Popular Irish

Question about updating a 3 panel. by Snaqueb
Just wondering if anyone has ever updated a 3 panel and turned the stiff skirt into a soft skirt? ...

Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Dealing with a rude manager en>fr fr>en
By Charmed_dancer Comments: 304, member since Fri Jul 15, 2005
On Sat May 11, 2013 03:44 PM

I work in retail in a women's fashion store and work with 16 other females. We pride ourselves on the fact that we all get along extremely well and have no drama/bitching - very rare for a large group of ladies!

About a year ago, we got a new manager and at first we got along fairly well with her (some people had their issues), but, in the past three months or so, she's started being really rude/patronising to some members of staff.

- She's addresses people as "darling" or "lovey", which didn't bother us at first but now, in the workplace, it feels patronising.
- She's giving the younger members of staff a lot of hours and not much time off, and they don't feel comfortable saying No to her.
- She's made lots of mistakes with the rota, putting people in to work on days they aren't able to do
- If she momentarily forgets someone's name, she calls them "Thingy" and doesn't apologise
- She's brought up issues with some members of staff in an aggressive manner

She's never done anything aimed specifically at me which has upset me, but she's really upsetting/angering other members of staff and making the working environment very uncomfortable, which we've never experienced before. I'm not quite sure how to go about dealing with this in terms of approaching her to discuss our feelings.

Any ideas/tips on how we can bring this up with her? Thanks!

1 Replies to Dealing with a rude manager

re: Dealing with a rude manager en>fr fr>en
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Sun May 12, 2013 10:15 AM
Homestly... Doesn't sound like rudeness to me.

Sounds like she's mentally a little overworked and hastrouble keeping so many employees and their various schedules straight. You'll find this pretty much anywhere. Management types, especially middle management types, usually have alot on their plates and are trying to meet a ridiculous number of demands from all sides, at all times.

If you have a problem with being called Darling insteadof your name, go to her privately and let herknow that you would much prefer to be called by your name than a generic endearment. It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

And while you're in there, if you are uncomfortable or dissatisfied with the number of hours you are working, say so. If you know that a certain coworker would like to give or take some hours that would make up the difference, make the suggestion. Don't expect to instantly get what you want just because you asked, but if the manager doesn't know there's a issue, nothing will change.

And always check the schedule for problems. And remember it could be worse. In my line of work, I get paid piecemeal, which means I have to keep records and check them against the records the office keeps. I find mistakes in their tallies at least once a week. Mistakes - of theirs, mind - that mean I don't get paid for my work. If I want to be paid correctly, it's my responsibility to double-check things. Just likeit'syour responsibility to make sure the schedule you've been assigned is one you can actually, physically work.

ReplySendWatch