Poll: Adults / Children & Parenting

Using recalled items, would you or wouldn't you
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 PM

With baby items, recalls go out and as parents we're faced with a choice. Do you get rid of the item, do whatever fix is offered, or take you chances and keep using it.

I can thing of two items that I've continued to use as-is, even though it's been recalled. The first is my Bumbo chair. It's a little foam chair that gives an infant support to sit up. It was recalled because people put them up on a counter or other high place and the kid pushed themselves out and fell. The fix was to put a tray across the front, so that the child was secure. I felt no need to add a tray, or to replace my chair with a new one, because I only ever use it on the floor, when I'm right there. It isn't supposed to be a safe place to leave your kid while you do something else.

The second item is my sleeping tent- Alex still uses it in places where a pack and play is too bulky. It was recalled because people put the mattress inside the tent instead of the enclosed pouch, enabling the child to roll off the mattress and get trapped against the side of the tent wall. If you put the mattress in the correct place, there is no problem, and I'm going to use the tent for Zach when Alex outgrows it.

Today at a garage sale I picked up a back pack carrier to use this summer. Turns out it was recalled, because the leg holes were too big, and a small infant could slip out. I figure I'm going to fit Zachary to it, and if need be, sew a strap that buttons across the leg opening, similar to the leg openings in the bjorn.

So, having admitted on line that I do this, are you going to call social services on me, for endangering my kids? I feel that while some recalls are necessary- where items break off and can be swallowed, or toxic elements are found, or the like, but I think some recalls are a bit silly, and as long as you are using your head and being sensible, you can keep using whatever.

Thoughts?

6 Replies to Using recalled items, would you or wouldn't you

re: Using recalled items, would you or wouldn't you
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 06:42 AM
I completely agree. If the recall is for a reason of people not using the product properly, I would still use the product. I had one of those little chairs, who on earth would put it on a counter? If the product is recalled because it is dangerous, even when used properly then that is another matter all together.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 06:49 AM
I also used bumpers in my daughters crib because once she could roll around she was always getting her leg stuck between the bars and then waking up screaming. I didn't have bumpers in the beginning but a few straight nights of getting up ten times at night to unstick her leg and then get her back to sleep I definatly went and bought bumpers. Anyone who told me to take them out got told where to go, if you know what I mean.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 09:49 AM
Not my kids, but my cousins triplets (including my Goddaughter) loved the nap nannie. They used them for a full year. They were also recalled because people put them on surfaces other than the floor. The things seemed really safe to me and super comfortable too. Once they grew out of them she tried to return them but the store, which was supposed to give a full refund would only give her $10 each so she decided to keep them to give to friends. Apparently there is also a big market on Craigslist for them too. It's a shame that a company with a great product went out of business because people don't follow directions (of course it's awfully sad that babies were hurt, but not everything is a corporation's fault).
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 08:35 PM
Yup. I agree. If its a recall due to others stupidity ill keep using it. If its due to a genuine defect then no, I wouldn't.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 08:56 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2013-06-09 21:09:39
So, having admitted on line that I do this, are you going to call social services on me, for endangering my kids?

No. I'd call social services if you were enough of an idiot to put an infant in a bumbo seat and leave them on the counter. I wouldn't even put my CAT CARRIER on the counter, much less a CHILD'S seat.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid, which is why a lot of products get recalled. Some are genuine defects, but I think a lot are due to stupidity and people wanting to make a quick buck. As in, you strap your kid into a seat, leave it on the counter and you go about your business? The kid falls and fractures it's skull? Time to sue the company, it's a faulty product! Erm, no. Not quite. Sadly, common sense isn't.

If your child fits in the backpack thing and he won't slide out, I see no issues with using it. Or, maybe have him grow him into it?

So, even though I don't have kids, sometimes adult stuff gets recalled too and it really depends on what it was recalled for. I also do have a couple recalled stuffed animals, but I don't chew on them anymore, I grew out of that about 27 years ago. ;) Also, as a kid, I got a lot of hand-me-down toys from my older cousins when at grandmas, so I'm sure some of the toys I played with were recalled, so either my parents supervised me (as parents should) or it's a miracle I'm alive.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Jun 10, 2013 09:34 AM
And of course when one is beyond parenting (or not involved - my wife and I are empty nesters) you have to consider many recalls in other areas.

I generally will take action in food recalls. Virtually every car gets a recall at some time of another. I'll usually tale it back to the dealer to check it out, but I'm not going to rush there if it is something statistically insignificant (three cars caught fires out of 2 million manufactured, for example...I'll just have it checked the next time I go to the dealer for an oil change.)

If it is something like a recall for defective wiring, I'll have it checked right away. I know enough about electrical wiring to respect it and the potential for fatal consequences. Fortunately these are quite rare. I also won't by anything electrical unless it has a "UL" label [Underwriters Laboratory, a service the insurance industry uses to manage electrical risk. A "UL" label means the lab has evaluated an electrical device for potential shock and fire hazards, shoddy workmanship, and the like.

Jon

ReplySendWatch