Forum: Highland / Highland Dance Videos

Highland Dance Videos
"That Fling Thing" (BBC)???
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sat Jun 01, 2013 02:00 PM

Years and years ago the BBC broadcast a documentary called 'That Fling Thing'. It followed a few Cowal hopefuls as they went through the last few days before Cowal and then the Championship itself, and in it Colleen Rintamaki wins her (what I remember) first World title.
I recorded it onto videotape, but it's useless now. And it's not on YouTube where I can find it.
Does anyone know of the documentary still available to see?

3 Replies to "That Fling Thing" (BBC)???

re: "That Fling Thing" (BBC)???
By Celtefan Comments: 241, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 PM
"That Fling Thing" which was produced in 1995 by the BBC with Colleen Rintamaki and Tony Cargill. It is a 30 minute documentary and its last transmission date is 1996-07-10.

Perhaps you could ask to the BBC if the video is still available?

Justine, an Australian teacher (I've heard, not sure), has a Pal copy of the video she copied a lot of times for her dancers. Perhaps you can try to contact her? Only way I can give you for this is the forum website where I found the information:

groups.yahoo.com . . .

Hope it helps!
By NWHighlandDance Comments: 10, member since Mon Nov 05, 2012
On Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 AM
I have also searched for this online and can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone finds access to this hopefully you can post it for the rest of us. I remember watching this film years ago at the Simon Fraser dance workshop they used to put on and had no idea at the time what I was really seeing. Very cool!
By DaisysDad Comments: 122, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:46 PM
Edited by DaisysDad (249056) on 2013-06-02 23:47:16
Edited by DaisysDad (249056) on 2013-06-02 23:47:51
Slightly on the same topic there is a BBC documentary about some irish dancers competing in their world championships made a couple years ago. It's on youtube - www.youtube.com . . . - I thought it was good.

I found this link about 'That Fling Thing' that lists the director and producer - might be able to track one of them down for a copy - ftvdb.bfi.org.uk . . .

ReplySendWatch