Forum: Highland / Highland - Guys

Highland - Guys
Dress tartans
By highlandlad Comments: 3, member since Wed Jan 30, 2013
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 07:07 AM

From the few male dancers I have seen competing in highland dance they seem less likely to wear dress tartan (main color and white) and are more likely to wear darker colors like at weddings. Does this mean dress tartans are considered more a feminine style or do guys often wear dress tartans as well?

10 Replies to Dress tartans

re: Dress tartans
By heather4 Comments: 550, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 07:44 AM
I think all of the premier male dancers in our area wear dress tartans. There are lots of dress tartans suitable for male dancers.
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 08:28 AM
I think save one, every male dancer I've seen in Comps have been wearing a dress tartan of some sort. Typically the darker colours, navy blue, greens, blacks etc. though I did see one wearing turquoise and it looked smashing on him!
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2018, member since Fri Jul 23, 2004
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 AM
One of the boys in our province wears lime green and I think he has lime green trews too! My brother and another boy in our studio wore the burgundy Cunningham in Premier...
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 07:45 PM
I've seen most male dancers in dress tartans, and have seen lots of pictures, as well. Here is a sample: pinterest.com . . .

The only Premier dancer I've seen recently (last 5 years or so) in a non-dress tartan was in military dress.
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Fri Jun 21, 2013 01:30 AM
In my area I've never seen a male dancer in a non dress tartan.

I've never seen a male dancer in a 'girlish' colour tho.
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Fri Jun 21, 2013 06:00 AM
Historically, men wore solid coloured tartans and women wore tartans with more white in them because wool started out white, and women got the cheaper fabric for their apparel.

Up until a few years ago, highland dancers stuck with this traditional distinction between the genders, even though the conventional wisdom was that more white in the tartan helps you stand out on stage.

Recently, I guess, guys have been more concerned with competitive advantage, than wearing traditional tartans.

For weddings, men don't need to stand out to judges, so they still like to wear the darker tartans.

That said, my brother (a non-dancer) has a dress Gordon kilt that he inherited from an elderly neighbor.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Fri Jun 21, 2013 05:54 PM
My son dances in dress Gordon. It's a nice tartan for boys and easy to find.
By cuttlefish Comments: 48, member since Thu Aug 16, 2012
On Fri Jun 21, 2013 06:24 PM
I've seen a lot of bright lime green and turquoise on boys/men in my area. There doesn't seem to be too much of a gender divide in terms of tartans, apart from the bright pinks/purples which I have yet to see on a male. I'd just pick whatever tartan you like.
By bree_dancer Comments: 308, member since Wed Nov 02, 2005
On Fri Jun 21, 2013 07:08 PM
www.youtube.com . . .

This little fellow is dancing in a pink kilt. What a great mother to let him wear what he wants :)
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Fri Jun 21, 2013 08:24 PM
If my son's father wasn't so adamant on his wearig the family tartan (MacKenzie) I would so let him wear a pink tartan if he wanted to. Heck I might still let him if he REALLY wants to. I've come across a purple version so...

That little boy's skin looked wonderful against that tartan. We have the same skin tone so something to think about. :P

ReplySendWatch