Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Pilates and Floor barre
By wkde Comments: 95, member since Sat Jan 19, 2008
On Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 AM

I do a bit of pilates since I am not qualified to teach full on pilates; I have devised a class comprised of gentle stretching, floor barre, and yoga. I call it floor-oga! But the question is I want to include the pilates and replace the gentle stretching. Any idea? Or can I do that?

3 Replies to Pilates and Floor barre

re: Pilates and Floor barre
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:01 PM
You can do what you want in your own exercise plan, but what are you already including? This information might help us all give you a bit more advice.
By wkde Comments: 95, member since Sat Jan 19, 2008
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 09:37 AM
Sorry about that....
I do the gentle stretching as the floor stretches - the norm as done in jazz.
The floor barre starting with first position plies/grandes, second position plies/grandes, developpes in fifth--in first and second positions, laying on your side same as 1st position, on the back lifting both legs one at a time in arabasque, and finally, developpes in 5th back {lying on your stomache.
The yoga is a downward facing dog... mine might be a variation of it....so, if someone could explain the correct stretch it would be benefical.
I would like to add in the pilates to replace the yoga {one stretch!!} exercise.....more of a mat pilates style.
I really do this helps everyone....if anything doesn't make sense, I would be happy to discuss it. And......thnx so much!!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 09:59 AM
If you're looking to replace Downward facing dog with a Pilates stretch then that would be Elephant, it's a Reformer exercise but it can be adapted for mat using a foam roller either under the hands or if you're feeling really confident and have really good balance it can be put under the feet. Under the hands is more practical for most people.

ReplySendWatch