Forum: General / Tap / Tap Photos - Misc

Tap Photos - Misc
No more "old school taps"
By Taphead25Premium member Comments: 403, member since Fri Jul 05, 2002
On Wed Jun 05, 2013 05:35 AM

'Spoke with the sales guys at Guard Industries and Southern Leather yesterday about Continental dance taps, long the favorite of New Orleans street dancers; drum majorettes, drill teams, cloggers...anyone who needed a robust tap for non-studio use. Sadly, they are GONE! Like Selva, once the most prolific maker of dance taps in the world, these taps now join the world of Ebay collectibles. Southern shipped all their remaining shelf stock to the New Orleans store, just for the Mardi Gras parade demand. You can't live in the past; but tap dance has a RICH PAST that these old jinglers helped keep alive. We are being "Teletoned" to death! The famous Capezio "potato chip" tap and all its clones are fine on smooth studio floors; but not so much everywhere else. 'Looks as if I need to get busy with my plagiarism...we need to honor the dead, LOL.

3 Replies to No more "old school taps"

re: No more "old school taps"
By popergerm Comments: 760, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 01:32 AM
ah berry, you know how it is first hand, you have seen and seen, and saw the heyday of yesteryear, and you always have the nich market for many of your products, you are the one to carry the torch for now, so you know what you must do, to keep the old school alive, you and paul d, are the only ones that make old style taps that I know of, I am sure a machine shop can make stuff too but it would be more costly and they dont have the expertise of fitting, sad there is soo little demand for the arts that demand the products but there are still some out there that will need them

say speeking of toe tap there is a sore lack of new videos this spring recital season round not one yet, hope one pops up its soo rare to find.
By Taphead25Premium member Comments: 403, member since Fri Jul 05, 2002
On Thu Jun 13, 2013 02:48 PM
Thanks, "Pop". A computer controlled (CNC) mill can make any tap from any material; but it's a really expensive investment. Paul and I chose the knuckle-dragging, low tech, low buck foundry method, LOL. Both of us are getting old, and with a few health problems. I've been a "taphead" since age 3, starting with the Pinky Lee TV show around 1952. The way to a pretty girl's heart is not always through her tap shoes; but a way with shoe tools will win you some very nice friends. I guess I'm "retired" now...too old to get hired again at 64-1/2! The shop looks like that TV show, "Buried Alive"; but hopefully nobody else will die and dump another 2 households of junk out there! It's time to break out the silicone and maybe hire a patent search before plagiarizing old Fred Astaire and Traveler Products 69 yr. old creations! "Everything old is new again."
By popergerm Comments: 760, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:39 AM
eh someone has to do it though, and yea I know well that both of you are not quite spring chickens, lol, as for myself, well I know nothing about metal casting, or tool and die, I do woodworking, and of any obscure arts, archery bow making would problably be a closer match for my skills, there be only a few out there for example that make japanese bows in the states, I know both, in passing, there is of course lots of other makers in japan, and can be found a few other places, but they are 750 doller bows usually depending on the size, and they are hard to get the curves right.

as for our history its a shame that so few carry it on, where once there were several.

ReplySendWatch