Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Fun things to do for a 13 year old boy?
By GoBANANAS Comments: 363, member since Fri Jul 07, 2006
On Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 AM

I'm nannying this summer for a 13 year old boy, and 11 and 7 year old girls. The girls are incredibly easy to keep happy. We draw, do origami and other arts and crafts, and we talk about animals. We play with figurines. We watch Pokemon. They're perfectly content.

I have no idea how to interact with the boy. He's very quiet and reserved, he wants to spend hours and hours playing video and computer games, and he just generally has a mopey personality. I was the same way at that age! I totally get it. But his mom will kill me if I let him sit around all summer with headphones on staring at a screen. The only time he leaves the house during the week is to go to youth group on Wednesdays, (which he really likes) and then all the kids will have ceramics class once a week starting next month.

I've talked to his mom and she said that it will take time for him to open up, but that he probably will because he opened up a lot for a part time baby-sitter she had awhile back. In the meantime, can you think of any activities or fun things to do that a 13 year old boy would enjoy? I'm looking for things we could potentially do at home mostly, but I live with the family, we have transportation, we are in Hawaii, and I can probably get their parents to pay for any outing within reason.

(I should also note that he and his 11 year old sister REALLY resist going to the beach for some reason because that is the most obvious outing I can think of, and one I want to go on constantly. :))

Thanks!

5 Replies to Fun things to do for a 13 year old boy?

re: Fun things to do for a 13 year old boy?
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 PM
Do you have a trampoline park? Or laser tag? What about go karts?
Would he prefer cultural outings? Concerts or museums?
We all help out at the animal shelter in the summer. The little one (6) gets to play with the animals and the older 2 (11,14) get to do something that they feel good about and we always have fun!
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Fri May 24, 2013 03:58 PM
My son loves the animal shelter too. We go there frequently and walk the dogs and pet the cats. Do you have a zoo? They might have some sort of kids program.

Have you ever heard of a penny walk? You go for a walk and at every corner flip a coin. Heads is left, tails is right. Sometimes you just go around in a circle, sometimes you end up somewhere interesting.

I would imagine in Hawaii there are lots of cool hiking trails so that sort of thing might appeal to him. Riding bikes is also fun. My son liked fishing at that age.

Camping in the backyard is always fun, especially if you can have a camp fire. If you can't have a camp fire you can at least have smores. Light a votive candle. Use a tooth pick and mini marshmallow. Toast your marshmallow then top with a chocolate chip and place on a piece of graham cracker.

Would he like to learn some cooking skills? My son likes making cookies because of the end result. Maybe he could plan the dinner for his family-do the grocery shopping and meal prep. Put on a fancy dinner with nice place setting, a menu, music and candles.

Do you have an area to make a garden? I remember having a garden when I was that age and planting things to make a salad. Herb gardens are always fun.

13 year olds want to participate but sometimes just need the opportunity and a push in the right direction. Expect him to look bored and roll eyes. That's just the way it is. He will remember later that he had a great time.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri May 24, 2013 05:48 PM
Mall scavenger hunt?
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Fri May 24, 2013 07:52 PM
Geocaching! If you have a smartphone download the geocache app. It's basically a scavenger hunt where you use latitude and longitude coordinates to find little treasures that people have hidden. You can take something if you leave something. It's really fun! And you get to explore things that you may not have otherwise.
By dancemomtoo Comments: 2643, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Fri May 24, 2013 09:28 PM
sometimes boys like to learn to cook-especially if they like to eat-and show me a 13 year old boy who doesn't like to eat!

he can both learn meals, sweets and then also homemade brand foods -ie homemade gummy bears, home made goldfish

check out both cooking and boy activities on interest

ReplySendWatch