Forum: Highland / Highland Dance Videos

Highland Dance Videos
Highland Vlog!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Sun Jun 02, 2013 07:29 PM

Hey DDN people! I just started a Highland dance vlog leading up to SDCCS! If you want to check it out its here:

www.youtube.com . . .
:)

21 Replies to Highland Vlog!

re: Highland Vlog!
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Tue Jun 04, 2013 02:09 AM
Subscribed. ;)

I'll watch at a more reasonable hour tho.
By FrozenGhillies Comments: 33, member since Mon Jun 17, 2013
On Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:18 AM
I must say, I love your Vlog! I find it really fun to hear about what goes on in the lives of other highland dancers, and I have been checking almost every day to see if you have posted a new video yet. I don't have a Youtube account, but would it be alright for me to post answers to your questions here?
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Tue Jun 18, 2013 02:40 PM
Yaaay! I'm glad you enjoy it :) I don't see why not as far as posting the answers here... Unless its against some DDN rule? I'll mention this thread in the next video!
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 AM
Here are my answers to what I believe to be all of the questions you have asked so far. However, some of them are somewhat extensive.

Volg #4 Questions
Q: What do you think of the Johnnie?
A: I just learned the Johnnie a few months ago, but I quite enjoy it. However, I have a tendency to mix up the balance portion of the break with the balance step in the S.T. I also don’t really like the last step, due to all the turns, but overall I think it is a fun dance.

Q: What’s your biggest problem in Highland?
A: Everything! Absolutely everything about my dancing is utterly atrocious. Specifically, though, I need to work on my elevation, turnout (especially in aerial positions), and control of my left foot. Really, I just need to work on everything.

Q: Do you practice at home? If so, how is your practice area?
A: I sometimes practice at home, and have set myself a goal of practicing at least three times/2 hours every week this summer. I practice in my basement, which is cement, and it is a really good thing that my hair is crazy and must be confined to a bun, because the ceiling is so low that I hit my head on the ducts every time I practice. Sometimes I dance on those interlocking foam mats, but even with dumbbells on the corners they slide around so much that I am afraid I am going to fall and smash my skull open. However, the washing machine makes a rather good barre for working on leaps and various other things, so that is good.

Vlog #5 Questions
Q: What do you/other highland dancers say?
A: I don’t really have very many dance-related sayings, but I do know a few.
Why can’t I get my wellies on!
Not the Flora! (Or in the case of one of my classmates: The Flora? Yay!)
Do you have any safety pins/bobby pins/elastics?

Q: Do you have any pre-competition rituals or good luck charms?
A: I don’t have any pre-competition rituals or traditions, although I have noticed that I tend to do much better when I practice a good bit beforehand…

Vlog #6 Questions
Q: How do you travel with your costumes?
A: I have never travelled by plan with any of my dance costumes, but I wear a kilt for choir and when we travel internationally we all have to carry our uniforms in our carry-on. Most of us roll our kilts, secure them with elastics, and take them in the bottoms of our backpacks. Then, we simply hang up our kilts (along with the rest of our uniforms) as soon as we reach the hotel.

Q: Do you include a step in one of your dances that you hate but feel obligated to do?
A: I hate just about any step with hop-brush-beat-beats (so really the entire Flora), but I feel that I simply must compete in all dances.

Q: Do you have any specific food rituals before a competition?
A: Not really. Afterwards, though, I typically get some delicious unhealthy baked treat from the food table that some of the parents run.

Q: Do you have a system for sorting your notes from dance class?
A: I sort my notes by dance, and then by step/movement.

Vlog #7 Questions
Q: How do you practice?
A: When I practice I typically pick one or two dances to work on, depending on how much time I have. Then, I pick a few things to work on in each dance. For example, last practice I was working on the Fling, specifically elevation and shedding. Then I practice those specific things, and fit in some stamina work by repeating the same thing over and over, such as just repeating the first step of the Fling through a whole six step dance. I also try to use different songs with varying tempos, most of which are in the two to three minute range, so that helps as well.

Q: Are you going to Scotdance?
A: Sadly, I have only been dancing for two years and am still a Beginner, so I will not be going to Scotdance for quite some time, if ever.

Q: What are you competing in the next little while?
A: All of the dances that Beginners do in my area, which are the Fling, Sword, S.T., Lilt, and Flora. That being said, I do not have any competitions until a couple of local Highland Games in the fall, because my parents will not drive me further than an hour or so away, and the only one of the three competitions this spring that falls within that distance conflicts with a choir workshop.

Vlog #8 Questions
Q: How do you deal with injuries?
A: First of all, I try to ignore them. However, once I make the mistake of accidentally letting my mother see that I am in pain, I usually ice and stretch a lot, though I do my very best to continue practicing, etc. I have also been going to Physio for quite some time.

