Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

What constitutes plagiarism?
By PeaceLily
On Thu Jun 13, 2013 02:40 PM

Hello! I am very sorry if this has been asked before but I would like to know what would be considered plagiarizing someone else's choreography? I am not very creative with dance and working on choreography skills but what if I especially like a section of a dance? Is it wrong to take one part of a combo out?

Thanks.

2 Replies to What constitutes plagiarism?

re: What constitutes plagiarism?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Jun 13, 2013 03:47 PM
Yes, I think so. I mean, it's really hard to talk about the creation of an idea, but if you say "I like this combo, I'm going to use it" is plagiarizing IF you claim it as your own. As long as you're not going out and performing or competing a dance, then that's a different ballgame. There's nothing wrong with practicing someone else's choreography...you just shouldn't perform it or pass it off as your own.

There's also nothing wrong with asking to use someone's choreo. I asked a dance teacher if I could use the Choreo we were using in class for an audition I had. She was fine with it and was flattered that I wanted to use her choreo, let alone ask for her permission to use it. :) You just have to respect if the answer is no.
re: What constitutes plagiarism?
By PeaceLily
On Thu Jun 13, 2013 07:07 PM
Thank you! By the way, I love your avatar. I love him so much :) I'm very excited for November.

ReplySendWatch