Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Rolling up
By Dancewiththewind
On Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 PM
Edited by Dancewiththewind (259341) on 2013-06-15 23:02:38 I spelled the wrong word instead of the word video because my computer automatically changes it to whatever it wants me to spell!

When I watch videos of dancers performing en pointe they roll to pointe on one foot and I tried but I guess I am just supper weak. How do I develop more strength and what exercises should I do?

9 Replies to Rolling up

re: Rolling up
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 06:00 AM
You said in another thread that you've been studying ballet for 6 months, and that you want to achieve a professional level of skill in it. But if you're already working with pointe shoes, that is a red flag to me about the quality of the teaching you're receiving. Normally, it takes at least three years of study to get to pointe shoes. Going on pointe too early is at best a waste of time, and at worst a way to get permanently injured.

The direct answer to your questions is... it's not working because you've only been studying ballet for six months, and we can presume that your feet are weak. You should develop more strength by putting away the pointe shoes and studying ballet technique for the next 2-3 years. And work hard on your feet, of course --- which any ballet teacher should be able to show you.
By Dancewiththewind
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 AM
Thanks for your concern but my teacher just told me what I was doing wrong and I can roll up now. I have very strong feet and my teacher allowed me to go en pointe and I trust my teachers opinion. I have proper placement and I practice 10hrs a week. I am not every other person in the world who doesn't have proper placement or attention. Thanks.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 PM
Still, it is the most prominent opinion that pointe shoes should not be worn without a very strong base in ballet technique and vocabulary. You're not going to find a lot of people that change that mindset because your teacher says it's okay, because then we become skeptical of your teacher.

Ask your technical questions to your teacher.
By Dancewiththewind
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 PM
Thanks. Yeah I was just upset when I posted this because my friends could and they played a joke on my by telling me the wring way to. I am doing lots of strengthening escersizes now because I asked my teacher. Thanks for all of your concerns.
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 01:14 PM
First you said you're "supper weak." Then you said you have "very strong feet." Now you say you're doing a lot of strengthening exercises, which would be more consistent with "supper weak" than "very strong feet." Whatever state your feet are in, it's clear that you think you're a better student than most.

But that's what we all think: "if I work super hard, I'll find a shortcut." The reality is, there are no shortcuts. Working long, hard hours doesn't make you a star, it's just the MINIMUM of what's needed to make progress as a ballet dancer. Everyone who makes it, works AT LEAST as hard as you are working now, pays attention AT LEAST as well, and has AT LEAST as proper placement. People who don't work as hard as you rarely make it in the professional dance world.

Frankly, I don't believe your placement is as good as you think it is. I've found ways to improve mine over a period of YEARS.
By Dancewiththewind
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 02:40 PM
Yeah sorry. I just didn't know what was the problem if it was mt feet or what. I am new to this site song don't really know how things work. Thanks for your concern, I really love dance and I won't let anything stop me from loving dance.
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 03:36 PM
Keep dancing, it really is the best! :)
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 18, 2013 08:22 PM
Out of curiosity-- what where your friends telling you to do, and what did your teacher tell you? If you were watching videos of people rolling up successfully, it's hard to imagine what your friends could have told you to lead you astray. Rolling up isn't rocket science-- what you would see in a good video is pretty much what you should be doing, there aren't any "secrets" or "tricks" about it if your placement is correct, as you say it is.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 18, 2013 09:11 PM
There are different ways to get en pointe. I learned to spring up en pointe, not to roll up.

Also, listen to greenpumpkin on this.

ReplySendWatch