Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Need help for modern?
By huimoxxie
On Mon May 20, 2013 05:03 AM

So I go to this studio and the teacher practically ignores me.

When she is teaching us combinations, she goes it through it really fast then she makes us perform it. Every time, I mess it up and I'm practically just standing in a spot the whole performance cause I'm so lost and she doesn't even care! All her attention is either on the girls from a prestigious dance school or the senior girls.

It's getting really irritating cause I know I need a ton of help. Any tips on dealing? Or tips to keep up in modern?

5 Replies to Need help for modern?

re: Need help for modern? (karma: 1)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon May 20, 2013 05:51 AM
Have you talked to your teacher? I think your first thing to try is to talk to your teacher sometime alone--"I feel like I'm lost most of class and I'm not getting the combinations. Is there something I can do to help? Can we go over the combinations an extra time?"

Now, depending on your teacher, the outcome could be different things. Your teacher might say "Yes, of course", or she might not. But that first thing to do is to ask the person you're paying to help you learn dance.
re: Need help for modern?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 PM
^That. Plus, it seems pretty obvious you're not ready to take this class. Is there another level you can try? If you're SO lost you just stand there, the teacher can't really do anything about that. Your teacher is there primarily to improve your technique. If you stop dancing half-way through your combinations (they're not performances, btw), you're in the wrong class. That's not your teacher's fault.
By Dancewiththewind
On Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 AM
This is what my modern teacher does. Just keep in mind that it was probably really hard for your teacher to get where they are today as a dancer and your teacher wants to make the combinations to look hard because they worked hard choreographing the combination. So dont worry if you dont get it the first time. It is good not to get the combination the very first time because otherwise your teacher might be offended because they worked hard to challenge you. Your teacher might act like you arent there but your teacher does know your there and they watch you even though you think their not. A teacher cant be a teacher without students.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 PM
I agree with all the advice above and have only one thing to add. Throw yourself into the combination and make things up if you have to. Luckily modern encourages innovation and creativity. Did you at least perceive that a movement was side to side? That there was some kind of jump at a certain spot? This will give your teacher a better idea of what you have (and mostly haven't) perceived. She will know you are at least trying and it will give her a better starting point for improving on the things you would be able to do if given more instruction.

Plus if you are out there bumping into other students because you are totally lost in the combination then she will be forced to give you some help for the good of the group. I hope.

Are there other students in the same boat? Are other less-experienced dancers just standing aside or blundering around without instruction? If this is the case then you definitely need to find a different class.
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:53 AM
If these combinations are being repeated regularly try to memorize bit by bit and practice at home . Another good way to get the combinations is if she spilts you into groups then record the others on your phone (ask permission) but that way when you go home you have it there too look at . Especially if your teacher has no time to spare.
Always practice if your standing at the side . It will all eventually stick.
Believe in yourself don't say I can't !!!! You can do it :) now go enjoy ..
Also learn to copy others quickly if your stuck or ask another dancer for help before or after class.

Good luck hunny !

ReplySendWatch