Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Babysitting for Young Tots
By LyraOdette Comments: 69, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 08:59 PM

Hi,

I am getting my first 1-2 hour baby sitting job Thurday while the mom is @ a funeral singing. There are two little boys, about four and about two.

IMHO this mother is not jaded enough yet because everything her children do that is not right is rewards by kissing and baby talk. When I was their age I was already being given the silent treatment.

Also I dont like toddlers.

So. Fun things to do? Keeping them out of trouble? Tips of keeping them from spattering red paint on our white couch again?

Thanks.

11 Replies to Babysitting for Young Tots

re: Babysitting for Young Tots
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 09:11 PM
Ask her to find someone else since you disapprove of her parenting, hate toddlers and think her kids are brats?
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 09:23 PM
Edited by Tunie (138112) on 2013-06-24 21:25:22
First tip: If children are wrecking your home, babysit them at their house, not at yours. I will not watch children in my home for this reason.

From what I've read here and in your diary, you have no experience babysitting at all, and you strongly dislike children, so I have to ask, honestly, why do you want to become a babysitter?

If you really do want to become a babysitter, you should at the very least take the basic babysitting course, and spend some time as a mother's helper. Children should not be left alone with a young teen with zero experience. I'm honestly surprised this mother hired you.

P. S. The silent treatment is not an appropriate way to deal with a child's actions either, especially at such a young age.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 PM
Call me crazy, but if you don't like toddlers why are you babysitting?
re: Babysitting for Young Tots (karma: 2)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:04 AM
Duct tape works well.

But yes why are you baby sitting if you don't like toddlers?

Maybe try to do some sort of a non messy craft with them? Paper bag puppets? You can do a puppet show afterwards if you have enough time.

I don't like a lot of parents styles of parenting. But usually bite my tongue. I'm sure people don't like mine.
re: Babysitting for Young Tots (karma: 2)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 AM
Maybe a Disney movie or other G rated movie? Crayola makes this special paper and marker set that ONLY work with each other. So if they slip and draw off the paper, it won't show. Yes, it really does work. I think it's called "color wonder" or something like that. Essentially, nothing with small pieces and nothing that's harmful if eaten.

If all else fails, I'd suggest valium in their juice. Dog crates also work well.
re: Babysitting for Young Tots (karma: 1)
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 06:08 AM
Movies/TV are okay once in a while (and honestly, probably best for this one situation), but a sitter should never rely on them. Good sitters do not just stick kids in front of a screen all the time. If she truly wants to become a sitter, she needs to learn to cope with kids and keep them entertained.

Also, Crayola Color Wonder is amazing stuff! But it's also REALLY expensive. I try to avoid spending money on my charges - I don't make very much to begin with, so spending it on the kids doesn't make much sense. Parents should be providing those things for the kids. I'm not saying that a sitter should never ever ever buy something for their charges, but do try to keep it to a minimum.

Just to clarify for the OP and any other young people reading, the suggestions of Valium, dog crates, and duct tape are FAKE and should therefore NOT be used.
By RifleBuddy Comments: 306, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:00 AM
Take them to a park or playground. Bring a snack and a blanket and have a little picnic.

I'm also curious as to why you're babysitting small children when you don't like them. It won't be a good experience for you or them. Also, how is it your place to judge the mother's parenting style?
By smartytartymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 48, member since Tue Dec 04, 2012
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 AM
I feel that if you really want the least hassle, plop them in front of the TV or computer for the two hours you're there. Of course that isn't the best choice, but it is an option. Another would be to let them play with each other, with their toys or maybe outside running around. These two options, I think, would take the least amount of action from you.

Other choices like crafts, taking them out, etc. all require you to keep an eye on them and sometimes help them out.

Anyway, good luck! Kids can be dastardly little things but I think it's all worth it in the end to see their chubby little faces smile :)
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 PM
Normally I would love the idea of a sitter taking their charges to the park, having a picnic, etc...

However, this child (she is thirteen BTW) has NO experience caring for children at all, so in this case, it could be a total disaster.
By RifleBuddy Comments: 306, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 01:06 PM
Oh, that changes everything. Then by all means, tv or movie, some paper and crayons, and a snack (crackers or the like), especially since it's a short amount of time. I also hope there will be an adult available to reach in case an emergency arises.

I can understand the OP wanting to earning some pocket money, but there are better ways to go about it.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 06:38 PM
I'd recommend turning down babysitting jobs in the future - if I was leaving you in charge of my four year old, and read this, you'd lose the job, pretty promptly.

Until you've got experience with kids, I recommend keeping them as contained as possible. Nix the park, absolutely NO trips to the pool or anything of the like. Ask the mom what sort of art supplies they have on hand (my at the time four year old had multiple Color Wonder books...the perks of being an only child, I guess...), their favorite movies, and to leave you easy access to a snack. Go through their toys, and stay in doors.

Four year olds are fun, they're little people, they've got opinions, they can do stuff. Two year olds are a little bit frustrating in that respect - they're old enough to know that they want to be doing stuff, but not actually old enough to independently do any of it, so they get frustrated really easily, which can be frustrating to deal with.

ReplySendWatch