Pros & cons of lowering Competition team age
By degasdancer
On 06/13/2013 23:20:42
Hi Ladies! I've always had my competition team starting a little older, like 6th grade & up. Being a smaller school, I was happy just training them until they were a little older before I opened up the can of worms that an elite group can be. This year I think I'm going to lower the age requirement to 4th grade because I want to expand our performing group base. The basic reason I havent done it before, is to just let children be children, & focus on their training, not the drama comps can bring. Especially when it creates a dividing line between the "haves" & the "have nots", as far as talent. Any thoughts? I know several of you start them as early as the comps will take them. I only have 1 studio, so I don't have the resources to do separate classes for recreational students. Instead, I do classes all together, and then extra rehearsal times for the company kids.
re: Pros & cons of lowering Competition team age
By sciencedancer
On 06/18/2013 08:08:39
I did this same thing a few years ago. Pros- the kids all got very excited about it. I had set a required amount of classes that they needed to enroll in. My attendance is booming. Many are taking above the required amount. I have 3 tiers of groups- recreational kids, performance groups and competition groups. ALL students have opportunities to perform beyond the recitals- rec kids do nursing homes and art festivals, performance groups do 1/2 times and fundraisers/community events, and competitive kids do some community events and competitions. Kids have to audition for the performance and competitive groups- it is one audition. Competitive kids can be on a performance group as well. Cons- dealing with scheduling rehearsal time, ( I too only have one studio room). It is a lot of performances to schedule during the year! It is important to let all students that you value them equally- not matter their interest/commitment. The PARENTS-- they get so competitive! I try to go to competitions that have conventions attached. I can really focus on the education of the convention and tell them that the competition is a bonus. The kids all get along great, and we haven't has any catty issues. The parents though, that is a different story!
re: Pros & cons of lowering Competition team age
By degasdancer
On 06/19/2013 00:21:49
thanks for the help ladies! :)

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 01/25/2022 05:14:34