Q: Are you on dance.net? If so, what is your username?
A: Why yes, I am indeed on dance.net, and my username is FrozenGhillies!

Q: Any forward crabwalk tips?
A: Unfortunately, I am unable to help you.

Goodness me that was a long post! Congratulations are in order for anyone who actually read all that!
On Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 PM
Vlog #9 Questions
Q: Do you wear suspenders?
A: No, I don’t wear suspenders, but my kilt has a tendency to twist around a bit, so I probably ought to purchase a pair.

Q: Do you have a highland themed stuffed animal, and do you take it to competitions?
A: I do not have a specifically highland themed stuffed animal, but I do have a doll named Jenna, and she has a full kilt outfit. However, I have not taken her to any competitions.

Q: Do you have any epic injury stories?
A: Most of my injuries are chronic, but in November I did sprain my ankle and bruise one of the joints. I was racing out the door to get to curling, and since it was 6:55 on a November morning, it was pitch dark out. Of course, I slipped, sprained my ATFL, and was even later than I was trying not to be. I couldn’t flex my foot for days, which made toe-heels rather difficult, and it was about 6 weeks before I could run more than a few steps and not be left hobbling (the swelling from the bruised bones was pressing on one of the nerves). Anyways, not a very epic or manly story, but it’s the best I have.
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 09:54 PM
Vlog #10 Questions
Q: Do you diet for dancing?
A: Not really, although I probably ought to. That being said, at present I am only a Beginner dancer, so as I move up I will likely become more serious about diet and things like that.

Q: Have you competed recently? How did you do?
A: My last competition was sometime in the spring, and I did not do very well. I came fourth in the Fling and Sword, which was quite irritating. However, when it comes to competition I am rather inconsistent in my results. The month before, against a similar set of competitors, I placed first in the Fling and third in the Sword and the Flora. It just depends on the day.

I would just like to say that I thoroughly enjoy your somewhat lengthy vlog posts. Your life seems so much more interesting than mine.
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 08:29 AM
Ah! I am very behind on my Vlog watching and question answering. Sorry!

Vlog #11 Questions
Q: Do you know any good low/no impact cardio exercises?
A: Personally, I really enjoy biking. Usually I ride my mum’s bike, which we have set up on a wind trainer downstairs, or I ride my bike outside if it is not too hot. Unfortunately I do not know of anything else that does not necessarily involve going to the gym.

Q: Are you addicted to watching Highland videos?
A: Absolutely! I will literally spend hours in front of the computer, practically drooling over the incredible Premier dancers. There are a few videos of choreographies performed by trios of world champions, and they are so insanely amazing that I just want to curl up in a corner and die, because I know I have no hope of ever being anywhere near that good. Sigh.

Q: Do you take any other styles of dance outside of Highland?
A: At present, I only do Highland, but next year I would like to take Ballet, Jazz, and Modern, as well as Musical Theatre. Because I really don’t have enough on my plate already…
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 08:41 AM
Vlog # 12 Questions
Q: Have you ever lost luggage on a flight?
A: I have lost luggage before, but thankfully only on the way home (knock on wood).

Q: Are you excited for something?
A: I leave for a choir tour of France and Spain on Tuesday (today!!!!!!) and I am really excited! The only trouble is that our days are really, really full, not to mention long, and I don’t know how much dance practicing I will be able to do.

Q: Are you, or have you ever been a provincial rep?
A: As I am not yet a Premier dancer, I have never been a rep, nor is it likely that I will ever be one.

If you are able to read this before you leave, maybe if you froze some really small bottles full of water (perhaps travel bottles or hotel product bottles), you could take them in your carry-on, and then roll them around your foot? It’s just an idea, although I am likely too late.
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 08:55 AM
Vlog #13 Questions
Q: What are you like when you’re excited?
A: When I am extremely excited, or really nervous, I have a great deal of difficulty sleeping. I also tend to talk extremely rapidly, and I just sort of vibrate with excitement and nerves.

Q: Do you have to sleep with a blanket?
A: I cannot sleep without a blanket (the heavier the better), but when it is as hot as it is now I just sleep with a light quilt. I also must have Manatee, my absolute favourite stuffed animal who I am utterly unable to sleep without.

Q: Is it REALLY REALLY HOT where you live?
A: Oh yes! Yesterday I was out volunteering at a Canada Day event, and I am fairly certain that I had heatstroke. Today, it is supposed to be 35 degrees, plus humidex, and I am not looking forward to it.

