Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Highland - Hornpipe
Where to find Hornpipe Pattern?
By alicatunh Comments: 72, member since Wed Apr 21, 2010
On Mon May 27, 2013 04:12 PM

I'm looking to make a hornpipe costume for myself (adult sized) but I haven't been able to find a pattern. Any advice?

7 Replies to Where to find Hornpipe Pattern?

re: Where to find Hornpipe Pattern?
By heather4 Comments: 550, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Mon May 27, 2013 04:39 PM
Tartantown carries them and so does McAleer Highland Gear
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Mon May 27, 2013 10:55 PM
I get all my Unique patterns from Highland Xpress. Mary Beth is very friendly and knowledgeable about her products - our orders are always perfect! Here is a link to the page with the patterns on it: highlandxpress.com . . .

I just made a hornpipe outfit from the Unique pattern for the first time and the directions were very clear and easy to follow. I added a zipper down the front and also altered the pants slightly so they are flat-front but have elastic at the back of the waist - most of my adult dancers prefer their pants not look like potato sacks ;)
By Dancemom44 Comments: 492, member since Thu Oct 11, 2007
On Wed May 29, 2013 07:48 AM
I just finished making a hornpipe with the Unique pattern as well. I put a long non-separating zipper up the back (start of zipper sits under the collar about 4" from the nape of the neck). That makes it easy for quick changes and does not require you to add a front seam.
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Wed May 29, 2013 11:54 AM
Just to play devil's advocate with front/back zippers, I used a separating zipper on the front so the tunic doesn't have to go over the dancer's head and so she can zip up her own shirt. Good luck with your costume, alicatunh! :)
By celtic_reel Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Fri May 31, 2013 03:04 PM
The last hornpipe I made with that pattern was a long time ago, but at that time, the sleeves were VERY narrow, so you might want to make a muslin practice sleeve before cutting out your fabric.
By Dancemom44 Comments: 492, member since Thu Oct 11, 2007
On Fri May 31, 2013 05:09 PM
The unique pattern is made for an average/slender build. You may need to adjust as you lay out the pattern. Same goes for the length of the pants.
By weehighlandlass Comments: 53, member since Sat Oct 13, 2007
On Fri May 31, 2013 09:26 PM
Creative Designs carries the Unique pattern as well. I also recommend a mock-up before you start which will allow a custom fit whatever shape your dancer. Good luck.

ReplySendWatch