Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Tie dye fun & easy
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Sat Jun 15, 2013 05:51 PM

Fun for all the family !

Equipment

-white sheets or tshirts ? Ill be using sheets today .
- Fabric Dye in 2 colors (and 2 squeeze bottles for mixed dye if needed)
- Upholstery Thread and needle
- Rubber bands
- Rubber Gloves
- Ruler
- Pencil
- Surface to work (we used a shallow plastic storage container)

Step one

-Prepare dye as instructed on bottle (varys from brand to brand)

- Fold Sheet In half side to side. Fold one more time to mark where the center is and return to the original position.

- Lightly sketch a half of a semi circle 12 inches from the top along the folded center to the middle mark under the hem of the sheet. From there sketch a whole semi circle with the lowest part measuring 8 inches from the top of the sheet.

- Using a ruler to measure from your original drawn line make parallel lines 4 inches below your original and another one 2 inches below that. You will have three lines total.

- Wrap rubber bands around lines to ties and gatherer the material.

- Soak top half of sheet with gathered areas in water for 15 minutes (or soda ash bath if you are using a fiber reactive dye)

- Squeeze excess water out.
- Lay top part of sheet on working surface

- Apply dye to sheet, flip sheet over and repeat taking care to be sure that dye is reaching most parts of the gathered fabric.

Step Two

- Let sit for 4-24 hours, the longer the better to make colors vibrant and long lasting. Up to yourself .

- Afterwards place dyed part of sheet in sink, snip all rubber bands
and rinse in cold water until water runs clear

- Wash sheets according to dye brand instructions.

There you go turn your old off white bed sheets into something new :) hoped you enjoyed this . I enjoyed telling you about it .

1 Replies to Tie dye fun & easy

re: Tie dye fun & easy
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Wed Jun 19, 2013 09:56 AM
If anyone made cool designs feel free to share :) I will be tie dying my old gone off white bikini soon.

ReplySendWatch