Best of luck at SDCCS! I am leaving on tour this evening, so I will be unable to reply to your Vlog posts, but GOOD LUCK!!!
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 09:37 AM
Good luck on tour! And don't write yourself off for the rep thing... You really never know. I never thought I'd make into Premier but hey... Here I am. It only took 6 years :P
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 07:19 PM
First off, I would like to say that I am sorry I have not been responding to your Vlogs, because I have been both away and exceptionally busy. I am also very glad to hear that you had a good time at Scotdance! Now then, onto the questions.

Summer 2013 Vlog #1 Questions
Q: Do you have any epic plans this summer?
A: I had somewhat epic plans, which have since been carried out, including going on tour with my choir and camping in BC with my family. In between I have been volunteering at the living history village in my city. Between insanely early mornings and a great deal of time without Internet access, I have been unable to keep up with your Vlog, and for that I apologize. I promise that I will try and do better from now on!

Q: What do you want to see in the 2014 Championship steps?
A: As I am only in Beginner, I really don't have any idea, but I would love it if there were some not-crazy-complicated steps, because then there is a decent chance that my teacher would decide to expand my repertoire of steps (yay!)

Q: What is your favourite food?
A: My favourite healthy foods are carrots (ohm nom nom!), zucchini, and blueberries, although I thoroughly enjoy most fruits and vegetables. On the less healthy side I love black liquorice, peanut butter, and dark chocolate (especially in cookies).
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 07:21 PM
Summer 2013 Vlog #2
Not being a "Jazz Bunny", I don't really have anything to say, although it is nice to hear that you are not dead.

2014 Championship Steps Questions
Q: What do you think of the 2014 Championship steps?
A:As previously mentioned, I do not do Championships, but my teacher and I went over some of the dances yesterday, and I do get to learn some new steps! Yay! I was very excited by the last step of the ST, and am practicing it with the 3rd ending (as specified in the Senior steps, I think, although I may be wrong) because my leaps are nothing short of pathetic while my shedding is decent. So, no more leaps for me (at least not in competitions, until I can get them looking a whole lot better).

Q: What should I Vlog about?
A: Personally, I enjoy hearing about the antics of other people, especially those pertaining to dance, and therefor I would be quite content to hear about your SI, Highland practice, or really anything at all. I know you had a Vlog about things that Highland dancers say, but what about things that we do?
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 07:23 PM
Haul Video-ish Thing Questions
Q: Have you gone back-to-dance shopping yet?
A: I have not, and I doubt that I really will, because I don't think that I need anything right now. However, I currently wear white socks for my Highland dances, and I really want hose. I have the money saved, and now I just need to practice lots and do well in competitions so that I can get the rest of my stamps and move up to Novice, because I have promised myself that when I make it into Novice, I can buy my hose.

Other Vlog ideas that I have come up with include showing us your stuff from Tartantown, and talking about upcoming competitions and other dance related events. If I come up with anything more original, I will let you know. Please, just keep Vloging! Your Vlogs are the best, and I have enjoyed every single one.
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Thu Aug 15, 2013 02:31 AM
I really enjoy your vlog (and your replies FrozenGhillies!). Really need to catch up mind you but I've been pretty busy.

As for video ideas, how's about show us your costumes (an episode each?) and why you picked them?

Since I sew I'm always interested stuff like that. Especially since I plan on making my own blouse, dickie, and possibly vest soon. :)
On Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:27 PM
Summer 2013 Vlog #4 Questions
Q: Are you doing any competitions in the next little while?
A: I have two Highland Games on Labour Day weekend, and I really don't know who came up with the not-so-very-brilliant idea of having the pre-Premier dancers compete Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. I'm sure that plenty of the Premier dancers are rather happy about it, but I am not looking forward to it. I would rather just compete in the mornings when it's cooler, but oh well. At least I have less time to stress over the second one (and more time to make myself physically sick with nerves for the first one...)

Q: Did you go to any Ballet or Highland SIs?
A: I don't do Ballet, and for Highland I have only been having a few private classes, but next summer I would love to do a Highland camp. There is a summer camp at the Gaelic College on Cape Breton Island that looks absolutely amazing, and I would love to be able to do that.
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 09:42 PM
Summer 2013 Vlog #4 Questions
Q: How is your year looking?
A: My year is looking rather busy, but more with school and field hockey than dance.

Q:How many classes are you taking?
A: I am only taking one class per week again this year. I could have taken up to four classes, but that would have involved dropping choir, which I simply cannot do.

Q: Are you excited?
A: Rather. I started private lessons in July to prepare for the competitions next weekend, but I am really looking forward to group classes starting up again in September.

Q: Do you think that this year will be a good year?
A: I would like it to be a good year, but that will really depend on my dedication and practicing, and also on injuries.

