Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
Catholic Sterotypes
By LyraOdette Comments: 69, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Sun Jun 23, 2013 05:36 PM

As a Catholic this is a list I would like to share. Please note that Sterotypes along the lines of 'all Catholic support abortion—false!' will not be recorded, as I do not disagree with any of the teachings of the Church.

- All priests are child molesters. FALSE.
Yes, it is terrible what happens to children under sick clergy. However this is not the Church's fault. I believe that abuse by religious is more publicized then abuse by non-religious because subconsciously most of us hold them to a higher standard. (I am not making a molehill out of a mountain, it is a terrible problem that needs to be solved. Any suggestions on how would be appreciated.)

- Catholic Schools brainwash children. FALSE.
Um, everyone who says this is then like, "I went to St. Joan of Arc School fifty years ago so I know how it was." if I looked at your Facebook page now and in fifty years, I'm pretty sure it would be pretty different. Same with schools.

- All priests/Catholics in general are boring Bible-pushers who think everyone is a sinner. FALSE.
One of our priests thought about being a spy before entering the seminary, and another can do backflips! And none of them are the least judgemental.

- All Catholic school girls are sluts because they are sex-deprived.
Ewww. No sluts in my school.

Post yours!

6 Replies to Catholic Sterotypes

re: Catholic Sterotypes (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Jun 23, 2013 07:11 PM
No sluts in your school? How are you aware of everyone's sex life? Did you take a poll or something?
re: Catholic Sterotypes
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sun Jun 23, 2013 07:56 PM
I went to a catholic school my whole life and they do attempt to brainwash to a point. We had science textbooks with the evolution pages ripped out, we weren't allowed to read books that said anything that went against the church and if you happened to disagree (as I did with the church being anti-gay marriage and anti-birth control/abortion) you are warned to stay quiet or risk being kicked out.

My school was full of promiscuous girls like any other school (and pregnant ones got expelled)

The preist overseeing my school told me I was a sinner and going to hell when he noticed my self harming.

So although your experience may be different, I don't necessarily believe its true for the entire world.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Jun 23, 2013 08:06 PM
I felt that religion was shoved down my throat in catholic school. I hated every moment of being there.

We had sluts at my school.
By LyraOdette Comments: 69, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Sun Jun 23, 2013 09:01 PM
Thank you for all of your positive, non-offensive comments.

We have people of other faiths attending my school. We have no sluts and no one has a sex life (the fact that we are a K-8 may be a factor). If they do they do not publicize it, but I seriously doubt it. We were taught about evolution in science class.

And if by praying often or trying to find God in everything one does is 'shoving religion down one's throat', yes, it probably was.
re: Catholic Sterotypes (karma: 1)
By SoClassy Comments: 316, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 03:55 PM
To a non-Catholic, a Catholic school would probably feel rather forceful. I don't think I would like going to a school of a different faith than my own (which, for the record, is Catholic).

In regards to your first point, that whole scandal was awful. It is so sad that a moral leader would do that. NOBODY should do that, but when it comes from someone who preaches love it is even worse.

I can't say anything about brainwashing at Catholic schools as I never went to a Catholic school, but I can see how some would brainwash. Galileo was put under house arrest by the church for believing the earth revolved around the sun. So no, the church isn't perfect and often forces imperfect beliefs on members. Moving on.

About the sluts, what is a slut? Is it sex? Sex with multiple partners? Revealing clothing? Please please please do not ever call someone a slut, to her face or behind her back. What people do naked is their own business. Sometimes it has difficult consequences, but again their business. Jesus hung out with all kinds of people without judging, we can too. I know you don't mean to be judgmental, I really do. Public Service Announcement: nobody is a slut, nobody is trash, and nobody is any worse of a person than you or me.

I'm glad you like your school. It really is wonderful that you have found a school that you love and wish to defend. Unfortunately, some people (such as LLD and Megan) have had bad experiences. Imagine being forced to go to a Muslim school and being told you were a sinner for eating pig.

Some Catholic schools have really good academics, some have poor academics. Some have a welcoming and friendly student body, some have judgmental and clique-ish student body. Some are great, some aren't. Same with public schools, charter schools, private schools, and everything else in this world. That's why stereotypes can be so misleading.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 04:24 PM
^ Did you mean LLD and Believe? Because I posted nothing in this thread...

I went to a catholic school as well, though, and I don't think it was much better or worse than any given public one. As for the rest of it...well, I can tell that you are very young, and I think this post will be a little embarrassing in ten or fifteen years if you come across it then. At your age, it's hard to see the grey areas and the differences between one person's experience and a universal truth. I'm not that old or wise or anything, but even at this point in my twenties I have gained enough perspective to understand that these kinds of things are not always true or always false.

ReplySendWatch