Forum: Gym / Gymnastics

Summer camps in Pittsburgh
By RobinBailey
On Wed May 15, 2013 07:03 PM

I've been doing gymnastics for a year now, and im almost level 5, and looking to continue over the summer. My gym does have a summer camp, but it is mostly for little kids (I am 14), and I know I'd feel out of place. I don't mind this during training, but there are too many games, crafts, and unrelated activities and not enough training for me to ignore how much older I am and just focus on training.

Anyways, I was looking at Camp Woodward and I wasn't sure if I would be paired with mostly younger kids and it would be awkward I'd all the kids my age were waaaaaay better. Has anyone been to this camp who could tell me abut about the activities and how much they improved?

Does anybody know of a summer camp that I could benefit from without feeling awkward and out of place? I want to get my BHS to go to level 5.

2 Replies to Summer camps in Pittsburgh

re: Summer camps in Pittsburgh
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 18, 2013 10:42 PM
I went to Woodward about 6 times or so during my gymnastics career. They do put you in goups you by level, not age, so you would be in classes with younger kids. With that said, the classes themselves are only about 3 hours a day (assuming they are structured the same, I haven't been there in 10 years). The rest of the day you choose what you want to do (extra training in open gym plus a slew of other activities). There are two open gyms a day where you can work with coaches on whatever you want. I really wouldn't let the age thing deter you. The absolute youngest that would be in your class is 7, and most parents don't send their 7 year olds to gymnastics camp for a week by themselves. I was 9 when I first went, and continued until 14. All those other activities are optional, you don't have to do arts and crafts or anything like that, I usually just concentrated on gymnastics. Girls in your cabin will be anywhere from age 10-18 (they have junior cabins for the 7-9 year olds). Now, another option is, Woodward also has a program that is just trampoline and tumbling. if the backhandspring is really what you want to focus on, you can go to classes just for that. My last two years at Woodward I did that program as my gym closed and I switched to cheerleading. The girls in that program are usually older, I don't remember any little kids to be honest, mostly high school age. You could still practice the other events during open gym if you so choose, but your structured instruction would be just trampoline and tumbling. I can't speak more highly about the time I spent at Woodward. It's like a big playground for gymnasts of all ages and skill level. I would love to go back there now and I'm 25! If you have any questions please feel free to send me a private message (PM) when you become a full member. Pennsylvania also has International Gymnastics Camp. I did a weekend clinic there once so I don't know too much about it, but it might be something to look into if they might a program for your age and experience level.
re: Summer camps in Pittsburgh
By Squekers998
On Sat Jul 06, 2013 09:41 AM
OHH gymnastics wonderful times i found some cool gymnastics camps!
grfx.cstv.com . . .

BEST ONE!!! and little expensive IGC went there 6 times LOVED IT
www.internationalgymnastics.com

ReplySendWatch