Q: Are you an Irish dancer?
A: Nope. I have plenty on my plate as it is, but Irish dancing certainly is very interesting to watch, and does seem like a great deal of fun. All the same, it bothers me when people say that Highland and Irish are the same thing, or ask me "so you do Riverdance?"
By Celtefan Comments: 241, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Fri Aug 23, 2013 05:03 AM
FrozenGhillies wrote:

Q: Are you an Irish dancer?
A: Nope. I have plenty on my plate as it is, but Irish dancing certainly is very interesting to watch, and does seem like a great deal of fun. All the same, it bothers me when people say that Highland and Irish are the same thing, or ask me "so you do Riverdance?"

For people who can't make difference between Irish and Scottish dance show this video: www.youtube.com . . .

It is about jig only but it is explicit enough about attire, code dress, hairstyle, and arms movements...
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 09:40 PM
Congratulations on your placings this weekend! It was absolutely lovely to meet you! I will now answer your questions...

Worlds and the 2013 Summer-y Summary Questions
Q: Have you been competing this summer? How is it going?
A: Well, I had two competitions this past weekend and I thought that I did reasonably well. On Saturday I placed third in the Fling (Yay! A stamp!), fourth in the Sword, and fifth in the ST. I quite possibly would have placed higher in the sword if I hadn't kicked the blasted thing, but ah well. Aside from e stamp, I was very pleased with my placement in the ST, because it was the first time I ever medaled in that dance, which I attribute to a new last step (one not involving a leap). However, my Flora was simply dreadful, because the stage was of course made up of a whole bunch of wooden panels, with thin metal strips around the edges, and I was dancing on the spot where four of them joined. I must have gotten stuck at least half a dozen times in the Flora alone. It was almost enough to make me wish that there was a Flora on Sunday so that I could redeem myself. Almost. On Sunday I once again placed in the ST, fourth this time, and second in the Lilt. According to both my mother and my teacher I danced a rather nice Lilt, and my placing reflected that, but I barely made it through. Normally I am quite fond of the Lilt, but yesterday I laced my right ghillie too tight, and I think that it was pressing on a nerve, because every time I put any weight on it I experienced terrible shooting pains up and down my foot. Not at all pleasant, but apparently I dance well in pain...

Q: Have you ever been to Worlds? What's it like?
A: Alas, I have never been to Worlds, although I imagine that it would be absolutely incredible.
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 PM
Start of Something New (Fix Six Vlog #1) Questions

Q: What is on your fix six list?
A: Everything! But since I have to pick six things...
1. Turnout! My turnout is quite poor, especially in second aerial position. Despite stretching every day for the past two years, my turnout capabilities have not improved at all. I am starting to resign myself to the fact that my hips are just naturally inflexible. However, I need to work on holding what turnout I do have, with the goal of eventually making it a habit.
2. High-cuts! My double high-cuts have come a long way in the past year, but I would like to work on making them more consistent and slightly higher.
3. Fling turns! First of all, I have a nasty tendency to look down whenever I turn, which I am trying to correct, and I also need to work on not anticipating the turn, and executing the point in second facing fully forward rather than starting to turn too early.
4. Pas de Basques! Overall, my pas de basques need work, especially with regards to my extensions and the timing in the Sword.
5. Hop-Brush-Beat-Beats! Specifically, controlling the extension so that it does not get too high, and keeping my working foot in contact with the ground until it touches my supporting leg and comes up.
6. Round-the-Leg Movements! Specifically keeping them as tight as possible without getting stuck, and maintaining an even height in both the front and the back.
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 06:43 PM
Gah! I really must apologize for dropping off the face of the earth, but I have been struggling against a positive tidal wave of homework, and homework must come before fun. Sorry. Now for my exceptionally late answers...

Theory Brain and NaNoWriMo (Fix Six Vlog #3) Questions
Q: Are you competing in the near future?
A: Well, I had a competition today, and it was a lot of fun. I have been rather ill, and my goal for today was simply to not pass out. I not only met my goal, but I actually danced well, and placed first in the sword and lilt and second in the flora, and won my first ever aggregate! I was rather excited, especially because this means that I only have one stamp to go until novice. Yay! (Sorry, I am a tad excited right now).

Q: Are you doing NaNoWriMo? If so... Details!
A: I most certainly am not doing NaNoWriMo. However, a friend of mine is writing a rather epic Harry Potter fanfic, in which most of the characters are based off of various friends of hers, which is cool.
By RidgeviewChick Comments: 61, member since Thu Oct 25, 2012
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 09:31 AM
What a great Vlog! I loved watching your videos!

I especially enjoyed your 5 tips for new dancers - can I use this video as a feature on my Highland dance blog? PM me :D

Thanks!!

ReplySendWatch