Forum: General / Ballroom / Salsa

Salsa
Trouble learning salsa
By BrentB66 Comments: 8, member since Mon Jul 16, 2012
On Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 PM

Hi. I posted something almost a year ago about my problems learning salsa (and other dances) and nothing has changed. I've now had about 30 salsa lessons and 10 of them were private, which cost hundreds of dollars. I've still been dancing about once a week and still feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. My girlfriend is very frustrated. I ask her for help and she says she can't help me, to just do it. Any advice on how long it takes before I feel like I'm ready to dance comfortably on the dance floor ?

4 Replies to Trouble learning salsa

re: Trouble learning salsa
By smartytartymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 48, member since Tue Dec 04, 2012
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:29 PM
Hello! I can't give you an amount of time, but what are you struggling in? Perhaps it is the musicality and being on the beat? Or is it the steps and patterns that you are unsure of?
On Fri Jul 05, 2013 06:50 AM
I think its memorization of the steps and patterns. Its so much to remember with where your hands and feet are supposed to be on each beat. Also, I get out on the dance floor and my mind just goes blank.
The girlfriend can't understand why I am having trouble with it because I was in college marching band for 4 years, but I told her this is different.
By kpraetsch Comments: 6, member since Tue Jan 04, 2011
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:34 AM
As a ballroom teacher myself I think it's your teacher. Your teacher maybe isn't explaining things in a concise logical order....or they keep teaching you too many steps before you master the old ones. At any rate it seems like they are not catering to the way YOU learn. I would try a different teacher for your private lessons, and of course private lessons are the best way to learn. On the other hand a teacher can't do everything for you....do you practice on your own?
On Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 AM
Thanks for your input.
Maybe I'll try a different instructor. I have had 3 different instructors for salsa, however, and I can't seem to learn from any of them.
I'd like to practice for an hour or so every day, but the girlfriend, who is an advanced salsa dancer (dancing for 14 years) will not practice with me. She doesn't have the patience and because I'm not that good, she won't dance with me. We havn't been dancing for awhile because we always argue.

ReplySendWatch