Popular Teachers

Pirouette en dehors from 5th by vista5
When doing pirouette en dehors from 5th, I have always lifted the front foot and most generally...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
Trouble keeping leg straight in arabesque en>fr fr>en
By Pcharlotte Comments: 56, member since Sat Oct 27, 2012
On Thu Jun 06, 2013 03:12 PM

Hi!
So, the title basically says it all - I'm having trouble keeping my leg straight in arabesques, and I'm wondering if anybody has any tips. I don't know whether it's due to lack of back flexibility, or maybe hamstring flexibility. Also, I have kind of a big butt so that might be the problem too. Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

6 Replies to Trouble keeping leg straight in arabesque

re: Trouble keeping leg straight in arabesque en>fr fr>en
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7287, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Thu Jun 06, 2013 04:34 PM
You're overthinking this. Can you stand on a straight leg? Put a straight leg in front of you? Of course! You can do it behind you, too, you just have to engage the correct muscles. If I were to make a guess, it sounds like you're thinking more about height than length, which is making you pinch your back and relax the muscle that is supposed to keep your knee straight.

Go for a lower, straight, squared arabesque first and then work on lifting.
By theresemarie Comments: 336, member since Tue Feb 03, 2009
On Fri Jun 07, 2013 09:38 AM
I'm having the same problem. I have crazy flexibility, but limited strength. I can straighten my knees in front and side, but in back for arabesque is just not happening. To help I have been working on leg lifts laying down with my knee straight and foot pointed. I think of stretching my leg away from my body.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2097, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Fri Jun 07, 2013 09:42 AM
Which leg is having problems staying straight? The standing or the working leg? Is it the same on both sides, or just one side?
By Pcharlotte Comments: 56, member since Sat Oct 27, 2012
On Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 PM
AlwaysOnStage: thanks so much! I will try that technique at my next class.
Theresemarie: thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that!
Greenpumpkin: I have trouble keeping my back leg straight (the one that's in arabesque). It's bad on both sides, but worse on my left (my less flexible side).
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 316, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 PM
AlwaysOnStage wrote:

You're overthinking this. Can you stand on a straight leg? Put a straight leg in front of you? Of course! You can do it behind you, too, you just have to engage the correct muscles.
Go for a lower, straight, squared arabesque first and then work on lifting.

Interesting comment. I too suffer from bent arabesque (gesture) leg. While en avant and 2nd my leg muscles are adapting to stretching outward cleanly, But I find it more challenging a l'arriere (attitude)... and I suspect this might be due to, among many factors, the length and flexibility of my gesture leg quadracepts and other muscle groups that join my femor to my pelvis anteriorally (front side). So I have been not just working on leg raising strength, but also increasing rearward range of motion at the gesture hip joint. Any other suggestions or recommendations anyone?

Is it logical to assume that by improving one's attitude (the pose, not the mind set) one's arabesque will benefit? Right now I find my flat footed (platt) and releve'd support leg attitudes easier to maintain correct form than my arabesques. Training and conditioning-wise, should the developmental progression be to retire, then attitude, then extend foot into arabesque straitening the leg? Or is it better to grand jete from 2nd or 4th a l'arriere slowly backward into arabesque, skipping the retire and attitude phases? Opinions? Thoughts?
By BunHeadAly Comments: 151, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Sat Jun 08, 2013 08:52 AM
Your bottom has nothing to do with it. You're using the incorrect muscles as a previous poster stated.

I had the same issue and also blamed my behind but my teacher corrected my stance and it made a world of difference.

Can you ask your teacher to pay special attention to you while you're doing arabesque?

ReplySendWatch