Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Girls Only PG-13
Embarrassing Periods... Dancers Nightmare!!!
By HorseyGirl Comments: 29, member since Sat Jun 15, 2013
On Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 AM

Personally, I HATED getting my periods. Wearing a pad and doing full developès doesn't quite work. Share embarrassing situations and tips on how to overcome it here!

TIP: Use tampons (duh! I learned the hard way)

It was after school and I went straight to dance with my teacher (she's YOUNG) and I had my period. It was heavy and I hadn't started using tampons. During the day, I had leaked and had it on my pants but I was hiding it well. Thank god I didn't get it on her car seat! I didn't get changed and sat quietly for the little kids lesson before mine. My teacher could see something was wrong and asked me several times if I was alright but I resisted in telling her. When it was my class, we got told to pull the barres out and warm up and I finally told her. She gave me some pads but it was really uncomfortable to dance in and I had a tap class afterwards. 0_o

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? All the girls in my ballet class havn't started and don't know what it's like so I feel alone. :'(

8 Replies to Embarrassing Periods... Dancers Nightmare!!!

re: Embarrassing Periods... Dancers Nightmare!!!
By Drina86 Comments: 22, member since Wed Jul 10, 2013
On Fri Jul 19, 2013 03:12 PM
You're not alone in embarrassing period stories. I didn't get my period til pretty late by the usual standards. I was 16. Well, for pas de deux during my summer intensive we had to wear a white leotard. Normally I would have worn a skirt like everyone else but I woke up late and didn't pack it in my bag... Right in the middle of class my partner quietly pointed out that there was "something on my leotard." Well, something was right... SO much blood. All of a sudden. Super embarrassing. Especially since I had a huge crush on my pas partner. At least he was nice about it!
By MollyPitcher Comments: 55, member since Tue Jul 30, 2013
On Thu Aug 01, 2013 07:49 AM
I've never been to a dance-only summer program, but I always attend a preforming arts program. During one of my dancing classes, I got my period. The class right after that was Voice, and I couldn't even stand up— got such bad cramps my mom had to take me home.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Thu Aug 01, 2013 08:10 AM
When I was dancing and hadn't started using tampons yet I just wore shorts over my leo and tights. No big deal. I know some schools don't allow that though so just clear it with your teacher first. I had a pair of black "booty shorts" or "hot shorts" or whatever they're called. We had to wear black leos anyway so the shorts basically blended in and didn't cause a distraction, I know sometimes that's the reasoning for not being allowed to wear them.
By theresemarie Comments: 358, member since Tue Feb 03, 2009
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 08:37 AM
I always wear shorts with my period. I do use tampons, but they leak so I wear pads as well. My first time with a tampon, I didn't wear shorts and it was on my tights. I had a male teacher and I was the oldest in the class. I was so embarresed. When we had to change into pointes, I put pants on over my leo. So horrible. A few years later, a female teacher told me to take my shorts off. She thought I had them on as warm-ups. I cried from embarresment. I wouldn't dance the rest of class. Periods really make life as a dancer hard.
re: Embarrassing Periods... Dancers Nightmare!!! (karma: 1)
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 09:42 AM
I suggest that if you are comfortable using tampons, then look into getting a menstrual cup (Diva Cup, Moon Cup, etc).

They are so much better than tampons and pads. After a couple times wearing them, you become so used to it that you start to wonder how you ever coped before.

You can read more about cups in this sticky: www.dance.net . . .
By Ice_Tea Comments: 8, member since Wed Jul 24, 2013
On Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:50 AM
I have had once my period during ballet class (when it was really unregular). Luckily it was not very heavy so no one was seeing anything. You shouldn´ t feel bad, because it is "normal"! Wishing youo all the best!:)
By Anadances Comments: 13, member since Sun Nov 03, 2013
On Sun Nov 03, 2013 06:30 PM
I strongly recommend a menstrual cup! They're very comfortable and they work extremely better than pad or tampon ever will combined.. Especially for dancers
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Nov 04, 2013 02:29 AM
This varies greatly from person to person, but before menopause I would occasionally have a period in which 5 days worth would all decide to dump within a day or even a few hours. It didn't hurt more than other periods but nothing, absolutely nothing, would staunch the flood. Inconvenient when at work. Well, once it was simply impossible to remain at work! That time I begged off as general sickness.

Looking back to the era in which I was trying to get pregnant, some of these may have been undiagnosed miscarriages. Or not. (But I never thought of the possibility until much later when I had a diagnosed miscarriage -- though that time I actually was able to continue at work until later when things got finished off!)

ReplySendWatch