and finance to see if I could find the number. I could not find the number anywhere in the book. That was the first thing that rang alarm bells in my mind about this being some kind of scam. I googled the number to see if I could find anything. I found 1-800-304-8519. That one different number was a second alarm bell for me. There was a message board in which people warned that this is a scam, as they too had got calls from this same number and from the same person. Take that warning to heart, people.

Mind you, I just ignored the robomessage, as I always do when the caller turns out to be a robomessage. I had it on long enough to get the number, then hung up. My dad called the number not because he was falling for a scam, but just to see if he could find out what's going on. When he hung up, he said it was a wrong number. That to me was a third alarm bell.

8 Replies to I Feel Sure This Number Is A Scam

re: I Feel Sure This Number Is A Scam
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon May 06, 2013 08:49 PM
If you in fact have no reason to be called by a collection agency, ignore it. They may be preying on the unwary and try stuff like "OK we made an error, give us your social security number (or bank card number or whatever) and we'll remove you from this list. And attempt to remove your money from your account. They prey on the unsuspecting.

Jon
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue May 07, 2013 07:11 AM
The only way they can scam you is if you give them information, when they ring again, which they will, either don't answer it or pick up the phone and tell them to get lost.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue May 07, 2013 07:34 AM
Everyone I know gets these calls all the time, either a call centre monkey or a prerecorded "this is an important message, please do not hang up". If it's a real person I get "our records show that you're entitled to reclaim PPI paid on your Mastercard" - nope, don't have one. They never believe me! I tell them quite firmly that I've never had a card or loan therefore take me off your database please, which they may well do but it's sold to SO MANY companies that I'll still get calls. Sharing the scam numbers that call you only scratches the surface, really. They're usually withheld when they call me anyway and I don't tend to answer blocked numbers. Tim's dad answers the phone then places it down next to the TV. If you annoy cold callers like that they tend to take you off their database anyway.

If anyone EVER calls you and asks for information to verify your identity, tell them bollocks. I had an argument with a woman from the bank once insisting that she verify my identity by asking my full address and date of birth - um, no. YOU called ME, I have no idea that you're who you say you are whereas if you're genuine, there's a strong likelihood that the Louise picking up Louise's phone is Louise.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Tue May 07, 2013 08:16 AM
This is the first time we've ever had calls from this number, so we've never given them any personal information. Since it's always a robomessage from this number, we cannot tell them to stop calling us. We have no idea how these people could have got our phone number. I suppose though that these scam artists have ways and ways again how to get hold of your personal information. Could this be another red flag that you need to have a skype?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue May 07, 2013 08:30 AM
Companies have ways of getting your personal details - say you buy something online and have to sign up for an account with the website. It might be jeans or a dvd or whatever. If you don't make sure you've checked the box that says their "carefully selected partners" are NOT allowed to contact you, then you've not got much control over where your details are sold on to. Luckily it's a lot more controlled in Britain but I'm doing some work in the Middle East and Africa at the moment and basically your details are for sale to anyone that wants to sell you stuff. Just hang up or see if you can get your phone company to block the number. It's irritating but they can't actually DO anything if all they've got is your phone number. It isn't always so much of a "scam" as them prospecting and hoping that they hit upn somebody whose situation matches up to their target list.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue May 07, 2013 09:15 AM
Someone sold a list with your number on it. If you've given out your telephone number when buying something in a shop or applying for a store card then they keep a record of it. If the firm is then taken over, sold or just decides it wants more revenue they sell their lists.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue May 07, 2013 10:54 AM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2013-05-07 10:55:36 sp
They don't have to "get" YOUR number. They have computers that just dial blindly. They will go to an area code (or overseas equivalent) go to the three number exchange and then just dial all 10,000 four digit numbers sometime several at a time. Sometimes when you get a call and then no one is there, they likely dials a bunch of number simultaneously and answer they first one to pick up. "Answer" in this context also can mean playing a pre-recorded message.

I get them also from politicians, and advocacy groups - including some whose agendas I vigorously oppose.

Jon
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed May 08, 2013 08:06 AM
^Right. Kind of like people that spam email. They just throw together random combinations of letters, and wait to see if they hit on an active email address. You can get a phone dialer, and do the same thing. Just toss together random combinations of numbers, and wait to see if you hit a live one.

Incidentally, this is why I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize. Then I never have to get their schpeil. We have a Caller ID box where you can block numbers from even ringing in to the house, which is amazing, but it's apparently since been taken off the market.

ReplySendWatch