Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Members

Old smileywoman - eight months post injury
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 AM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2013-05-13 11:29:47 It's no "ho" it's "who" :P
Locked by smileywoman (141214) on 2013-12-24 17:26:47 only allowed one thread on first page, so locking this one...

Old smileywoman here. I'm rehab'g serious ankle ligament injury that occurred eight months ago. It's taken forever and I was worried that I'd never be able to dance again or go en pointe.

These pictures were taken just for fun in the studio last night.

For those of you who do not know who I am. I'm a 50+ year old ballet re-starter who has been dancing on and off for the last 11 years (before that, I danced on and off until I was 20).

24 Replies to Old smileywoman - eight months post injury

re: Old smileywoman - eight months post injury
By happychick09
On Mon May 13, 2013 08:57 PM
Love it! Thank you so much for sharing and congrats on your injury recovery!!! I can't tell you how heartwarming it is to see your posts and pictures. Due to completing my Irish dancing teaching certification I can no longer compete so both yay and boo, but I still want to dance! Your photos always remind me that a dancer never truly stops dancing. You will dance (maybe not as competitively or as frequently) because you love to dance and sharing THAT with other people is important. Thank you for always sharing and you look great! No more injuries!!! Cheers!
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 14, 2013 08:53 AM
Glad to see pictures of you bouncing back. Congrats on the recovery - I hope things will continue to heal nicely. Love your tutu!

(I really feel you, btw: Used to be only a lot on here, but serious back injury messed my life up, and yeah.. going back to ballet slowly these days. It's scary, and I can't do everything any longer, but there's no way on earth I gonna stop dancing. So: Hang on in there, and keep on working. Best wishes for further recovery!)
On Tue May 14, 2013 03:58 PM
^^Thanks for the supportive comments. I get so discouraged because it's getting harder and harder to recover from injuries and I worry that with each injury I'll NEVER be able to dance again! :( This last injury really scared me because I had no feeling in the outside of my foot for more than 6 months!! I was told after exam and MRI that it can take up to a year to recover from such a tendon/ligament injury. I thought it was an impinged nerve because of the nerve pain and inability to move without the nerve pain. Anyway, the first time I was able to do a a simple tendu with no pain I almost cried.
re: Old smileywoman - eight months post injury (karma: 1)
By OneGiantLeap
On Wed May 15, 2013 02:44 AM
smileywoman wrote:

I get so discouraged because it's getting harder and harder to recover from injuries and I worry that with each injury I'll NEVER be able to dance again!

But if you ever give up, what hope is there for the rest of us? So you're not allowed to ever stop dancing. And I know you won't anyway. ; )
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 15, 2013 06:43 PM
I thought it had been a while since you posted pictures! Wow I loooooove that first outfit! Love all the patterns and colors! I'd love to wear that as well as you.

You continue to give me hope that I may try ballet again. It's been 7 years since I stopped taking ballet. I'm 28, so there's still time, but there's no adult classes around here.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 15, 2013 07:10 PM
My smiley is not old.

Secondly you look amazing!
re: Old smileywoman - eight months post injury (karma: 1)
By hummingbird
On Wed May 15, 2013 07:31 PM
smileywoman is just amazing! Like superman, but more graceful and you don't wear you're underpants on the outside of your tights. Tutu's are way more cool!

It's lovely to see you posting pictures again.
On Sat May 18, 2013 06:16 PM
Awww you guys are so sweet.

The pictures listed here were taken in the studio today.
Today is 11 weeks before my 53rd birthday (not counting down, am I?)
By Lihuamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 24, 2013 03:48 AM
Hello
I missed your photos smileywoman. I have always said that you are an inspiration to all of us. Dancing comes from the heart, your body only shows what's in the heart. When you love dancing, it shows right away, no matter what age you are.
I am 40 now, and I have always looked up to you.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us

P.S love your attitudes!!!!
By swanilda338
On Fri May 24, 2013 06:24 AM
Such lovely pictures!!
On Fri May 24, 2013 03:42 PM
^Today working those ballet muscles before I go off to celebrate 11th wedding anniversary with Mr. smileywoman.
By SarahdncrPremium member
On Sat May 25, 2013 03:20 PM
Great to see you starting to get back into being able to do some pointework Maria, after all that time off. I am sure you must be very happy to start getting back into shape. Continued good luck!
By LeapBoy4Joy2
On Sun May 26, 2013 01:12 AM
You're beutiful!! Don't stop dancing, keep right at it if you love what you learned it's because it's what you enjoy doing!!
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:11 PM
Pics from time in studio today - 7 week countdown to my birthday (53rd)
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:18 PM
I'm going to say one sentence .
I want to grow up to be like you :) . I'm almost halfway there I'm 22.
You are truly inspirational .

:)
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 09:40 PM
It's so good to see you looking good and back on pointe to boot! I know it was so very worrisome to have had problems that might have curtailed that possibility.

I'm envious of the dance studio room! As I guessed, it looks full of light even with a mirror partially across one window and curtains on all of them -- maybe TOO much light otherwise? And the wood floor is to die for! Of course camera lenses can be deceiving but not only does it look wide enough to swing a leg in no problem but long enough to actually do a few pique turns from one end to the other.
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 09:44 AM
The studio is a nice wide rectangle with lots of light (heat) and above a garage. It's a bit cluttered with racks of wedding gowns I'm trying to sell...so I hope to have more room soon.

Yes, pique turns for sure and definitely turns right in the center (although my pirouettes are laughable).

I just got back from my 53rd b-day trip to my hometown where I met a bunch of my paternal family, took lots of architecture pics, and hung with my High School bestie. :)
By Melpomene
On Thu Aug 15, 2013 01:11 PM
Some of the photos remind me of Margot Fonteyn :) you could really resemble her.

You look lovely as usual, my dear!
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 18, 2013 08:21 PM
You know... In your last set of photos you look stronger than ever en pointe!
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:09 PM
Absolutely wonderful photos smileywoman. I am glad that you are healing from your injury.

Dancers will always dance. You are so inspirational to us all. Thanks for posting! Lovely photos as always!

Keep up the great work!
By cygnet_jd
On Thu Sep 12, 2013 08:43 AM
Some beautiful pictures there, very inspirational too, I've always danced at home but looking to step it up a gear with lessons and wondered how long I'd get dancing, clearly a long time.

Glad you healed well and can still dance like that.

JD
By dancerat47
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 03:36 PM
Thank you for all your pics and words of wisdom. You helped me to make up my mind to dance again after 20++ yrs off. I just started back on point about 2 months ago and love it! Keep up all your hard work and congrads on getting back to dancing after your injury. I hope all is going well with you and thanks again for your inspiration. Please keep the pics and posts coming.
By Coral_B_2013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 30, 2013 02:39 AM
53 years old and still en pointe! :) Good on you!!
On Sat Oct 12, 2013 06:10 PM
It's been raining for MANY DAYS and today I dashed outside in my pointes for a kick picture (by hubby).

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed